1996 Ducato Starter Battery Not Charging

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2018  ·  #1
I have a Ducato based Knaus and seem to have an issue where the alternator is not charging the battery. I bought charger with jump start functionality and with that plugged in I can start the van. When I disconnect it seems the van slowly dies.

Does anyone know on this model is there a fuse between the alternator and starter battery? I can't find anything in the engine bay besides the 40A fuse into the Calira charger and two 30A fuses which I haven't a clue what they do.

It's not charging from the Calira either I don't think but that's the next issue to deal with.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: 1996 Ducato Starter Battery Not Charging

· 
Posted: 07.08.2018  ·  #2
No fuse between alternator and battery.
Have charging checked, any good auto electrician can do that quickly.
Sounds like you have no output from the alternator.
Does the charging (battery) light come on in dash when you switch it on and does it go out when you start it ?
Electrics straight forward on those, should have no problem sorting it.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2018  ·  #3
It's quite a strange one tbh. We were doing some work on the van over the weekend and removed the seats. In our wisdom we forgot to disconnect the starter battery and accidentally touched a lead on the seat base causing a spark. That blew the 40A fuse between the leisure batteries and the starter battery. We also had the doors open all day and may have drained the starter battery from the courtesy light and perhaps the radio was on for a while.

Now I can only start the van with the jump starter attached. A charger on the battery states it's fully charged but yet it can't turn over the engine. The jump start attached will start the van after a few minutes of being connected but shows a constant 7A draw while the engine is ticking over.

The alternator must be gone.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2018  ·  #4
Or the battery can't hold a charge

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2018  ·  #5
Check earth straps making sure they are connected properly to the battery and also good connection to the earthing point

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2018  ·  #6
Quote by essjay

The alternator must be gone.

No, can’t assume that until further tests are done. It’s really a job for someone used to such things, could be relatively simple but speculating on the probable cause without examining is all we’re doing.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2018  ·  #7
You either take the van to an auto-electrician to get the system tested or get yourself a simple digital multimeter and start getting some measurements to identify where the issue is, there's really no other way around it.

First option will probably be the quickest and more expensive where the second will take you more time but it'll definitely be cheaper. There's a lot of videos out there on how to troubleshoot an alternator/charging system and we can definitely give you some guidance if you need... I had my fair trade of alternator troubleshooting recently.

It doesn't sound like an alternator issue to me but I'm only assuming and taking a wild guess here.

Cheers,
Rami

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2018  ·  #8
Second the battery can’t hold a charge. Leave the charger on it over night if possible. If it starts the engine put a volt meter across the battery terminals with engine running. If it’s over 14 volts, alternator should be ok. If the battery continues to drain, it looks like a battery fault.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2018  ·  #9
Where are you based?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2018  ·  #10
I use a drop tester for testing batteries, don't ask me anything technical about it, but it seems to work ok.

American-style drop tester. Load applied by internal switchgear - no sparking!
Suitable for 6 and 12V batteries.
Applies load across cells and measures output on meter.
Accurate indication of battery voltage and faulty or short circuited cell.

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2018  ·  #11
First off, I'm not an expert.

Using a booster charger or jump leads can be fraught with problems.

If you are giving somebody a jump, (ooo'er Missus), who has a flat battery then the "brain", upon leads being disconnected, recognises a flat battery and sends a spike through the system.

This can damage the alternator capacitor .

If you really must use jump leads or a jump/booster starter then when the receiving vehicle is running, before disconnecting, switch on high capacity devices like heated rear window, fan on full etc.

But not lights as the spike from the alternator to a flat battery can blow delicate light filaments.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2018  ·  #12
Looking like the starter battery is in bad shape. We managed to get it started after leaving the charger on jump start mode for 20 minutes and putting some amps into the battery.

The van started and has held its own since. I think a new starter battery might be prudent. Any recommendations for a starter battery?

One thing that's occurred to us is that the spark from the leisure battery cable blew the fuse between the internal Calira charger and starter battery which might indicate that there is continuity in the circuit. So maybe there is a relay stuck open or the charger is damaged.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2018  ·  #13
Quote by essjay

One thing that's occurred to us is that the spark from the leisure battery cable blew the fuse between the internal Calira charger and starter battery which might indicate that there is continuity in the circuit. So maybe there is a relay stuck open or the charger is damaged.

Common occurrence when jumping a Motorhome.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2018  ·  #14
This was before we jump started anything. This fuse blew early the first day when we were removing the seats to install new leisure batteries.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2018  ·  #15
Any place that sells batteries should be able to test your battery to confirm it's in good health. If you have a halfords nearby, they'll definitely do it and would normally offer decent prices for batteries too.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2018  ·  #16
My auto electrician (did a job on wifes skoda earlier in year) said that the battery tester is severe on the battery to do the test.

His motto was if it starts dont worry about it.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2018  ·  #17
Quote by mad max

I thought that was my motto too until last week when I was nosey and opened the battery cover under the floor of our wagon for the first time and realised that the original Renault battery is still in it 10 years on, it never failed to start since we got it BUT I am having visions of it letting me down in France though.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2018  ·  #18
Bring jump leads, worst case jump it from one of the leisure batteries to get you going,
My Passat had its original battery just shy of 12 yrs.

But then again you may want to be on the safe side

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2018  ·  #19
Can't start the van again this evening so the battery must be duff. Ordered a Varta Silver starter battery and should have it Monday.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2018  ·  #20
Quote by mad max

Bring jump leads, worst case jump it from one of the leisure batteries to get you going,
My Passat had its original battery just shy of 12 yrs.

But then again you may want to be on the safe side

I might see if the jeep or tractor battery will fit it while we are away, as you say it might go on for a long time yet. I don't mind it letting me down in Ireland but it is a pain while you are abroad.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2018  ·  #21
If you are looking to buy a battery I'd recommend Tayna Batteries in Wales. Good prices, quality brands (Varta etc) and 2 days delivery to ROI for £10 each battery.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2018  ·  #22
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by mad max

I thought that was my motto too until last week when I was nosey and opened the battery cover under the floor of our wagon for the first time and realised that the original Renault battery is still in it 10 years on, it never failed to start since we got it BUT I am having visions of it letting me down in France though.

Would you not think the other way,that you are going to the very place to get an exact replacement, since the first one has lasted that long.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2018  ·  #23
Quote by sprinter

Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by mad max

Would you not think the other way,that you are going to the very place to get an exact replacement, since the first one has lasted that long.

No Martin, Batteries and tyres are things I don’t like buying abroad because of warranty issues, I got caught with tyres I bought in Germany in the past when one of them developed a fault, if I bought them from Johnny down the road he would have given me a replacement. Halving said that I bought 2 leisure batteries online a couple months ago from marine.ie I think and they came from the uk. Also I priced a new battery from my local motor factors last week and they quoted €120, I didn’t see any on line that cheap, I don’t know what make but if there is 3 year warranty on it that will do as I hope to have upgraded the Motorhome in that time.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2018  ·  #24
Quote by CHAUSSON

Also I priced a new battery from my local motor factors last week and they quoted €120, I didn’t see any on line that cheap, I don’t know what make but if there is 3 year warranty on it that will do as I hope to have upgraded the Motorhome in that time.

In fairness the Varta Silver I got was €130 delivered so a little more expensive. 100Ah, 830 CCA, 5 year warranty.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/h3/

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.