StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Extras to buy to make wild camping easier

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #1
Let me start with a health warning; I am not the most experienced camper and no doubt others would disagree with some of my suggestions or add items.
If I had just got a new to me MH and I was planning lots of wild camping especially in mainland Europe what extras would I personally invest in?
1, gaslow or similar refillable gas bottles or an lpg tank with an external fill point.
There are many advantages to a refillable lpg system, no lifting bottles, no need to change regulators or change bottles in different countries.
With gas this will do heating, cooking, fridge, hot water.
2. Second leisure battery the same spec and age as the first leisure battery.
3. If you don’t want to drive every or every other day then solar panel(S) will charge the batteries subject to wiring regulator etc. How many panels or how many watts will depend on your electric needs and roof space, climate etc etc but as a winter user I would aim for 150watts or more.
4. Unless all your electrical equipment is 12v then a decent invertor 1500/2000w pure sine wave works for me and wired so that all my sockets can work off the invertor.
5. At least one spare toilet cassette.
The above could cost around 2k so not cheap but all of the above could be taken off or out again if you change your van.
So if you did 100 nights wilding instead of 100 nights at €20 in a site you are near cost neutral. Plus you have greater flexibility and freedom.
What else.
6. SOG system no need for toilet chemicals.
7. Additional security systems.
8. All the Aires books, or similar
9. An “app” showing Aires, service points and parking spots.
10. An Aldi folding bucket.
11. Watering can with a long or flexible spout.
If any one wants to add to this list or suggest alternatives feel free.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Extras to buy to make wild camping easier

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #2
MiFi unit for Internet.
A 125cc scooter in our case.

Your list is good, have all of it except second cassette and SOG.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #3
We usually wild camp and we can go 2 to 3 days without moving the van. So far, haven't had the need for a 2nd leisure battery or other means of charging. Driving for an hour or two should be enough to top the battery back up.

We do use powerbanks to charge our tablet/phones, they're not that expensive now these days and they do take some responsibility out of the leisure bat.

A 2nd cassette would be nice, just don't have a garage to store it. We do use the green chemical anyways so we could potentially use a public restroom if absolutely necessary but it's our very last resort.

Don't you forget about a portable BBQ, when wild camping it's a must :)

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #4
Quote by RTV

We usually wild camp and we can go 2 to 3 days without moving the van. So far, haven't had the need for a 2nd leisure battery or other means of charging. Driving for an hour or two should be enough to top the battery back up.

We do use powerbanks to charge our tablet/phones, they're not that expensive now these days and they do take some responsibility out of the leisure bat.

A 2nd cassette would be nice, just don't have a garage to store it. We do use the green chemical anyways so we could potentially use a public restroom if absolutely necessary but it's our very last resort.

You can get a fiamma cassette carrier that fits easily under the MH. I had one on my previous van.
Carried a cadac safari chef 4 years in a row. Didn’t use it once. But I’m sure most would.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #5
From previous posts on this site, I am trying out the non chemical toilet treatment alternative such as Napisan or Bio-tabs. Ok so still chemicals but not toxic. So maybe even a SOG is not necessary.

A second cassette would be nice but also following advice on this site, I went out and bought a cheap Aldi water canister for camping etc. You can empty your cassette into this for a couple of days storage. So a second cassette isn’t really necessary.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #6
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Quote by RTV

You can get a fiamma cassette carrier that fits easily under the MH. I had one on my previous van.
Carried a cadac safari chef 4 years in a row. Didn’t use it once. But I’m sure most would.

I guess I'm a little bit more Argentinian that you are... I use mine every single damn time weather allows :D :D

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #7
Quote by JJF

MiFi unit for Internet.
A 125cc scooter in our case.

Your list is good, have all of it except second cassette and SOG.

I have the mifi and scooter too. And 3 cassettes in total, third cassette is probably overkill but we got stuck on a beach after very heavy rain a couple of years back hence the 3rd cassette and why I’m very careful choosing access roads.
I personally rate the sog system very highly.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #8
Quote by The Rambler

From previous posts on this site, I am trying out the non chemical toilet treatment alternative such as Napisan or Bio-tabs. Ok so still chemicals but not toxic. So maybe even a SOG is not necessary.

A second cassette would be nice but also following advice on this site, I went out and bought a cheap Aldi water canister for camping etc. You can empty your cassette into this for a couple of days storage. So a second cassette isn’t really necessary.

I have met quite a few who carry a black waste carrier (24ltr) and it’s a lot cheaper than a second cassette, easier to store and less chance of spills. Not sure I fancy decanting the cassette to the black waste carrier or emptying the black waste carrier either but totally agree its a good solution.
SOG means adding nothing whatsoever so after installation no costs there after.
And from experience no worse smells when using or emptying the cassette and it breaks everything down. But the colour ain’t great!!!

