Craic'er
My Motorhome: 08 Sprinter Rapido
Base Vehicle: MB Sprinter xlwb 311
Subject:

VRT tax for Peugeot Boxer 3.0 van import

· 
Posted: 18.10.2018  ·  #1
Good day to all!

Is anyone who can advice the value of the VRT tax to pay for a imported Peugeot boxer 3.0 hdi van, ex ambulance in UK? I tried to check on ros.ie but with no chance. The van is 2012 made. Would be a good infor before taking the decision to import to convert it camper.
Thanks in advance for any reply/advice.
Alin

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2018  ·  #2
13% of the value of it on donedeal or Gumtree or adverts.ie

Alin
Craic'er
Subject:

Re: VRT tax for Peugeot Boxer 3.0 van import

· 
Posted: 18.10.2018  ·  #3
Thanks for reply sprinter!
It's taken in consideration the value on bill I payed for it or an average value on the market?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2018  ·  #4
Hi Alin, you're importing an ambulance not a motorhome, so the VRT will be the rate for an ambulance, what ever thai is.
After conversation it will have to be assessed again for VRT as a motorhome, you then will have to pay the additional difference as part of getting it re-categorised as a motorhome.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2018  ·  #5
Revenue's decision on market value

Alin
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2018  ·  #6
It's more clear now for me, thanks for replies! Looks like it's not the best decision to import such van, a lot of additional costs :(

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2018  ·  #7
While the original question is about vrt tax, there is another elephant in the room to consider for future van conversions into campers .
EU Bodybuilding type approval for commercial vehicles.
The uk has been implemented this across the different vehicle categories from 2009 until 2013.
While here in the ROI, full implementation began in October 2014.
In short to convert a commercial van, N1, into a camper, M1, will be a massive paperwork exercise.
There is a link to an uk article about body type approval,

https://www.smmt.co.uk/2013/01…standards/

Malcolm

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2018  ·  #8
I have a feeling that the conversion of commercial vans is not worth the hassle, There are nearly 850 Motorhomes / Campers for sale on Done Deal alone, not to mind the other for sale sites or all the ones that are sitting in Motorhome Dealer yards, surely there is one out there that will suit you with out that hassle. it was different 20 years ago when Motorhomes were like hens teeth

Alin
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2018  ·  #9
Quote by Thorn123

In short to convert a commercial van, N1, into a camper, M1, will be a massive paperwork exercise.

Thanks for this tip Thorn123, I didn't take in consideration this aspect.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2018  ·  #10
Quote by CHAUSSON

I have a feeling that the conversion of commercial vans is not worth the hassle, There are nearly 850 Motorhomes / Campers for sale on Done Deal alone, not to mind the other for sale sites or all the ones that are sitting in Motorhome Dealer yards, surely there is one out there that will suit you with out that hassle. it was different 20 years ago when Motorhomes were like hens teeth

I am inclined to agree ,I got a van that was N1 on commercial insurance, at a good price and then paid for the M1 conversion. But I don't think I would go down the road of buying a van out of country and converting it .unless it came very cheap, I would look at home first ,and then see what the dealers have to offer. Good luck in your search,it's all part of the journey. Please do keep us informed, it helps everyone.

Alin
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.10.2018  ·  #11
I took all advices you gave me guys and I gave up with the UK ambulance. My wife was against this idea as many disease can be inside. Also I made some quotes to Insurance companies and couldn't find one to insure an ambulance.
Having saying this I bought a Sprinter extra long van which will be converted into a nice MH :)

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.10.2018  ·  #12
A better choice in choosing an extra long van. Look at other conversions before you decide on your layout. Most campers/ motorhome owners are very approachable and are more than willing to show off their priden joy.
I am presuming that you have researched the N1 conversion to M1 for the log book.
A different thing to consider, is that some camper insurance companies required a separate form to be filled out for a new customer or a new camper/ motorhome to their business. This form is quite comprehensive on things like 220 volt electric done to reci standards, gas appliances meeting national standards, extra seatbelts meeting their standards and so on.
I only know this because when we purchased our first mh, 3 years ago, this form landed in the post along with the proposed quote. Since we had purchased a preowned coachbuild mh from a dealer, the dealer filled in and stamped the insurance form.
In short, who ever does your conversion, made sure that they are recognised and willing to complete a similar form.
I would hate to see anyone been bitten on the ass, because there are operators out there looking for a quick buck.
Malcolm

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.