Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: FRENCH TOLL TAGS AND OVER 3M

· 
Posted: 13.03.2018  ·  #41
What I have noticed is two pillars on entering the toll lane, these I think scan via infrared or some such method the vehicle going through and it records the height and charges accordingly, to me it explains how something like a sat dome could make a van cross the magic line to the next class

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.03.2018  ·  #42
Mark. We are about 3.1m but tag axle, 4500 kg they class us as a lorry.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.03.2018  ·  #43
Quote by Helgahobby

I once read that the way they work out the band is the height of the bottom corner of the windscreen from the ground. This is done on a similar system to the number plate reader, is that wide of the mark, Mark?

I have never heard that Nick I thought it was height and length. You never know. LOL

Quote by TommyS

Interesting Tommy. We are 3.03 high 4250 KG and have bought a toll tag to use this year for the first time. We always get scanned as class 2 at the payage but am just interested in what class others are getting scanned as.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #44
Quote by mark

Quote by Helgahobby

I once read that the way they work out the band is the height of the bottom corner of the windscreen from the ground. This is done on a similar system to the number plate reader, is that wide of the mark, Mark?

I have never heard that Nick I thought it was height and length. You never know. LOL

Quote by TommyS

Interesting Tommy. We are 3.03 high 4250 KG and have bought a toll tag to use this year for the first time. We always get scanned as class 2 at the payage but am just interested in what class others are getting scanned as.

We are 2.8 and 4.25, class two.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #45
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

FRENCH TOLL TAGS AND OVER 3M

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #46
I received this from ATMB last week, anyone else get it ? . not altogether sure exactly what it means . I get there is an increase in rental charges and the offer to waver the rental for three usages in the one month , but not sure if they intend to apply charges for the dormant months.
Its A google lost in translation.

ATMB
Dear Client),
We are pleased to have you as our liber-t Electronic Toll Evasion subscribers.

To thank you for your loyalty, and more particularly when using ATMB highways, a new benefit is reserved for you from 1 April 2018

- the liber-t Evasion subscription fee will be offered from the 3rd pass ATMB carried on in the month. So your subscription will be free month concerned, only the toll charged at the current rate.

For example, if you borrow once the toll Bonneville and of Nangy, the third passage on ATMB trigger free of monthly subscription fees!
Because qu'ATMB has at heart to contribute to the development of the territory and offer you the best conditions, this advantage will allow you to enjoy the unlimited toll for traveling on our network.

As of that date, the price of the monthly subscription fee will be 1.90 € / month circulated.

You can find the new terms and conditions of issue and use of your subscription, effective April 1, 2018, by clicking this link .

You get automatically to the new conditions.

Our customer advisors are available from Monday to Friday from 7am to 19:30 and Saturday from 8.30 to 16.45 on 0800 074 100 (free call from a landline).

We ask you to accept our regards and wish you good road ATMB.

The ATMB Customer Management

Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #47
Quote by sprinter

I received this from ATMB last week, anyone else get it ? . not altogether sure exactly what it means . I get there is an increase in rental charges and the offer to waver the rental for three usages in the one month , but not sure if they intend to apply charges for the dormant months.
Its A google lost in

I got it too.
Like yourself, my understanding (with very limited french) is if you use it three times in any month your monthly charge will be waived for that month.
There is no mention of a new charge for inactive months but I suppose we will find out next month. LOL

Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #48
Quote by Helgahobby

I googled it and although this is the M4 in England system, I'm pretty sure it's universal in most respects.

https://www.m6toll.co.uk/pricing/vehicle-classification/

French system is different Nick.
The link below shows their classes. We are officially class 3 but in the credit card lanes we are always scanned as class 2. I am assuming the same software / scanning system is used for the toll tag lanes as the card lanes

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2018  ·  #49
OK. I can now answer my own questions from post one in this thread.
We traveled down in convoy a few days ago with other craicers who didn't have the tag. We both were charged the same (classe 2) price.
So it would appear that Autotrail height of 3.03m manages to slip into the 3m category.

My original questions in bold below.

Has anyone experience of being over 3m using the toll tag?
We were charged the same (classe 2) as last year in the pay lanes

Does anyone think the weight will be an issue?
Weight seems to be nothing to do with it, only height

If you use the ATMB App does it show the charges in real time
The app is only for traffic at mont blanc.
They say your activitie is visible on your account in 24hours but we found it to be more like 48hours.

I hope this info may help someone in the future.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2018  ·  #50
Our 7.2m long 2.2m wide and 3.2m high van at 3500kg has always been charged a class 2 rate on the ATMB tag.

HappyCamper73
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2018  ·  #51
We're just back from France, 7.2m long with bike rack and 3.1m high, drove to Italy n back, had atmb tag, but in almost every toll we were stopped and classed as class3, each time we asked to be changed to class 2 (in our most polite french!!) but the agents refused to change in almost all occasions. We're 3.1m high (or maybe 3.13 at the most). Very disappointed, because from reading this message thread before we left we thought we might have a good chance if being class 2, but in reality it wasn't the case.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2018  ·  #52
It seems from the info contained on this thread that it is a lottery if you are charged at class 2 or class 3 ?
Seamus there has been charged class 3 (even on appeal to the kiosk) with a van that is 4 inches lower than ours........ yet we’ve only had to pay class 2.
Seems to be a flaw in their system that can lead to higher charges....... wonder what that flaw is?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2018  ·  #53
Quote by JJF

...... wonder what that flaw is?

