voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Cycling possibilities - from Cobh Aire

· 
Posted: 12.03.2017  ·  #1
For those of you who take bikes on your travels, this may be of interest.
Having tired of the hills around Cobh during previous visits, we cycled approx 3km back along the road to Cork to take the ferry to Passage West and learned from a ferry local passenger that there is a cycle path from the village to Cork city. When you get off the ferry, turn right. After approx 1 km turn right at O'Briens pub in Passage West village and you join a cycle path that brings you to Pairc Ui Caoimh. We then cycled through some roads through an industrial estate which brought us almost to the city centre. We chose instead to head to Blackrock, had lunch and rejoined the cycle path near Blackrock Castle and back to the ferry. Great scenery, helped by great cycling weather yesterday.
Maybe 15 km each way, easy cycling. The ferry was 2 euro per bike return.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Cycling possibilities - from Cobh Aire

· 
Posted: 14.03.2017  ·  #2
:up:
Thanks for the info.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2017  ·  #3
Thats a nice one!

And if you dont fancy cycling all the way over to the city, you can cycle to Mahon point shopping centre with it's cinemas restaurants shops etc...

Red route from Cobh to Mahon point.
Orange route a continuation from "the black bridge" and onwards to cork city. Mostly cycling along the waterfront which is nice.

Its a nice route on the old railway line, so not very challenging if you're used to cycling reasonable distances.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2017  ·  #4
Excellent information from voyager, thank you and to blag for the map. I had looked at the potential route on google satellite and am pleased to say that blags map confirmed my thoughts.

Been to Cobh a few times, but always seem to explore Cobh (we love the old cemetery with the graves of sailors from WW1 and the victims of the Lusitania) or take the train to Cork.

Look forward to trying this option.

Davy

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #5
We are currently on the Aire at Cobh. About 24 vans tonight, only about 10 last night!

Anyway, this afternoon we cycled from the Aire to Blackrock Castle Observatory by way of the ferry crossing to Passage West and then by the old railway track bed which has an excellent surface and of course is level. Took the detour to the Mahon shopping centre for tea and buns and then on round the waterside path to the observatory. At that point the chief executive decided that due to a headwind and tired legs and posterior we should turn.

I just wish to thank Voyager for suggesting the route and Blag for the map. A really excellent afternoons entertainment and perhaps next year we will finish the route into Cork city centre, although the chief executive states categorically that this will NOT replace the train, shop, lunch, more shop, train routine that seems to occur each time we visit Cobh.

Thanks guys, highly recommended.

Davy

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.