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #9
I’d have to agree with you on both counts. The sog system is great, and a second cassette is almost a necessity too. Same as, don’t know if I’d like to be faffing about with black waste from one container to another. Cassettes aren’t that expensive when you consider the price of the van

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #10
Quote by Daffysparks

I’d have to agree with you on both counts. The sog system is great, and a second cassette is almost a necessity too. Same as, don’t know if I’d like to be faffing about with black waste from one container to another. Cassettes aren’t that expensive when you consider the price of the van

Second cassette if you buy a fresh up kit under €100 so agree not bad for the flexibility it offers, subject to storage.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #11

Will look at that suggestion Jamie, never saw that before and with a new freshen kit it leaves us with a spare cassette and new lid etc.

We’ve used bio liquid for a while and find it works well and more environmentally friendly for disposal and has the added bonus of not having the acid smell of the blue liquid... we find it does a better job than the “proper” stuff too. Cassette is much cleaner and no pong to speak of.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #12
Quote by JJF

Will look at that suggestion Jamie, never saw that before and with a new freshen kit it leaves us with a spare cassette and new lid etc.

We’ve used bio liquid for a while and find it works well and more environmentally friendly for disposal and has the added bonus of not having the acid smell of the blue liquid... we find it does a better job than the “proper” stuff too. Cassette is much cleaner and no pong to speak of.

https://www.fiammastore.com/Fi…-Container

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #13
I would add to my van a bigger waste water tank.( the water tank is bigger then the waste ) and a spare cassette.
The Cadac also.
I considered a new passenger but the disposal of the old one is too expensive.

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Rechargeable light

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #14

This can be useful, bought in B&Q £35 completely potable, charges from both mains and 12v. Two light settings, approx six hours on lower setting. Very bright.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #15
Good luck to all you really wild campers, but in the meantime I'll stick to 1 MH, 1 battery, 1 solar panel, 1 water tank, 1 waste tank and cassette. Enough to deal with at the minute!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #16
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Good luck to all you really wild campers, but in the meantime I'll stick to 1 MH, 1 battery, 1 solar panel, 1 water tank, 1 waste tank and cassette. Enough to deal with at the minute!

You are right. that and good management is all you need ,and is all I have, but life can be seen to be easier with a little extra.

AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2018  ·  #17
We don't have solar panels but they're definitely something we must look into (we've a 6 berth with 2 fixed beds and have been looking for a 6 berth with bunks for the last 12 months but no joy. Might look into getting a single bed conversion in the garage) so have been reluctant to invest in solar panels until we decide what way we'll go as very happy with our van aside from the bed issue (3 kids- 2 girls and one boy!).

When we park off grid we tend to eat out but when we're away in Ireland for extended periods, we've tended to cook. I love my slow cooker at home and in the camper so invested in a wonder bag and find it brilliant. Head out for the day exploring on foot or bikes (or even driving the Motorhome) and dinner is ready after a few hours. Got great use out of it in France and Germany this year.

Also find the solar power banks great for charging phones, tablets and the kids DS's.

Hubby invested in one of those large black canisters from Aldi referred to above for emergencies if the toilet cassette gets full, but fortunately we haven't had to use it yet (he looks after that side of things thankfully!).

Waterways Ireland card is also handy to have in the van. Haven't had to use this either but useful to have.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2018  ·  #18
A second cassette yes ,as for the sog system I made my own and saved over £120 pounds it’s only a fan that comes on when you open the cassette flap not only that I added a timer which lets the fan run for whatever amount of time I set it at sog don’t have these once you close the flap there fan goes of

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2018  ·  #19
One of the things that bugs me is a couple hours after parking the mh on grass, the levelers sink. To combat this I have a few 1 metre lenghts of 9"×1" timbers in the garage to throw under the levelers.
We were at the electric picnic last weekend and the family camper section was very soft. One or two wagons needed a tow while parking up last Thursday night. The mh were parked in order of arrival regardless of their size or weight.
It didn't bother us to throw our 9"×1" under our wheels and have a smooth exit on Monday morning.
There are still quite a few campsites that needed a timber under the leveler, for the waste water to run smoothly.
Malcolm

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Brush

· 
Posted: 04.12.2018  ·  #20
Brush.
We have always carried a little dustpan and brush but this year in addition we bought a 4’ sweeping 🧹 which is far easier to use for sweeping under the table etc. I have also bought a hand brush like a wall paper brush with strong nylon bristles and keep this in the door bin. Less space needed than a dustpan and I can use it at the door to take sand etc off my shoes and to brush off the matts.

D A V
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Second Cassette

· 
Posted: 05.12.2018  ·  #21
Has the Aldi water container bit enough of a opening to empty the cassette into it ? ,my last motorhome had a spare cassette never had to use it ,I only once had a problem with this motorhome and a country filling station allowed me empty it after I had bought fuel.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2018  ·  #22
Quote by D A V

Has the Aldi water container bit enough of a opening to empty the cassette into it ?

