lorcain1
My Motorhome: 97 Fiat Ducato Maxi
Base Vehicle: Knaus 685
Subject:

Knaus Camper stolen in France

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #1
Hey there fellow Campers,
I was wondering if someone can help, has any worthwhile suggestions or advise in this situation.
My sister is in the South of France with her family and staying in Les Sablons campsite(Eurocamp). They went to Montpellier for the day yesterday and their camper with everything in it was stolen while they were having lunch. They are needless to say very upset. They reported it but feel not much will come of it. All their outdoor equipment (tent, bikes, furniture etc) is still back in Les Sablons which they were to check out of today. Is there by any chance anyone in the area or going to the area that could help them with their outdoor equipment as they only have a rental car. Any experience, ideas, advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Pat

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Knaus Camper stolen in France

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #2
Awful :(

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #3
Terrible. All I would want to do is get home. Surely the insurance company will arrange to get them and all their equipment home. Might need to ask for a larger rental car and purchase a bike rack from a local store.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #4
That's terrible hope someone can help

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #5
Terrible news, pass on my best wishes.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #6
You could try looking up small return loads on the internet, companies such as, anyvan.ie or aquatrans.ie pair up loads like yours with small vans going your way.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #7
Awful news...hope they get sorted and return safely with there belongings.

smc
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Stolen motorhome

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #8
Surprised to read not one offerof any kind of help or decent advice in this serious matter amazing really lots a talk no action :bash:

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #9
Quote by smc

Surprised to read not one offerof any kind of help or decent advice in this serious matter amazing really lots a talk no action :bash:

Perhaps no one was in the area.

Did you take any action yourself?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #10
Quote by smc

Surprised to read not one offer of any kind of help or decent advice in this serious matter amazing really lots a talk no action :bash:

I would have to take issue with that.

Mark&Wendy.
Terrible. All I would want to do is get home. Surely the insurance company will arrange to get them and all their equipment home. Might need to ask for a larger rental car and purchase a bike rack from a local store.

Nilrac.
You could try looking up small return loads on the internet, companies such as, anyvan.ie or aquatrans.ie pair uploads like yours with small vans going your way.

GMAC.
"""""""Awful news...hope they get sorted and return safely with there belongings. """""""""
( This is a question as well as a comment )

There was absolutely no response from the original poster
Lorcin1

So what exactly are people to do

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #11
Terrible situation but I didn't realise we were expected to mount a rescue mission!

Bad joke sorry.

Thank god not many of us have experienced having our holiday ruined like this. I'm sure if ANY member of motorhome craic were near that campsite, they would have offered assistance.
Accusing us of "all talk and no action" isn't very nice now is it?

I hope I never experience the anguish his sister and family had to deal with. Its been a few days since he told us about her plight. Does anyone know how they got on in the end?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #12
Quote by smc

I saw the original post and others on Facebook group pages I also thought to myself that’s an awful situation to be in and they would very lucky to find anybody ABLE, no not willing, as it would require someone being in the area who would be returning to Ireland at or around the same time or perhaps an Irish person with a property in face able to store the personal possessions. I thought the odds would be low. Even if there was a fellow MH owner in the area who was traveling back to Ireland soon would they have any room to take additional equipment bikes furniture etc I know that I would never have extra space to take any extra stuff.
So short of a whip round and hiring a van to go over and fetch the equipment what could be done? And the best will in the world even if the entire MH community did club together to get a van the cost of this would probably higher than the left behind stuff.
Don’t get me wrong it’s an awful situation to be in and I would not like to have been in their shoes.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #13
Quote by smc

hard to take positive action from over here. How do you know contact wasnt made off this site?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #14
I came back from Spain with a trailer and had thought about offering to bring stuff home, then I realised that I had to get my own stuff home and the result was a full trailer so could not in fact do anything to help. As others have said, unless they were in the vicinity and about to return home there isn't anything any of us could do apart from offer advice, which we did. I saw the same post on various social media outlets and no one actually did anything bar offer advice.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #15
Quote by Blag

Terrible situation but I didn't realize we were expected to mount a rescue mission!

Bad joke sorry.

Thank god not many of us have experienced having our holiday ruined like this. I'm sure if ANY member of motorhome craic were near that campsite, they would have offered assistance.
Accusing us of "all talk and no action" isn't very nice now, is it?

I hope I never experience the anguish his sister and family had to deal with. Its been a few days since he told us about her plight. Does anyone know how they got on in the end?

No, not a word and that was my point if you have a problem you have to let us know, how you are doing otherwise, no communication is accepted as having the problem sorted and are on the way home. and we will hear how it went when they are in a more relaxed space.

ber_sull
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #16
Thank you everyone,the family are now back home safe and well.As far as I know the insurance covered the cost of car hire and accommodation. They did have to travel to Barcelona to collect temporary passport's.The campsite they were on have stored their bikes tents etc for them.
They are now in the process of trying to work out what they have lost and put a value on it for the insurance claim
The original poster is now in France with his family and campervan,hope he will be ok.
Again thank you all for your concern,it really is hard to know what to do in such a situation

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #17
Quote by ber_sull

Thank you, everyone, the family are now back home safe and well. As far as I know, the insurance covered the cost of car hire and accommodation. They did have to travel to Barcelona to collect temporary passport's. The campsite they were on have stored their bikes tents etc for them.
They are now in the process of trying to work out what they have lost and put a value on it for the insurance claim
The original poster is now in France with his family and campervan, hope he will be ok.
Again thank you all for your concern, it really is hard to know what to do in such a situation

Thank you for informing us, the outcome is probably what we would have expected, the insurance company will give some support, but unfortunately never enough.

VinR2D2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #18
Hi all

Vince here the owner of Knaus van stolen in France

Just to reassure all that my family and I are home safe and sound , it has been a difficult few weeks but my faith in humanity hasn't been diminished give what happened us. The common man(or woman) on the street has been excellent to us and ensures that we got safe passage home, be it the McDonalds employee who spent the evening with us in the police station to the car rental girl that spent half an hour ringing her counterpart in Roscoff making sure that we could do a key drop off at Roscoff ferry terminal.

The reality is theres very little anybody on this forum could have done other than offer advice in the circumstance.

Vince

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #19
Quote by VinR2D2

Hi all

Vince here the owner of Knaus van stolen in France

Just to reassure all that my family and I are home safe and sound, it has been a difficult few weeks but my faith in humanity hasn't been diminished give what happened to us. The common man(or woman) on the street has been excellent to us and ensures that we got safe passage home, be it the McDonalds employee who spent the evening with us in the police station to the car rental girl that spent half an hour ringing her counterpart in Roscoff making sure that we could do a key drop off at Roscoff ferry terminal.

The reality is there's very little anybody on this forum could have done other than offer advice in the circumstance.

Vince

Great to hear you got sorted when everything settles down please come back and let us know how things worked out, including how you are treated by the insurance company, this is a knowledge-based forum so it's always helpful to have the ins and outs of this type of situation.so keep a diary and come back when you go looking for a replacement, don't let this get you down, if you need any help dealing with all the Sh1t you will no dought have to deal with or advice come back and ask.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.