Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

Small crack on roof

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #1
Folks,

While putting my surfboards up on the roof I saw a small hole on the top of the roof (I'll put a pic later). It looks like it's a lamination/gel coal type of stuff. I was thinking of doing a fiberglass repair but it looks like there's some kind of insulation right underneath so I wonder if the heat from the resin could mess it up?

For the time being, I added some silicon sealant to avoid any type of leak but it's obviously not a long term solution.

I call on your wisdom for advice!

Cheers,
Rami

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Small crack on roof

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #2
Any of the roof patches that I have seen, are from the removal of something, sat dish, air con, etc or from a puncture by storm damage, a flying roof tile,etc.
The patch used is a square of light aluminium sheeting glued with a good bonding agent, all of which have been done by dealers or professional mh repairers.
Malcolm

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #3
Rami, this is what I would do, get a square of aluminium about 2 inches bigger all round the hole, so for a half inch hole ,say 4inches wide. File a champher around the top edges and then clean the under side and around the hole with wire wool and then wipe with acidtone or nail polish remover. Cut a block of wood one eight of a inch smaller all around and say two inches high. Put the plate on the hole and mark around with a pencil. remove plate and put masking tape up to the pencil marks, It makes it easier to clean up after. Put an even coat of adhesive on the plate and put it on its place. then put the block on top and then on top of the block say a house brick to weigh it down overnight. I would personaly use sycoflex as I stuck the legs of my solar panel on my roof 14 years ago and it is still there. You could paint your patch the colour of your roof before you fix it. Hope it helps

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2018  ·  #4
Thanks lads, I did exactly that with an aluminium plate and seems like it worked like a charm.

I even took the opportunity to remove the old TV antenna which I don't use and probably doesn't even work anymore and blocked the holes, went through to days of constant rain and not a bother, so happy out.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.