Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Tolls France

· 
Posted: 10.08.2018  ·  #1
Can you tell me if class 2 on motorway ticket means we are being charged correctly as camper 7 m long

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Tolls France

· 
Posted: 10.08.2018  ·  #2
We’re classed as class 2 at 7.2m long and 3.2m high inc top box. Never paid anymore than class 2.

davidrory

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2018  ·  #3
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Tolls France

· 
Posted: 10.08.2018  ·  #4
Quote by Swifty

Can you tell me if class 2 on motorway ticket means we are being charged correctly as camper 7 m long

if it is class 2 it's the correct charge. the length is not so much the problem it's the height over 3 meters ( not including roof boxes Sat dishes etc, ) can be charged as class 3.
article of interest.
If a vehicle’s ‘basic’ height is less than 3 metres but reaches or exceeds 3 metres as a result of things being attached to the vehicle’s roof, whether or not the increased height ‘counts’ depends on exactly what those things are.

This link is to a French-language leaflet describing the autoroute vehicle classification system.

http://www.autoroutes.fr/FCKed…E%20BD.pdf

On the right of the leaflet is a section headed "Les Critères” that relates to vehicle height and includes a “Remarques” (Notes) section.

This says

"Things that DO NOT affect the total-height calculation
- Loads carried on the roof or on a trailer.
- Accessories such as antennas, roof-boxes or roof racks, rotating lights, taxi signs, satellite aerials, roof lights, solar panels.

Things that DO affect the total-height calculation
- Additions to the basic vehicle, such as truck sleeping pods, air-conditioners, refrigeration units."

So if your motorhome’s height is LESS THAN 3 meters without taking its roof-mounted sat-dish/dome into account, it should be charged the Classe 2 tariff.

chalkey

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2018  ·  #5
We have a satellite dome on the roof and have often been charged at class 4.if this happens just press the button and speak into the microphone and say camping car. The class will then be adjusted to class 2.

Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2018  ·  #6
Thank you for all your help This is such an amazing group👍

HappyCamper73
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2018  ·  #7
Quote by Swifty

We're just back from France, drove all the way to Italian Alps and back
unfortunately we are 3.1m high, and had to pay class 3 in 90% of tolls, we tried every time to change to class 2 but the scanner picked us up at 3.1m and the majority of the toll staff refused to change the class to class 2, there were only a few friendly staff that did change it. We were 7.5m long with bike rack but the length wasn't the issue.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Tolls France

· 
Posted: 23.08.2018  ·  #8
Quote by HappyCamper73

Quote by Swifty

We're just back from France, drove all the way to Italian Alps and back
unfortunately we are 3.1m high, and had to pay class 3 in 90% of tolls, we tried every time to change to class 2 but the scanner picked us up at 3.1m and the majority of the toll staff refused to change the class to class 2, there were only a few friendly staff that did change it. We were 7.5m long with bike rack but the length wasn't the issue.

Are you actually 3.1 ?or is there any dispute

HappyCamper73
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2018  ·  #9
Yes we're 3.13m (we measured ourselves) and the toll agent told us 3.1m, so we knew that we were just over the limit but thought they might be kind to us. Even used our most polite french but didn't help!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.