jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Firestick

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #1
This topic has been very informative for a novice like me. What is a firestick and does one pay a monthly rental for it? Sorry if I’m being stupid.

Subject:

Firestick

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #2
Quote by jacktherev

This has been very informative for a novice like me. What is a firestick and does one pay a monthly rental for it? Sorry if I’m being stupid.

It is an Amazon device which plugs into an HDMI post on the TV.
You can subscribe to various Amazon channels or you can add your own software that gives access to an amazing amount of channels and movies.

You buy the firestick and pay monthly for some of the Amazon content or add your own free apps.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Firestick

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #3
The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #4
It’s a plug-in device that makes your dumb tv smart. There are many devices competing in this market, Firestick, Chromecast, Apple TV , as well as generic set top boxes that run some form of Android OS. These generic boxes are often called Kodi boxes as the Kodi movie streaming software usually comes loaded. They typically plug in to your TV’s HDMI port, while at the same time connect to the internet through your home router (WiFi or wired) or possibly over a 4/3G cellular network such as a MiFi router or your phone as a hotspot.

I ran an Apple TV (set top box about the size of a deck of cards) with my dumb Samsung tv for years. It allowed me to stream movie rentals from Apple, as well as free content from apps like YouTube and also ran the Netflix app to which I was subscribed. I now have a Sony Bravia smart TV so I don’t use the Apple TV these days. The Sony is a true smart tv so it connects to the internet and it runs apps, like Netflix, Kodi, YouTube or whatever else I chose to load from the Google Play Store.

Whether you choose to go the fully fledged smart tv route or use an external device with your existing tv, it is important to consider the operating system (OS). The Android TV OS is king here IMO. This is a modified version of the Android OS and is more geared to operating from your couch i.e. the 10 foot GUI. The Android OS is a good second. Bottom line, there is a plethora of apps available on the Google Play Store. If you choose to download a streaming app that requires a subscription such as Netflix, that’s up to you. There are other streaming apps that do not require a subscription, Kodi, Terrarium etc. The legality of their useage is questionable but they are very popular.

Sharp, Philips and Sony TVs run Android TV. So does a Mi Box if you want to keep your existing TV. Samsung TVs run their own OS. It will give your options, Netflix etc. but cannot access the Play Store. The Firestick runs Amazon’s OS which again is not as good as Android but it might be all you need.

Anyone thinking of streaming in their MH should probably ask themselves a couple of basic questions.

Do you want to keep your existing TV and bring streaming services to it? If so, then some kind of an external device is needed and your tv ought to have a HDMI port. Otherwise buy a smart tv.

Which OS? Android TV, Android, Amazon, Apple, Samsung ?etc. Your smart phone OS might influence this decision.

Do you want subscriptions? Netflix, Amazon prime, Google Play, Hulu, Spotify, etc. etc.

How to access internet? 4G hotspot over on cellular data plan, free WiFi at campsite?

smc
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Streaming ,internet, requirements options

· 
Posted: 13.09.2018  ·  #5
I was quite fascinated by the the last post on this topic as the level of detailed information was great.

As someone with limited. Knowledge of these tech matter ,I have tow loves in life first being tennis and second a good movie hence I'm trying to get a system that I can access live tennis around the world and watch a good movie all in my mh in different countries in Europe .
Based on the above what is my best options and what do I need that is easy to operate and idiot proof.
I do have a tv oyster system 65 ins dish which is fine but most of the stuff on the regular channels are just rubbishy I find ,so almost never watch it waste money in my opinion.
I don't have internet in mh or any wifi boosters etc and most internet connections on campsites are so slow they border on not working .
Any good solid advice welcomed .
Rgds smc

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2018  ·  #6
I would be like yourself, in that I am not tech minded, but I am also not a person who feels the need for the latest gadgets.
A couple of things to throw into the discussion.
Mobile data has improved alot in the last few years, so bluetooth hotspotting from your phone is a real possibility now. However isolated rural locations can still be a challenge for signal.
Abroad, since the EU roaming came in most data connection supplied to tourists are on a 3G network, which I don't think is powerful enough to supply streaming tv. We were in France during the summer, and sometimes the phone struggled to download a short whatapp video.
Also your international data usage is cut to about 20% of your selected plan.
On Wednesday evening I caught the last minute of a discussion on Matt Copper about the tv sport companies taking a stance against international web streaming, knock off boxes etc.
Malcolm

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2018  ·  #7
with Amazon now doing live sporting events would the firestick be the solution by using a mifi/phone hotspot to gain internet access

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2018  ·  #8
I don’t stream content myself on the road, other than music. If I spent more time touring I would look into though. I do usually predownload movies to a memory stick and play that from the TV.

Netflix advise that their HD content consumes 3GB of data per hour and SD at 1GB. Even a reasonably slow 4G network will handle this easily if it is reliable. I ran the Speed Test app on my phone here on a French campsite and got a lightning speed of 174 mbps! Faster than my home WiFi. Anyhow, on my Eir mobile plan, I have a 10GB per month data allowance. So 2 Netflix HD movies would practically use that up. Bottom line, I would be looking to increase my data allowance, stick to SD streaming and predownload where possible at home. Netflix will allow you to predownload up to 100 titles. Bear in mind that the Fire Stick has limited capacity , 8GB I think. But I think can be expanded with SD cards.

On demand tennis obviously has to be live streaming. Will Sky sports meet your demand? I believe the Sky Go subscription is available for the Fire Stick. The Now Tv subscription also supplies some Sky sports, but not sure if it will run on the Fire stick.

There are two different ways to watch content over your phone network on your TV. One is where you have the app playing the content, running on the phone itself and this is mirrored to your TV screen. That app could be Netflix, Now TV, Youtube etc. The second way is when the device plugged into you TV is playing the content, as in the app is in the device, such as a Fire Stick. In this scenario the device connects to the internet via your phone which you have set to broadcast as a hotspot. The second way is much more convenient.

Hope this helps. A bit of trial and error is what it takes to get something right for you,

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2018  ·  #9
In the north on the 3 network streaming from Netflix does not come out of your data allowance

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2018  ·  #10
Quote by the fat controller

In the north on the 3 network streaming from Netflix does not come out of your data allowance

Sounds like a really good deal

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.