Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Reversing Bleeper

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #1
Since having to shoo some people from behind my van in Cornwall last year whilst I was trying to turn in a very busy and touristy car park, I decided that what I needed was one of those beepers that you hear when delivery vans are reversing.
I saw them on Ebay, studied them, and thought about them, but today I went looking and found one in a local Motor Electric outfit not far from me.
It came in the shape of a bulb which you just insert after removing your existing bulb, easy. But after inserting it and selecting reverse, it lit but would not beep, not a sound. Took it back and the very helpful guy put it on a battery and it beeped without any problem. After a bit of head scratching when I explained that it was just a new van he said "where was it made" when I told him France he quickly said "wired the wrong way, they just stick wires in and a bulb will light either way but the beeper requires the live to the live in order to work, go home and change the wires around and it will work" He was right! so if any of you have a similar problem, now you know how to correct it. And yes, the beeper works great, not loud enough to annoy anyone on a campsite, but loud enough to get people to move.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Reversing Bleeper

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #2
Interesting. :up:

I have a funny story about reversing senors, but that's for another topic:)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Reversing Bleeper

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #3
Quote by Floorman

Since having to shoo some people from behind my van in Cornwall last year whilst I was trying to turn in a very busy and touristy car park, I decided that what I needed was one of those beepers that you hear when delivery vans are reversing.
I saw them on Ebay, studied them, and thought about them, but today I went looking and found one in a local Motor Electric outfit not far from me.
It came in the shape of a bulb which you just insert after removing your existing bulb, easy. But after inserting it and selecting reverse, it lit but would not beep, not a sound. Took it back and the very helpful guy put it on a battery and it beeped without any problem. After a bit of head scratching when I explained that it was just a new van he said "where was it made" when I told him France he quickly said "wired the wrong way, they just stick wires in and a bulb will light either way but the beeper requires the live to the live in order to work, go home and change the wires around and it will work" He was right! so if any of you have a similar problem, now you know how to correct it. And yes, the beeper works great, not loud enough to annoy anyone on a campsite, but loud enough to get people to move.

I hope you put a switch on it so you can turn it off, because you won't be too popular if you have to park up or move around a piths at night or early morning with the ting beeping its head off.

I did just like you, because I taught it was a good idea. having spent half the day fitting and wiring it up, I went out in the van to give it a run returning about 1.30am, it takes less then 10 min of maneuvering to park it up. My neighbors didn't half give me stick the next morning. it only took 30 seconds to snip one of the wires no more noisy beeping

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #4
Ah yes, the good auld beeping reverse.... I have one in mine and have to say that it's as useful as it is embarrassing sometimes, but yeah... I prefer to have it so I leave it on.

Between it and my ebay chinese camera I can pretty much park up anywhere.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #5
What The Law says

Section 99 (3) (a) makes reversing beepers illegal on cars and motorhomes.
Having said that I've often thought of getting one myself ;-)

Use of audible warning instruments
99.—(1) Subject to the following paragraphs, no person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, any horn, gong, bell or siren fitted to or carried on a vehicle which is—

(a)stationary on a road, at any time, other than at times of danger due to another moving vehicle on or near the road; or
(b)in motion on a restricted road, between 23.30 hours and 07.00 hours in the following morning.
(2) The provisions of paragraph (1)(a) do not apply in respect of the sounding of a reversing alarm when the vehicle to which it is fitted is about to move backwards and its engine is running.

(3) No person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, on a road any reversing alarm fitted to a vehicle—

(a)unless the vehicle is a goods vehicle which has a maximum gross weight not less than 2000 kg, a bus, engineering plant, or a works truck; or
(b)if the sound of the alarm is likely to be confused with a sound emitted in the operation of a pedestrian crossing established, or having effect as if established, under Part III of the 1984 Act.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #6
Quote by baguette

What The Law says

99.—(1) Subject to the following paragraphs, no person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, any horn, gong, bell or siren fitted to or carried on a vehicle which is—

(a)stationary on a road, at any time, other than at times of danger due to another moving vehicle on or near the road; or
(b)in motion on a restricted road, between 23.30 hours and 07.00 hours in the following morning.
(2) The provisions of paragraph (1)(a) do not apply in respect of the sounding of a reversing alarm when the vehicle to which it is fitted is about to move backwards and its engine is running.

(3) No person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, on a road any reversing alarm fitted to a vehicle—

(a)unless the vehicle is a goods vehicle which has a maximum gross weight not less than 2000 kg, a bus, engineering plant, or a works truck; or
(b)if the sound of the alarm is likely to be confused with a sound emitted in the operation of a pedestrian crossing established, or having effect as if established, under Part III of the 1984 Act.

If it is illegal, shouldn't be flagged during CVRT?

Mine passed and the beeping is definitely there as soon as you engage reverse. I don't think anyone would ever complain about a 3.5ton vehicle with hardly any visibility to the back having a beeping sound for warning...

Cheers,
Rami

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #7
Quote by RTV

Quote by baguette

What The Law says

If it is illegal, shouldn't be flagged during CVRT?

Mine passed and the beeping is definitely there as soon as you engage reverse. I don't think anyone would ever complain about a 3.5ton vehicle with hardly any visibility to the back having a beeping sound for warning...

Cheers,
Rami

Mine's passed its CVRT's since it became a legal requirement six years ago. Every time two items, in particular, which are supposed to be checked according to the testers manual have never been checked.

As regards a reversing beeper. The testers manuals only list HORN (AUDIBLE WARNING DEVICE) to be checked, note its singular so probably only refers to the front horn.

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #8
Some interesting comments on here, thank you all for your input.
I have just been searching the net for info regarding the fitting of such things for the past half hour and did notice that the law concerning them was dated 1986. Things have changed, I have found numerous people who have had them fitted and all find they give the driver more confidence whilst reversing but, I have not found one that has been chastised in any way for having them fitted let alone prosecuted. I have seen the mention of decibels but I do not know how many decibels mine ejects but I do know that I am slightly hard of hearing so can't hear it from the drivers seat.
Mine stays until the buzzer police tell me it has to go.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #9
Some interesting comments there, I was going to buy the buzzer bulb but I wont now because if I put an on/off switch on it I will have no reversing light while using it in public at night, an independent buzzer with an on/off switch is a better option I think.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #10
I had the buzzer bulb on my previous MH. It was really too big to fit into the reversing lamp such that the bulb was touching the lamp lenses. It only lasted a few weeks (maybe 6 to 10 reverses) until it failed. I replaced it with another and it failed again in a few weeks.

Don't know if I got poor quality lamps or the tight space was the problem

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #11
CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #12
Quote by mark

Is it not possible to use ONE OF THESE

Yes Mark, I think that is better option, you could could put a switch on that and still have your reversing lights working independent of it at night

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #13
Quote by mark

Is it not possible to use ONE OF THESE

Is there an issue with using this type of device on the Ducato as it has a Canbus system which I assume monitors the load on the revering light circuit?

Has any one had any issues with either X250 or X290?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.