Doing France on a budget.

alien alan
Craic'er
Subject:

Doing France on a budget.

· 
Posted: 21.12.2012  ·  #1
I am planning to buy a Motorhome soon and go to France for a few weeks in summer. Is there any why of doing it without big expense? I have read good and bad reports about Aires.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Doing France on a budget.

· 
Posted: 21.12.2012  ·  #2
France is a great country and you can spend as much or as little as you wish,Aires are in good supply but the ones on the motorways are better used only during daytime.
Aires in towns are generally quiet and safe and you will normally be accompanied by several other campers.
Have a good one.

NTG

Robbie

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.12.2012  ·  #3
Aires are great and thats the most important book of them all all the aires. last year we spent around £80 to £100 on fees for just over 3 weeks. Some inland aires, some basic free ones and some on the sea front that were free and some where €8 ish euro a night, If ur like us and like ur bacon, fill the freezer with bacon and beef before u go as bacon in france is rare and naff. Also consider some municipal sites as we stayed on one that was €9 a night with EHU and the local aire was €10.
That aside and your fuel Bill the rest of the holiday is like being at home, just depends on how much you want to eat out or cook your own.
After that its on the sights and places u want to visit that you have to pay to enter.
If your UK based get a caxton credit card, its a pre load card that you can add to when the rate is at a max, if your southern based this wont be a consideration.
Hope that helps

alien alan
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.12.2012  ·  #4
This all sounds very promising. I will look out for the book once I get a motorhome. I prefer to live like a local when I visit a country so if there is no bacon I will manage without it. Thank you to everyone for your advice.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.12.2012  ·  #5
Robbie is correct about the guide book All the Aires which can be bought here

My reason for the link is that it is a crap website to find anything on the first time you visit.

It is an invaluble guide for France on a budget.
Many Aires are free ( even in summer) as they are provided by the local comune. The idea is simply to attract visitors into their villages to stay and make purchases. You will be shopping or buying fuel anyway so why not do it where the facilities are laid on.

As for Bacon in France, it is available but hard to find. Dont buy anything in a large supermarket labeled as Bacon as you will find it is little circles of cured pork. Ask for poitrine fumée in the boucherie, this is about as close to streaky bacon you will find in france and it is fine.

As you have said, live like a local is the secret to a real french trip.
Just go and enjoy it..

alien alan
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2012  ·  #6
Thank you again. I will ask be asking more in the future.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.