kevo
Craic'er
My Motorhome: In progress
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

Re: Models

· 
Posted: 15.07.2018  ·  #41
Now just when I thought I was ready it has been suggested to me that because I have c and d licence that motorhome over 3500kg only pay €50 vrt. Can someone put that idea to bed for me, have googled lots of those issues here but answers are clear as Mud,

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #42
That's probably for a commercial vehicle , you don't seem to be listening to advise on the bulkhead this is not an option for a camper van , insurance etc

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #43
Quote by kevo

Now just when I thought I was ready it has been suggested to me that because I have c and d licence that motorhome over 3500kg only pay €50 vrt. Can someone put that idea to bed for me, have googled lots of those issues here but answers are clear as Mud,

That €50 VRT is gone with years, in the past importers of Motorhomes used to roll out rolls of lead on the floor to increase the weight to over 3500kg and cover with carpet in an attempt to qualify for the €50 vrt

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #44
Wow posted a big email here today of what I bought but don't see it on here ??

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #45
Quote by kevo

Wow posted a big email here today of what I bought but don't see it on here ??

You posted here:

forum/topic.php?p=133916#real133916

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #46
Thanks Ally but that's not it , it was big big long one explanation of i bought 151 Mercedes sprinter today

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #47
Ok here goes again , short version of the post i can't find from earlier , today I followed my gut feeling and bought a 151 Mercedes sprinter in petersfield down near Southampton, Lwb with 54k miles , air con , sat nav , reversing camera etc and in great condition, , as I am registered for vat I was not charged vat , however now having taken that big step ( sprinters with air con are very very rare ) and it was expensive but you get what you pay for , now do I bring it in as is and register it €200 as it is commercial and then get it converted and then get it re classified as camper and pay the vrt etc or get the conversion done in U.K. and then bring it in and pay the vrt etc , not sure what vat implications are that way , ,
2nd in reply to an earlier post re bulkheads i read the revenue and rsa guidelines as what constitutes a camper/motor caravan and it says it must be obviously( not a sham ) be a place with bed , cooking facilities that are fixed fittings etc and in that regard I researched some more on autotrader etc and there are many PROPER motorhomes with the bulkhead in place and some of those are 2016 and 2017 models in excess of 50k sterling so I would hope once it's converted professionally and certified as such that it will suffice for insurance purposes, I am very open to being corrected on any of theses issues and really will appreciate the thoughts of one and all ,
3rd with regard to my earlier postings of possible layouts i would really appreciate ideas thrown at me ,
Lastly anyone got thoughts on where i should get it converted ,
Regards

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #48
Quote by kevo

Ok here goes again , short version of the post i can't find from earlier , today I followed my gut feeling and bought a 151 Mercedes sprinter in petersfield down near Southampton, Lwb with 54k miles , air con , sat nav , reversing camera etc and in great condition, , as I am registered for vat I was not charged vat , however now having taken that big step ( sprinters with air con are very very rare ) and it was expensive but you get what you pay for , now do I bring it in as is and register it €200 as it is commercial and then get it converted and then get it re classified as camper and pay the vrt etc or get the conversion done in U.K. and then bring it in and pay the vrt etc , not sure what vat implications are that way , ,
2nd in reply to an earlier post re bulkheads i read the revenue and rsa guidelines as what constitutes a camper/motor caravan and it says it must be obviously( not a sham ) be a place with bed , cooking facilities that are fixed fittings etc and in that regard I researched some more on autotrader etc and there are many PROPER motorhomes with the bulkhead in place and some of those are 2016 and 2017 models in excess of 50k sterling so I would hope once it's converted professionally and certified as such that it will suffice for insurance purposes, I am very open to being corrected on any of theses issues and really will appreciate the thoughts of one and all ,
3rd with regard to my earlier postings of possible layouts i would really appreciate ideas thrown at me ,
Lastly anyone got thoughts on where i should get it converted ,
Regards

Congratulations on your purchase Kevin, it sounds a lovely van. I am also vat registered and there is no way I would reclaim vat on a van/ Motorhome that is going to be used for leisure purposes, it will come back to bite you and bite you hard. Revenue will take you to the cleaners, infact I wouldn't even discuss it here on the site. By the way I an curious why you want to retain the Bulkhead, wouldnt it be a pain having to go out of the van to go from the back to the front, I imagine it would be very claustrophobic not been able to see out the front.

