The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

French polarity

· 
Posted: 06.09.2018  ·  #1
So a couple of days out from our first trip to France, and abroad for that matter, I just realised that French EHU relies on the two prong euro plug. All along I just assumed that I would hook up with a c-form plug as I do at home and that the only variable would be polarity. Well luckily I did manage to dig out a euro plug to kettle power cable which I will chop and add a c-form female plug and presto, my adapter. Where I work, these cables come commonly with Dell, and HP servers etc. and we usually throw them out. But I managed to find one.

Now the question is which polarity should I choose? I don’t think it will matter too much for my equipment if polarity is wrong. But I would rather go with the most common configuration. Ideally I could wire up two, one of each polarity. But no time for that now. How do the more seasoned craicers manage this?

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: French polarity

· 
Posted: 06.09.2018  ·  #2
You will find most sites have the standard blue 16 amp sockets. Most of the 2 pin and side earth will only plug in one way, so that’s not an issue either. The main issue is that what you are plugging into could be reversed polarity. Bring a plug in socket tester with you. Any wholesale for under €10. And check your polarity in the van when you have plugged in

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2018  ·  #3
Oh so they do blue c-form too. Well I’ll be prepared for both. Unless I get to a wholesalers before setting off, my polarity checker will be my multimeter. What’s the worst that could happen 🤯💥

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2018  ·  #4
A lot of years ago I made a short (about 40cm) lead with the live and neutral reversed. If the post has reversed polarity I just connect in one end of the main cable.
It only cost a few quid and is very handy. I only had electric a handful of days in France this year and used it once. The same location was also the only place I needed a two pin adapter.
If you don't get sorted you can pick up the two pin to euro adapter in most large supermarkets over there.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2018  ·  #5
Just out of Holland, the 3 pin plug that shows polarity, showed no earth, now in France showing reverse polarity. I carry a short piece of cable with the wires reversed and add it to my mains

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2018  ·  #6
Quote by TommyS

Just out of Holland, the 3 pin plug that shows polarity, showed no earth, now in France showing reverse polarity. I carry a short piece of cable with the wires reversed and add it to my mains

I have the same. In this scenario, two wrongs do make a right ;-)

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.09.2018  ·  #7
I also bought a kettle cable and put a blue 16A socket on it a few years ago and it worked fine until it fried on a site in Spain last week for some reason. I had to go to an electrial shop and buy a two pin to blue16A adapter.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.09.2018  ·  #8
Polarity won’t matter on an AC connection.

The danger lies in that any 240 volt appliance can have live at its point of use even when switched off as you are switching the “neutral” in a reverse polarity situation.
The French use double switching to prevent this.
While reversed polarity won’t harm an AC appliance (it reverses polarity 50 times a second anyway, 50~HZ) we do need to be aware that a 240v appliance can be “hot” even when switched off, be particularly careful with light bulb fittings as one prong can be live even when switched off.

Our earth is bonded to neutral here in Ireland.

I use one of these to sort reverse polarity, with one plug with +/- wires swapped and marked with a strip of tape to identify which one. Works well and handy to use. Carry a 2 pin to 16a adaptor to sort the Frenchy plugs !

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.09.2018  ·  #9
I would have to agree with that JJF. I don’t think my appliances will mind. If I get the time though I might just wire up a reversed polarity adapter i.e. short male to female 16a c-form wired arseways!

I am a bit surprised they have non-earthed two pronged outlets though. And without an earth reference I won’t be able to measure polarity with a voltmeter 🤔

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.09.2018  ·  #10
Quote by The Rambler

I would have to agree with that JJF. I don’t think my appliances will mind. If I get the time though I might just wire up a reversed polarity adapter i.e. short male to female 16a c-form wired arseways!

I am a bit surprised they have non-earthed two pronged outlets though. And without an earth reference I won’t be able to measure polarity with a voltmeter 🤔

One like this from local electric wholesale
Plug tester example

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.09.2018  ·  #11
Oh scrap that last bit about not having an earth. As I currently chop open a two pronged cable to make an adapter, I see how the earth works.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.09.2018  ·  #12
r sharing a socket

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.09.2018  ·  #13
Quote by witzend

8 yrs traveling europe and Never bothered about it just don,t do any work on system while lead connected.
The adapter pictured above is ok but might not work every where as some sockets are inside water proof boxs and tight to other sockets. I made my own male plug with 2ft of leads going to 2 female plugs

Agreed Witzend.
I never bother now changing either.
I have no 240v appliances that aren’t double insulated that could cause problems....
AC is alternating after all, no harm to be done.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.