No idea. Will keep an eye on the charges on the way back up.

Maybe sat done, roof rack or something?

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2018  ·  #54
I still don’t know why the French Motorcaravanners don’t try and get a concession for motorcaravans. The farmers, lorry drivers etc can do it

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2018  ·  #55
Couple of questions please.

Is Class 2 under 3 metres and Class 3 over 3 metres?

How much is the difference in toll charge?

Thank you.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2018  ·  #56
Quote by AliPhatCamper

Is Class 2 under 3 metres and Class 3 over 3 metres?

YES

How much is the difference in toll charge?

APPROX 50% more

Thank you.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2018  ·  #57
Quote by mark

Quote by JJF

It might well be.
Our van is about 3 metres high, the top box protrudes about an additional 200mm, but it’s off to the rear LHS and maybe not taken into account.
If a van has an overall height of 3.1m for the entire roof area then maybe it’s caught as being 3M plus and gets hit for class 3.
All speculation on my part I must add.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

FRENCH TOLL TAGS AND OVER 3M

· 
Posted: 25.08.2018  ·  #58
Quote by JJF

Quote by mark

Quote by JJF

It might well be.
Our van is about 3 metres high, the top box protrudes about an additional 200mm, but it’s off to the rear LHS and maybe not taken into account.
If a van has an overall height of 3.1m for the entire roof area then maybe it’s caught as being 3M plus and gets hit for class 3.

JJ what do you mean by top box ? Is this something that is added to the roof, if so they don't count it , they don't count satdomes roof box's ,racks etc .I posted the regulation a while ago .unless your actual body is over 3.1you are class 2.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2018  ·  #59
We're 3.05m by the factory specifications, I'll hold my hands up and say I've never measured it, the max height would be on the barrell vaulted section over the overcab bed with most of the roofline dropping well below 3m. There is an aircon unit (probably higher than the 3.05m) on the roof further back which by the specifications should be counted in height but I can't see any kind of automated measuring system distinguishing between it and a roof box which apparently shouldn't be counted.

On our recent trip to France we used the ATMB tag for all of our Tolls, every time I was looking the screen we were class 2 except for one toll booth where we showed up as class 3 or 4, I don't remember which, just that the toll tag was rejected. I pressed the buzzer and said "C'est un Campingcar Classe two I mean deux" and the situation was promptly corrected and the AMTB tag magically lifted the barrier. I must check the statement to see that we did indeed stay class 2 on the rest of the journeys.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2018  ·  #60
Quote by sprinter

Quote by JJF

Quote by mark

Quote by JJF

It might well be.

JJ what do you mean by top box ? Is this something that is added to the roof, if so they don't count it , they don't count satdomes roof box's ,racks etc .I posted the regulation a while ago .unless your actual body is over 3.1you are class 2.

Top box as shown below.
Martin, Your explanation explains why we’re always class 2, we’re around the 3m mark, the top box protrudes the additional 200mm to 3.2m overall height.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2018  ·  #61
Quote by JJF

Quote by sprinter

Quote by JJF

Quote by mark

Quote by JJF

It might well be.
Our van is about 3 meters high, the top box protrudes about an additional 200mm, but it’s off to the rear LHS and maybe not taken into account.

JJ what do you mean by top box? Is this something that is added to the roof, if so they don't count it , they don't count satdomes roof box's, racks etc .I posted the regulation a while ago .unless your actual body is over 3.1you are class 2.

Top box as shown below.
Martin, Your explanation explains why we’re always class 2, we’re around the 3m mark, the top box protrudes the additional 200mm to 3.2m overall height.

Here is a copy of an article I picked up from one of the UK websites
article of interest.
If a vehicle’s ‘basic’ height is less than 3 metres but reaches or exceeds 3 metres as a result of things being attached to the vehicle’s roof, whether or not the increased height ‘counts’ depends on exactly what those things are.

This link is to a French-language leaflet describing the autoroute vehicle classification system.

http://www.autoroutes.fr/FCKed…E%20BD.pdf

On the right of the leaflet is a section headed "Les Critères” that relates to vehicle height and includes a “Remarques” (Notes) section.

This says

"Things that DO NOT affect the total-height calculation
- Loads carried on the roof or on a trailer.
- Accessories such as antennas, roof-boxes or roof racks, rotating lights, taxi signs, satellite aerials, roof lights, solar panels.

Things that DO affect the total-height calculation
- Additions to the basic vehicle, such as truck sleeping pods, air-conditioners, refrigeration units."

So if your motorhome’s height is LESS THAN 3 meters without taking its roof-mounted sat-dish/dome into account, it should be charged the Classe 2 tariff.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2018  ·  #62
I would love to know how they came up with the classes, none of it makes sense, We are Class 4 (triple axle) 4500 kg. So my reckoning we are putting 1500kg on the road for each axle. A van of 4250 two axle is putting more pressure on the road per axle but is Class 2 or 3. I pay the same as a large lorry. ( well not all the time as I push the button and say I am a camping car and usually get away with class 2). If they push to class 3 I don’t argue

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.