Some containers have openings large enough. Don't get them mixed up though

tutti
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #23
Hi,I was hoping for some advice on this topic regarding gas I'm hoping to spend about six months in France/Spain next year and was wondering what my best options were.im currently using butane.should I just convert to propane? ,and buy a couple of regulators ?,or look for refillable s or an outside filling point ?,all suggestions gratefully accepted

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #24
My advice for what it’s worth I would be looking towards fitting refillable tanks so that you can fill up anywhere.

tutti
Subject:

Gas

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #25
Thanks very much for prompt reply,any idea of ball park cost?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #26
If your van is post 04 you should run it on propane anyway as it has a 30mb regulator fitted, if your going to campsites and in warm weather you won't use a huge amount of gas

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #27
French cylinders have a different connection to Irish cylinders.
Some of the hyper supermarkets sell their own branded cylinder gas, along with wall mounted regulators, and pigtail pipes. A small investment for a 6 month spell away.
The supermarket diesel is often cheaper by 10 to 15 %.
A onboard lpg refillable system, I would be guessing about €500 for a basic system.
Alternatively advertise around for a European cylinders and regulator etc. There are a good few campers imported each year, so someone must have an euro gas system, lying around.
Malcolm

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #28
Malcolm I got gas, propane in e leclerc last summer, and it is the exact same connection as in Southern Ireland. Spain is different alright. €10 will buy a clip on head with the connection on the side for Irish pigtail

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #29
David, Spain also has the same clip on regulator as Republic of Ireland.
I refill my own bottles but have bought a Spanish lightweight bottle (€5 in flea market) and refills available everywhere for about €16.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #30
Hi Jon. Hope you are enjoying your trip. As far as I know, the clip on here is for butane not propane. I have only got propane here, Red cylinder with the screw on end for the pigtail. I did wonder would the Spanish clip on I got fit on a butane cylinder. It is not a regulator though purely an on off valve to allow connection to my pigtail

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #31
Yes, going good David...... enjoying the weather.
It’s a Cespa Butane one David, very light bottles too.
I checked the regulator and it’s the same pressure too.
I’ve got the pigtails on a snap release fitting and it’s easy to change over.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #32
Glad you’re enjoying it. That sounds handy. Obviously there is no problem swapping between butane and propane then. Good to know if you were stuck

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #33
Be VERY careful about the Irish/Spanish clip-on system, also known as the Jumbo.

There are two versions which look similar from the outside.
One is a REGULATOR and the other is an ADAPTOR

The ADAPTOR can only be used if there is a BULKHEAD MOUNTED REGULATOR fitted

Using a clip-on adaptor or a direct pigtail connection without a bulkhead regulator will result in pure liquid gas arriving at the appliance, NOT GOOD (understatement).

The W20 PIGTAIL can be fitted directly to the screw on connection, as in Irish and French Propane, and the Spanish/Irish clip-on adaptor

Finally, appliances (fridge, heating and cookers) in motorhomes are set to run on Propane. HERE'S WHY

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2018  ·  #34
I thought all Motorhomes had a bulkhead mounted regulator, is that not the case. My Spanish clip on is definitely only an adapter, not a regulator. No, it wouldn’t be good to mistake one for a regulator. But if I was unable to get propane and butane was available the clip on would keep me warm and fed

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2018  ·  #35
Quote by Daffysparks

I thought all Motorhomes had a bulkhead mounted regulator, is that not the case. My Spanish clip on is definitely only an adapter, not a regulator. No, it wouldn’t be good to mistake one for a regulator. But if I was unable to get propane and butane was available the clip on would keep me warm and fed

AFAIK all motorhome do come with a bulkhead mounted regulator, BUT I've seen a few with bottle top regulators, perhaps previous owners have changed the system for reasons known only to themselves.

As an aside, the clip-on adaptor has the same thread like that on a screw-on bottle, so if you get an Irish or French type propane bottle it's just a matter of removing the clip-on adaptor from the pigtail and connecting the pigtail directly to the bottle. Conversely, if you're in Spain and get a Spanish bottle of propane (about €12.75) a clip-on adaptor can be connected to the pigtail.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2018  ·  #36
That’s exactly the way I use mine normally

tutti
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2018  ·  #37
Hi,thanks for all the replies,however I'm a luddite,I have a MC Louis 2005 and it has butane bottles,so should I change to propane firstly and buy adaptors for Spain/France?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2018  ·  #38
Quote by tutti

Hi,thanks for all the replies,however I'm a luddite,I have a MC Louis 2005 and it has butane bottles,so should I change to propane firstly and buy adaptors for Spain/France?

Can you post photos of the existing setup. What size are the bottle's you have.

tutti
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2018  ·  #39
Hi, I'll stick up pic tomorrow, but basically it's a 11kg bottle in outside gas locker

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2018  ·  #40
Yes, it’s impossible to say without seeing the system, but generally yes, it probably would be best to swap them out for propane for all of the reasons above

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.