Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Sat-Nav app for motorhomers launched

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #41
Definately not infallible Jamie.
Yes, does try and route you down smaller roads at times, but I think that is to do with ‘fastest v shortest’ route. Like most other units I’m sure it will have its inconsistencies.
I’ve only used the standard Sygic in France/Spain and it works better than the standalone tomtom I have. I run it on an iPad and find the large screen superb.
The additional features I have is lifetime traffic which works well and have lifetime European map updates. I like the idea of automatic updates on WiFi which means no plugging in and faffing around to update maps like the standalone units... maps are always the most current.

I’ve bought the caravan/motorhome version in June this year and as yet not used it abroad, so it will be interesting on our upcoming trip.
It works well here in Ireland, recognizes border crossings, all of the lower bridges are recognised and the speed feature and traffic warnings all work superb.
For research purposes I’ve purposely programmed the height too high to see if it routes correctly to avoid obstacles, and it does. ( except low hanging Donegal branches and trees !)

Takes a bit of setting up with dimensions etc but once that’s done it works exactly the same as the car version albeit with a slightly different graphical depiction. Junction exits off motorways are very clear, also the spoken instructions are clear and are loud enough from the standard iPad speakers.
Other features are available with WiFi or data enabled such as traffic which I find works extremely well. I’m not sure where it gets the traffic data from but even here in Donegal where a bridge between two towns has work being performed, therefore traffic restrictions are in place.... it warned me (route is yellow for congestion, red for stopped traffic) that there was a tailback and suggested an alternative route.... quite impressed with that.

So all in all it’s a good solution for motorhoming and a much cheaper option than a standalone dedicated camper SatNav if you already own a suitable tablet/phone and in my view it has better integration in the form of updates and features.

So for the price I think it’s good value and I think apps such as this will be the future and the days of a standalone SatNav unit have peaked and this is becoming the normal way of GPS navigation.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Sat-Nav app for motorhomers launched

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #42
TomTom have a 48hour sales pitch on from today.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #43
do you know if you can you switch between iPad and iPhone?
Quote by JJF

Definately not infallible Jamie.
Yes, does try and route you down smaller roads at times, but I think that is to do with ‘fastest v shortest’ route. Like most other units I’m sure it will have its inconsistencies.
I’ve only used the standard Sygic in France/Spain and it works better than the standalone tomtom I have. I run it on an iPad and find the large screen superb.
The additional features I have is lifetime traffic which works well and have lifetime European map updates. I like the idea of automatic updates on WiFi which means no plugging in and faffing around to update maps like the standalone units... maps are always the most current.

I’ve bought the caravan/motorhome version in June this year and as yet not used it abroad, so it will be interesting on our upcoming trip.
It works well here in Ireland, recognizes border crossings, all of the lower bridges are recognised and the speed feature and traffic warnings all work superb.
For research purposes I’ve purposely programmed the height too high to see if it routes correctly to avoid obstacles, and it does. ( except low hanging Donegal branches and trees !)

Takes a bit of setting up with dimensions etc but once that’s done it works exactly the same as the car version albeit with a slightly different graphical depiction. Junction exits off motorways are very clear, also the spoken instructions are clear and are loud enough from the standard iPad speakers.
Other features are available with WiFi or data enabled such as traffic which I find works extremely well. I’m not sure where it gets the traffic data from but even here in Donegal where a bridge between two towns has work being performed, therefore traffic restrictions are in place.... it warned me (route is yellow for congestion, red for stopped traffic) that there was a tailback and suggested an alternative route.... quite impressed with that.

So all in all it’s a good solution for motorhoming and a much cheaper option than a standalone dedicated camper SatNav if you already own a suitable tablet/phone and in my view it has better integration in the form of updates and features.

So for the price I think it’s good value and I think apps such as this will be the future and the days of a standalone SatNav unit have peaked and this is becoming the normal way of GPS navigation.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #44
Yes, I have it on iPhone SE and the iPad.
Multiple devices possible as long as they’re on the same Apple ID ..... obviously not cross compatible on the same account if Apple/Android.
Lot of iPads are not GPS enabled, the ones that are have the receiver antenna built in as shown, the black band at the top upper part of the iPad.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2018  ·  #45
Quote by CHAUSSON

Any Craicers using the Copilot Caravan Europe? if so how do you rate it?

Decided on the CoPilot app for our recent holiday in France and Spain and found it excellent for the money, a couple hiccup's with it was when entering roundabouts sometimes it didn't count the number exits correctly, if you follow the symbol on the screen that was correct, another annoying thing was when the phone rang the sat nav turned off and that usually was at the very time you needed it most. also it didnt display my speed or correct lane like my old Tom Tom. however it was very easy to understand and never got us unto trouble.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.