Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

12 volt Smart TV review

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #1
Finally a 12 volt smart TV, I've been waiting on this. We were using a Firestick powered of the USB port on a walker TV but were waiting on a good Android Smart TV.

Cello 12 Volt Smart TV

We purchased this from Red Fish Trading

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/redfishtrading/

Great price, friendly service - answered all questions on Facebook. Fast next day delivery to NI.

A few pictures of the options on the back, 2 x HDMI is nice to see, although struggling to find what I will use them for in a Motorhome especially as I no longer need the likes of a Firestick, but nice to have the option.

24" TV (diagonally) actual size of unit is: 21 3/4" x 13"

Comes with 12volt adaptor.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

Re: 12 volt Smart TV

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #2
This is bigger than our own Motorhome TV so it didn't fit were are last one was, so to do this review I set it up temporarily on a chair and the box :) - it also uses a 200 x 100 MM mounting kit which is a lot bigger than mine, so I need to check that out, I am assuming this might be just a bigger plate.

Usual tune in sequence that most TV's have now, pick your country, pick DTV etc and scan. It picked up all available channels with no problems, as expected.

Slightly dissapointed with the picture until I realised I was on UTV and not UTV HD, very very pleased with it now. This is UTV HD but of course it's a photo so you'll have to test that for yourself. I watch very little on non HD, so I can assure you I am very happy with it on HD.

TV Guide is great and what we have come to expect.

Viewing angles are great, I noticed no issues and power consumption is 25W. Once I switched it on with fully charged batteries I went to look what the solar was doing, it was bringing in 2.2 amps with nothing else on.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #3
Now for the bits I have been waiting on, the SMART bits.

Initial setup mentioned nothing about setting up Wifi, yet there is an "important notice" with the TV that says on initial setup make sure you connect to WiFi and update the software. After rerunning the setup twice I still didn't see it.

Turn the page over :) - hit the Smart Home button and then it takes you through the WiFi setup, I set it up working through my MiFi and was very impressed by the speed of it.

You'll need a Google account, you get the option to create one or can sign in straight away with your own. it is a typical Android device log in, pretty much the same as an Android Tablet.

I logged in and went back to the Smart Home Screen.

There are plenty of links to Apps and some Apps already installed. I immediately installed Netflix and Amazon Prime as these are the two I use most. Once installed they are then coloured in the menu.(instead of black and white)

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #4
It loads very quick and installation of Netflix and opening it was very fast and slick. I have only two apps installed of course, but so far speed is very good.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #5
Web browser is good and where do you think I went to first?

This extra should be good...

That's all for now until I get on the road and do more testing.

First impressions? very very good and very happy with it. It's fast, has a lot of options and a very good GUI, I haven't tried but I don't see any reason why you Kodi fans couldn't install that App, all Apps from the play store seem to be available. I am sure there is also an IPTV App.

Will continue....

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #6
Good run down Ally. It will be interesting to see how a “connected” TV will work on the road and overseas in particular. A lot of us would be keen to access content over the internet and avoid the satellite route if it was economical and reliable. Connecting to a campsite’s free WiFi is probably the preferred option. But if there is no WiFi I think a personal hotspot/ MiFi option over your cellular network should be becoming realistic. Assuming you have a generous data contract and that EU roaming is what it says it is. Anyone put this to the test yet?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #7
Quote by The Rambler

Good run down Ally. It will be interesting to see how a “connected” TV will work on the road and overseas in particular. A lot of us would be keen to access content over the internet and avoid the satellite route if it was economical and reliable. Connecting to a campsite’s free WiFi is probably the preferred option. But if there is no WiFi I think a personal hotspot/ MiFi option over your cellular network should be becoming realistic. Assuming you have a generous data contract and that EU roaming is what it says it is. Anyone put this to the test yet?

I use a "connected" tv already via a firestick.

I'm no longer concerned about having landline Wifi, I have been using 3g/4g for a while now and no longer need a landline. Travelling throughout Uk & Ireland I have not been let down yet. An outdoor antenna helps but that's for a different topic: LIKE THIS

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #8
Quote by Ally

Quote by The Rambler

I use a "connected" tv already via a firestick.

I'm no longer concerned about having landline Wifi, I have been using 3g/4g for a while now and no longer need a landline. Travelling throughout Uk & Ireland I have not been let down yet. An outdoor antenna helps but that's for a different topic: LIKE THIS

Ally, what amount of data limit do you need to make use of the fire stick.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #9
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Ally, what amount of data limit do you need to make use of the fire stick.

