Craic'er
My Motorhome: VW T5
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Looking for a Mazda Bongo

· 
Posted: 18.09.2018  ·  #1
Hi everyone!

I'm looking into buying a campervan and my head has been turned by Mazda Bongos! I think they look nice and are small enough to be an ok drive while still being big enough for my boyfriend and I to travel with our three dogs. However, I know they are kind of old now so would it be crazy to get one? Are they reliable? Secure? What sort of brake system have they?

If any of ye have/had one, what would your advice be?

Thanks!

Lanzecki
Subject:

Re: Looking for a Mazda Bongo

· 
Posted: 18.09.2018  ·  #2
Hi. My mother has one. Disks all round. Very nice to drive, and surprisingly nippy if you let the automatic box take it's time. The raising roof is enough space for 2 adults (if friendly), but is awkward to get into. Access is via a hatch that opens in the middle of the roof. So getting in and out requires moving the bedding to uncover the hatch. If there were two sleeping in it, you are going to have to both be awake.

It's hard to explain but the human access hatch to the roof is built into another hatch that takes the same footprint as the sleeping space up top. This can be lifted on gas struts to give standing room.

Space wise in the cabin is good, it's more then long enough to sleep adults with space to spare.

As to the dogs, their size is the decider I guess. If they are small then no problem. Possible to get them to sleep in the roof? Just a thought.

Most unconverted campers have two rows of rear seats. Normally the 60/40 split seat is removed and the other seat is turned to face the rear, and slid to back up the the drivers seats. Or just leave it at the back of the van and have restricted access from the rear, but much better access from the front.

Mileage on these when they are first imported seems crazily low. Rust and damage is near low, but check the paint isn't damaged by sun (the lacquer lifts). Generally they are very clean underneath. MPG? Maybe 27

The engines are said to be bullet proof as long as they never overheat. It has 2 starter batteries up front, so you could loose one and put a leisure battery in.

The side windows have powered curtains built into the walls.

Lanzecki
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2018  ·  #3
Ohh, Access to the engine is by rolling the two front seats backwards as the engine is under/between the two front seats. The oil dip stick is there. That said it's surprisingly quiet. Normal voice conversations are fine.

Security : Central locking. This one doesn't have press button to lock\open.

It all depends on the price. But, remove of of the seats and go camping that evening is possible. It's not like it's a commercial van that needs a lot of work.

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2018  ·  #4
Thanks Lanzecki! You've definitely made me feel a bit better about Bongos! (Bongoes?) My head has been melted with all of the options out there...should I buy a van and get it converted? Get a regular van that has been converted? Or go with the aesthetics of classic camper!

My dogs aren't small but they aren't too big, doubt they'd go in the roof but I imagine they'll be happy out on the floor with a duvet down for them!!

Unfortunately my budget is only €7,500 and that would have to include any refurbishing the van might need.

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2018  ·  #5
You are probably aware there is a Ford version, the Ford Freda.

Go to copart.co.uk and look under Recreational Vehicles. There is a 1999 Bongo up for auction in Sandwich, Kent, 20/09/18.
These are mostly damaged/repairable and you need to be registered or have a friendly garage person to bid.
Any road it might provide interest. You can view.

Eyore
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Homebuilt Campervan.
Base Vehicle: Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2018  ·  #6
Always seem to be several on Done Deal with prices between about €4 to 6k. I think they look great and was well impressed when parked beside one recently.

Lanzecki
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2018  ·  #7
County Cars Of Sussex was where this one came from. Directly imported from Japan. 4-8k is about the right price. The upper end being already converted, or a very good model.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2018  ·  #8
Look at Japanese car importers you might find one or ask them to get you one

Lanzecki
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2018  ·  #9
Just spoken with my mother. She's on her own with one large dog. She's thinking about trading up to a bigger van. She cannot get in the top sensibally (age), so she is restricted to the 'ground floor'.

And you are thinking 2 adults and 3 dogs...

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2018  ·  #10
Quote by Lanzecki

Just spoken with my mother. She's on her own with one large dog. She's thinking about trading up to a bigger van. She cannot get in the top sensibally (age), so she is restricted to the 'ground floor'.

And you are thinking 2 adults and 3 dogs...

To be fair, I'm only in my 30s so I should be able to get in the top!! But I take your point...it might be a bit too snug for the 5 of us on an extended trip :-/

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.