Craic'er
My Motorhome: Carado T334
Base Vehicle: FIAT DUCATO
Subject:

motorhome satnav

· 
Posted: 23.07.2018  ·  #1
Hi All
i am looking to purchase a new sat nav that would allow me to input vehicle dimensions
looking at garmin camper 770LMT-D , Aguri RV720DVR , i know this topic has been posted before but i would welcome up to date advice or recommendations
many thanks
trevor

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: motorhome satnav

· 
Posted: 23.07.2018  ·  #2
I bought the Garmin Camper 660LMT-D about a month ago and so far have found it very good. I put in a couple of destinations knowing there were low bridges or narrow bridges and in camper mode it took me away from them but in car mode it didn't. There are also lots of useful warnings such as sharp bends, road narrows and even possible side winds. It was loaded with Campsites, Foursquare and even data from Motorhome Facts for parking. So far it is doing exactly what I needed and therefore would recommend. Its basically the same as 770 but slightly smaller screen but still good size for Camper. I bought it from Amazon for £273 which was cheaper than Garmin direct.

Smiddytheman
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.07.2018  ·  #3
Hello,
I bought a Garmin 770LMT-D with the 7" screen during the winter from Ebay. It was a display model, so came with no box or instructions, but was basically new. I tried it out with the car, and it worked well. Just back from two weeks in France, and it worked very well in our MH. We never book anywhere, so the fact that it has campsites already loaded was what attracted me to this model, plus the bigger screen. There is a rating, and in some cases a review of the sites, a email, and phone number. You can also select your preferences as to which type of site you are looking for. We wanted to stay near the West coast, so selected sites near a beach. It worked really well, and all the sites we stayed on were excellent. Only down side was that on some roundabouts the verbal instruction from that gorgeous female voice did not match the graphic on the screen, ie 'take the third exit', when in fact the graphic showed the second exit. Small nit picking fault in an otherwise great satnav. This is my forth Garmin, and could not fault any of them, but this is defiantly the best. It cost £274.99 all in which at the time was the cheapest I could find.
Good luck with what ever you buy...

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.07.2018  ·  #4
I have a TomTom Start 25. I bought it as a car satnav but TomTom provided an upgrade to Camper maps for €99, which required an addition Micro SD card for the extra memory requirement. TomTom also do a Camper Satnav LINK

In Camper mode, it does all the usual, avoids low bridges, narrow roads, and has an 'Eco Route' option which gives the best route which is not necessarily the shorted or fastest.

Some friends have Garmin which does the job equally as good. Having had TomTom since the beginning I prefer that interface.
TomTom or Garmin, it's like Apple or Microsoft, both do the same but look completely different.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2018  ·  #5
Yikes! Will be heading to France with my car sat nav. Not planning on too much motorway driving. Are low bridges that common?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2018  ·  #6
I always use my car sat nav , you may come across the odd low bridge but there are warning signs just like here so don't worry enjoy your trip

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2018  ·  #7
Quote by The Rambler

Yikes! Will be heading to France with my car sat nav. Not planning on too much motorway driving. Are low bridges that common?

It's not just the low bridges it's good for its also the roads with weight restrictions that it keeps you clear of. My van is 3850kg and there are roads that I'm restricted from so being able to input weight on Sat nav should keep me away from those roads.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2018  ·  #8
i bought the avtex tourer one plus, really good satnav. Plenty of warnings for low bridges, collision warnings, road widths, narrow bridges, the correct lane to be in. I was impressed.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2018  ·  #9
Quote by GMAC

Quote by The Rambler

It's not just the low bridges it's good for its also the roads with weight restrictions that it keeps you clear of. My van is 3850kg and there are roads that I'm restricted from so being able to input weight on Sat nav should keep me away from those roads.

Most of the weight restrictions for towns and villages are to prevent commercial vehicles from entering unless they have deliveries.
My MH is >3.5t but I have it in the satnav as <3.5t, otherwise I'd have problems accessing Aires within the town or village. I'd also miss out on some fantastic attractions.
In 13 years of touring rural France I've never come across a street too tight for me, maybe a few a bit tight but nothing unmanagable.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2018  ·  #10
Quote by baguette

Quote by GMAC

Quote by The Rambler

Most of the weight restrictions for towns and villages are to prevent commercial vehicles from entering unless they have deliveries.
My MH is >3.5t but I have it in the satnav as <3.5t, otherwise I'd have problems accessing Aires within the town or village. I'd also miss out on some fantastic attractions.
In 13 years of touring rural France I've never come across a street too tight for me, maybe a few a bit tight but nothing unmanagable.

Agreed a lot of weight restrictions are purely to keep large vehicles out of town/village centre's but not all. Rocamadour in France would be an example of a place which if you followed standard satnav instructions you could end up in seriously narrow streets. I would rather not take a chance so hence the purchase of camper satNav

BARTRE
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Carado T334
Base Vehicle: FIAT DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2018  ·  #11
Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my post
Your feedback has been very useful.
We have been travelling in France , Germany, Austria , Belgium for roughly
20 years we use maps and satnav. This year our TomTom start 25 took longer and longer to find satellites and despite being updated prior to our travels this year it often told us we were in green fields
Hence the decision to purchase a new satnav
Again may I say a big thanks to all and to the this fantastic site
Trevor

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2018  ·  #12
I am watching this thread with interest. We have been in France for the last week or so and using Google maps for nearly 500 miles of driving on mostly "D" rural roads. While it has been sufficient, but since the roaming agreement on mobiles came inm we are locked onto a 3g network which means that the maps are slow to react and to re issue new commands.
Where do I send my Santa list to?
Malcolm
Ps, I have been a good boy this year.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.