A film is around 800 meg - 1 GB, usually around 1.5 hours, that's the easiest way of working it out.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #10
Had to buy these extenders for my TV Bracket, it seems like a new standard? never came across it before. 200 x 100 mm extenders.

From HERE

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #11
Quote by The Rambler

..... But if there is no WiFi I think a personal hotspot/ MiFi option over your cellular network should be becoming realistic. Assuming you have a generous data contract and that EU roaming is what it says it is. Anyone put this to the test yet?

Yes.
We use a mifi and firestick in France and can access everything we do at home. We don't use it much but it is very handy. We have already agreed there will probably be no satellite in our next van.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #12
But can I watch Corrie 😁

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #13
Only if you promise to clean your room afterwards.
Malcolm
Sorry couldn't resist.

hulio
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Bailey 740
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2018  ·  #14
I have a walker 24 tv and I also use a fire stick (which as mark says) I used in france using my mobile phone to tether to with no problem
But this tv looks the job
Thanks for the review Ally
credit card be prepared :happy:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2018  ·  #15
Quote by hulio

I have a walker 24 tv and I also use a fire stick (which as mark says) I used in france using my mobile phone to tether to with no problem
But this tv looks the job
Thanks for the review Ally
credit card be prepared :happy:

It's great, you'll not be disappointed 😁

Firestick is good, but the Smart TV opens up a lot more options, especially with full access to the Play Store.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2018  ·  #16
Can we keep on topic please, this is about a review on a TV :)

One post, MiFi split to here: forum/index.php?f=8

New topic created for Firestick.

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2018  ·  #17
Super info Ally & you will know from my previous posts the issues I was having regarding wild camping with no TV so I will contact the guys now about buying one 👍🏻

just_manu
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2018  ·  #18
Looks really good Ally. Thanks for the great review.
I’m just not sure the 24” size would fit into the TV spot in the camper.🤔Must measure it up and see if the Mrs will let me get it!

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #19
Hi All, I did some measuring (used a piece of cardboard cut to size) and seems to fit.
I assume with these modern digital TVs that this will pick up UK and Irish TV digital TV stations?
Haven’t had a TV in the camper yet so was looking at digital aerials on amazon. Anyone used one of these or something similar? https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-…4C74SFZ7B7

Also, this TV arm is already installed in our camper but not sure if I’ll be able to get the bit that attaches to the TV by itself or would I be looking a whole new arm? Any advice appreciated.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #20
I got an avtek aerial on Amazon. Works well. It is amplified though so needs to plug into your 12 volt and uses a little power. If you have solar, there will be no issues

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.07.2018  ·  #21
Does freeview work in the South? Seen Daffysparks comment above about the Avtex aerial and would buy one to go with the tv if it did

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.07.2018  ·  #22
KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.07.2018  ·  #23
Quote by the fat controller

You won’t get freebies in the south only Soarview

Well there's £40 saved 😂 Should be good with the Smart IPTV app on it anyway

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.07.2018  ·  #24
😁

Micklad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: camper van conversion
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.07.2018  ·  #25
hi ally does the consumption vary on tv when using apps or tv?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.07.2018  ·  #26
Quote by Micklad

hi ally does the consumption vary on tv when using apps or tv?

Hi Mick,

At a festival so only got looking at that now. This is by no means a scientific test, I looked at the draw that the solar needed to compensate when switching to Android mode. No difference whatsoever which I didn't think there would be. It would really need someone with a meter to test properly though.

It makes no mention in the manual that it would be different.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2018  ·  #27
A handy option on the remote for this telly is a dedicated "Retune" button, which as we all know we need to do every time we move. Also, I was in ROI at the weekend and when I pressed retune it automatically came up as Ireland, in NI it automatically comes up as UK.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

Re: 12 volt Smart TV review

· 
Posted: 24.07.2018  ·  #28
Someone asked if the RTE Player can be installed. Anything in the Play Store can.

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2018  ·  #29
Yeah.., my android TV arrived today!
Very impressed!
Also got a digital antenna and also managed to source the missing TV bracket bit from ‘Hifidelity’ and it worked a treat! Also got the VESA adapters for 200 x 100 size as recommended by Ally. Definitely needed in my case!

Plugged it in and searched for channels and it picked up all UK freeview and Irish Saorview channels! (we live close to the border)
For once, the planets all lined up and the TV fits perfectly into the Tv cabinet for storage when not being used.
Very happy with it. Great spot Ally.

