Changing Leisure Batteries

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Changing Leisure Batteries

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #1
I seem to have two leisure batteries, one each under the driver and passenger seats but do not seem to be lasting very long.

Fully charged according the the board (from EHU). Unplugged EHU, put the internal lights on, run the taps so the pump comes on and within 10-15 minutes the red led appears showing below 10.8v. I'm guessing it's time to change them.

The charger is a Calira EVS "30/18" DS which I guess is pretty old which states 90-180 Ah. Does this mean I cannot put batteries in larger than 180 Ah, so 2 x 115 Ah batteries would be too much?

Also what's the quality like of the Halfords batteries? Their 115 Ah batteries are €126 each.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Changing Leisure Batteries

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #2
Been running 2x Halfords 115ah batteries for 3 years and they've been faultless although I do have a 160 watt solar panel charging them. No problem with watching TV at night, even after a few hours they're still strong. All lights are LED too which helps.
A yes from me, they have served us well and continue to do so.

cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #3
<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #4
Have you checked the dimensions of the Halfords 115Ah battery pretty sure the reason I looked elsewhere last year was that it was too tall to go under the seat

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #5
Yes I'll have to get all the measurements together and make sure it fits.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #6
all that would fit anyway

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #7
I have been running a Halfords 115Ah for a year now, no problems. I do keep it topped up on solar. I have checked the electrolyte recently with a hygrometer (the only true test of state of charge) and it is sitting in the sweet spot. The real proof of the pudding is 3 or 4 years down the line of coarse.

If your charger is a true multistage charger and not a Zig type power supply, that’s a good start. But if it is rated for only 180Ah and you are trying to charge 230Ah, then I do believe you will never receive a full charge and that will shorten the lifespan of your batteries. The charger will just not be capable of keeping your batteries in the absorption stage for long enough.

If your voltage is dipping below 11 volts like that, it looks like the damage is already done. However, I would first try and run a full charge on each battery independently. Keep one battery connected at a time with a 24 hour charge going. Disconnect the battery under test and let sit for 24hours. Then test the battery open circuit voltage. If it is not sitting at 12.7 it is not fully charged. If it is sitting below 11 there is likely a dead cell. It is worth doing this for both. Perhaps you still have one good battery.

With that charger, I would keep just one battery in circuit if you can determine you have a good battery. Undercharging will shorten lifespan just as overcharging will. Otherwise if you want to run 2 115aH you should upgrade your charger.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #8
Calira chargers can be temperamental and overloading them by trying to continually charge more than they are designed for can have the costly effect of blowing the main board. The 30/18 is rated to charge up to 180aH of batteries and this may also include a small amount going to the cab battery as well as the hab batteries. The only way to supplement this is to add a decent solar panel to help the charger, but no guarantee that it will work

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #9
Quote by the fat controller

Calira chargers can be temperamental and overloading them by trying to continually charge more than they are designed for can have the costly effect of blowing the main board. The 30/18 is rated to charge up to 180aH of batteries and this may also include a small amount going to the cab battery as well as the hab batteries. The only way to supplement this is to add a decent solar panel to help the charger, but no guarantee that it will work

You have me worried now John, We have the same charger and I replaced our two Batteries lately and bought the same brand again as they were in the van six years and never missed a beat in that time (Numax), I did notice the ones I took out were 90A and the new ones were 100A though.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #10
I might be better off getting two of Halfords 70ah batteries in that case. The current batteries are 60ah and I do have solar panels

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #11
I am speaking from experience Pat as mine blew in the Knaus, a&n caravans did the repair and it was roughly £350 for an exchange unit. The info re the charger came from them

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.07.2018  ·  #12
Quote by the fat controller

I am speaking from experience Pat as mine blew in the Knaus, a&n caravans did the repair and it was roughly £350 for an exchange unit. The info re the charger came from them

I know you are, you told me before and thanks for the tip off John, I am now seriously considering as solar panel, it cant do any harm.

arthur49
My Motorhome: Autotrail 2018
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.07.2018  ·  #13
I can't see that a link has appeared on here to this website

http://www.aandncaravanservice…change.php

Allan of aandncaravan is challenging the veracity of the NCC Verified Battery Scheme. Anyone considering changing leisure batteries may wish to be aware of the contents. I should be mentioned that, this month, MMM magazine appear to be pushing the NCC Scheme .........

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.