Cost of sites & Air con

kevin1946
My Motorhome: Elddis Autoquest 400rl
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer 290 MWB
Subject:

Cost of sites & Air con

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #1
I am new to campervanning I startedm june. 2017 so not much experience,I have only stayed on sites as the BOSS won't wild camp,I have 200 watt Solar 220 investor etc but I always pay for electric and use it for everything including air con,heat microwave coffee machine toaster etc. I think this is wort paying for ,but I won't pay for showers I prefer to struggle.I think 30€ is a rip off and I have not found cheaper yet.
Air con! I bought a small portable unit on eBay 15"D X 18" H 18" W for 280£ In 2016 delivered it fits in the loo while driving and when parked we move the seats forward and it fits there,it has a van window kit to let the heat out and it kept it at 18 on the hottest days.my van has a rear lounge so it fits well up front.
Kevin

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Re: Cost of sites & Air con

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #2
My Boss was like that, wouldn't wild camp, always stayed on sites with showers, toilets and EHU.

Turns out we only used the EHU for boiling the kettle, a bit dear at a fiver a go. So went went on a road trip earlier this year, picked out a selection of Aires at a tenner a pop and then went out to Sherkin and stayed on a friends boat.

After a night on the yacht, everything else is luxury and if we can find safe convenient parking where other motor homes are (Kinsale, Dungarvan) we do so.

Try the likes of Portumna (€10) or Terryglass (free) and get a Waterways card for the toilets and showers, toilets are free with the card and showers are 2 points off the card (about €1.30 a shower) but plenty of room for 2 or a few kids.

You'll be putting the A/C away soon enough.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #3
If you have the app, use some of the proper motorhome aires, they are the ones with the blue mh logo.
As Eamonn has said, tye irish waterways have their own toilet blocks on site.
Maybe one of the best to use, as a confidence builder is the Marina in Carlingford co Louth. €10 per night, no ehu, but full secured toilet block on site along with a cracking good Indian restaurant and pub.
The issue with only using campsites is that most as closed by Halloween with shortens your touring season.
This was main reason as to why we switched from caravan to mh, 3 years ago.
Malcolm

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #4
How could I forget Carlingford

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #5
Cobh is a great stopover as well at a tenner a night.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #6
I've 200 watts of solar and never take ehu when using a caravan and camping park unless it's included in the base price.

For space and water heating gas is way cheaper than the usual price of an ehu.
A 1200 or 1500 watt pure sine inverter will run most coffee makers, if one is desired.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2018  ·  #7
Quote by kevin1946

I am new to campervanning I startedm june. 2017 so not much experience,I have only stayed on sites as the BOSS won't wild camp,I have 200 watt Solar 220 investor etc but I always pay for electric and use it for everything including air con,heat microwave coffee machine toaster etc. I think this is wort paying for ,but I won't pay for showers I prefer to struggle.I think 30€ is a rip off and I have not found cheaper yet.
Air con! I bought a small portable unit on eBay 15"D X 18" H 18" W for 280£ In 2016 delivered it fits in the loo while driving and when parked we move the seats forward and it fits there,it has a van window kit to let the heat out and it kept it at 18 on the hottest days.my van has a rear lounge so it fits well up front.
Kevin

The requirement for Aircon in Ireland is rare in my opinion although this year has been an exception. You are more likely to need heating.

We did 81 nights in 2017 (only 10 had hookup and on two of those we forgot to use it. We have no Aircon, 100w solar panel and gaslow.

We are currently sitting in an Aire with over 30° (and have been in over 40°) in France with no Aircon or electric. Park in shade (if possible) if you prefer less heat. Keep blinds closed and windows open. Use silver screens in sunny conditions. All these keep the temperature down.

Many members on here will do similar I am sure.

As has been mentioned, try the waterways. At this time of year you are unlikely to be alone by the time you are settling down for the night.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.