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2018  ·  #30
Quote by just_manu

Very impressed!
Also got a digital antenna and also managed to source the missing TV bracket bit from ‘Hifidelity’ and it worked a treat! Also got the VESA adapters for 200 x 100 size as recommended by Ally. Definitely needed in my case!

Plugged it in and searched for channels and it picked up all UK freeview and Irish Saorview channels! (we live close to the border)
For once, the planets all lined up and the TV fits perfectly into the Tv cabinet for storage when not being used.

Which antenna did you go for? I didn't realise you could pick up Saorview with this tv 🙈 I bought one also which just arrived this morning :)

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2018  ·  #31
Quote by KeithF

Quote by just_manu

Very impressed!

Which antenna did you go for? I didn't realise you could pick up Saorview with this tv 🙈 I bought one also which just arrived this morning :)

HI Keith, I got this one ->
High Gain Freeview TV Aerial - August DTA240 - HD Portable Indoor/Outdoor Digital HD Antenna for USB TV Tuner/DVB-T Television/DAB Radio/SD/4K - With Magnetic Base https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0…wBbA2EDCD4
Didnt do too much research into it but seemed to work really well. It’s only a out 6”s tall.
The wire could be a little longer but works well.

Just a reminder, and I think Ally said this too, update the android version first, of course I ploughed ahead and only saw the ‘IMPORTAND NOTICE’ sheet after I had all setup!

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2018  ·  #32
Quote by just_manu

Quote by KeithF

Quote by just_manu

Very impressed!

High Gain Freeview TV Aerial - August DTA240 - HD Portable Indoor/Outdoor Digital HD Antenna for USB TV Tuner/DVB-T Television/DAB Radio/SD/4K - With Magnetic Base https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0…wBbA2EDCD4
Didnt do too much research into it but seemed to work really well. It’s only a out 6”s tall.

Just a reminder, and I think Ally said this too, update the android version first, of course I ploughed ahead and only saw the ‘IMPORTAND NOTICE’ sheet after I had all setup!

Fantastic & Thanks for the info 👍🏻

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2018  ·  #33
Quote by just_manu

Do you mount the antenna inside?

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2018  ·  #34
Do you mount the antenna inside?
[/quote]

It worked ok for me inside, but the recommend attaching it to metal. It has a magnet on the base. For me the wire is a biy short for that.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2018  ·  #35
Any DVD player or Satellite receiver in it?

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2018  ·  #36
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw…p_mb_pd_t2

I went for this aerial, similar in price but the cable on it is 15ft and it comes with a free suction stand, So hoping if weather is good and if needed i can pop it outside or on the roof

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2018  ·  #37
Quote by KeithF

I went for this aerial, similar in price but the cable on it is 15ft and it comes with a free suction stand, So hoping if weather is good and if needed i can pop it outside or on the roof

Look good. Will be very interested in seeing what you think of it. 15ft is a much better size so may get one too.

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2018  ·  #38
Quote by just_manu

Quote by KeithF

Look good. Will be very interested in seeing what you think of it. 15ft is a much better size so may get one too.

Have to say the aerial works a treat! My MiFi wasn't up to much this weekend down in Morriscastle so this came in very handy, No problems at all picking up channels and picture quality is 100% & would recommend, With the good weather and extra long cable I just threw it up on top of the awning but works just as well inside.

On the tv, I couldn't be happier, I have a 32" Samsung Smart TV In the front (I have a large A Class, That's my excuse) So I put this in the bedroom at the rear. With the MiFi being atrocious the Smart IPTV App was buffering non stop and was unwatchable, I couldn't even login to Netflix on the Samsung but had absolutely no issue watching it on the Cello. I see Cello do a normal 32" version of this TV so I think I am going to upgrade the one in the front too

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2018  ·  #39
Hi ally.thanks for the review of the tv,I've purchased it and collecting it on Tuesday.he is dropping it off to me on his way to rosslare ferry.thats some service.10/10.

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2018  ·  #40
Quote by KeithF

Have to say the aerial works a treat! My MiFi wasn't up to much this weekend down in Morriscastle so this came in very handy, No problems at all picking up channels and picture quality is 100% & would recommend, With the good weather and extra long cable I just threw it up on top of the awning but works just as well inside.

Great, thanks for the update. Glad it works well. Have ordered one already.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.