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #49
Thank you.as regards the vat i have to research it more as if I bring it in as a commercial van that will be correct as is , i.e. I can't won't use it for leisure purposes , if however its converted at later stage i will need to get guidance on the vat as certainly it will be used in my business, however as i say I am open to correction,
Regards the bulkhead I'm annoyingly fussy about squeaks and rattles in anything i drive and it's for that reason and because "I think " the conversion would be far simpler tighter smoother finish if the bulkhead remains , however if the bulkhead gives that claustrophobic feeling it will definitely get a large clear, panel and i have considered inserting an escape hatch ( i didn't think of it ) within that panel as had been suggested to me here on this forum ,getting in an out of the habitation area by side door only doesn't concern me , strange you mention claustrophobia as I most definitely am and couldn't even consider the campers with the high fixed end bed as the roof is to close for me and I wouldn't even lie down in the overcab type beds , ( horses for courses) ,
I am hoping side and roof windows does away with that issue ,
Step 1 was finding correct sprinter as air con was an absolute must for me , the reversing camera and sat nav were a bonus , however the extra premium on a 2015 sprinter with those was £2000 sterling or there abouts, it would be easier to find hens teeth than a low mileage sprinter with air con,
Step 2 is more thinking and perhaps pop over thur or Friday and collect her , should really think of something to bring back as it's same price empty or full , maybe fill it with water but looks like that boat has sailed , double pun there 😊,
I've been thinking so long about this i get a pain in my head so today I just said buy it and see what happens from there , could always sell it before it's converted if i think it's not right way to go and wouldn't loose to much if any

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2018  ·  #50
Well folks i have decided on 80% the layout of my sprinter , which i will try explain later , however I have heard an opinion or two that the main criteria for insurance purposes is the seating arrangements etc and that if the seating is not changed or moved etc that that's the main thing , as my seating is not going to change if i stay with the layout in mind it will stay exactly as manafactured i.e. twin passenger seat and drivers seat ,
Your thoughts???

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #51
The main thing for vehicle modifications is that the works carried out are done to nasi standards for body type approval and that the works done are certified by an insurance bonded engineer.
These are the two things which will knock out most of the conversion companies that advertise.
Malcolm

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #52
The only thoughts I have on your conversation is you have a valuable van there and beware that if you don’t convert it with a popular layout you will find it very difficult to sell in the future. I certainly wouldn’t buy a camper that I had to go out a side door to go back in a front door or have a bulk head in place Incase I had to make a quick getaway if I was been attacked.

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #53
I hear what your saying Pat , but if your been attacked it's unlikely you will be getting into drivers seat and driving off , and once your outside the camper you have to come in some door unless your driving off so side door is ok generally, however of course the walk through would be nicer and certainly not claustrophobic and my main reason for the bulkhead is to have quite driving, alas it wouldn't be the 1st time I've tried to have a vehicle ( truck/commercial) designed to fit many different options and sometimes successfully and sometimes not, there's no substitute for thinking , but i do have to think as there's thousands upon thousands of van conversions out and very few with bulkhead in place that I could be very very wrong,
Today I received some replies from uk companies as to standard conversion prices and it sure is expensive and by and large the conversion prices are equal to what i paid for the van,
Nu venture have a new swb sprinter conversion in near stealth as in no rear windows and I think the finish is stunning ,
The more and more and more i reasearch I'm very drawn to a 3/4 pull out bed along the drivers side opposite the side door you walk in that operates as seating during day and a washroom across the back and cooking/sink etc on passenger side but starting back in line with where the side opening door rests when fully open thereby giving that area as large uncluttered , keep,the thoughts coming folks and i never see difference of opinion as negative

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #54
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Models

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #55
Quote by kevo

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/c…h=2&page=2,

This is close to my thoughts but push the cooker starting point down in line with door opening

Kevin I'm in Greystones come and have a look at my 02 Sprinter converted 16 years ago and still works well today. if I was to buy your van I would fit it out the same way but with modern stuff.
She is old but she works (except there are no injectors in it at the moment )

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #56
Wow that's brilliant and your close by , reality better than a thousand photos, thank you

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Models

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #57
Quote by kevo

Wow that's brilliant and your close by , reality better than a thousand photos, thank you

I'm down in the Hook now, back up Monday. PM me Tuesday or whenever suite's.

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2018  ·  #58
Cheers give me text when your back thanks 087 7068747

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2018  ·  #59
Opinions required, collecting the sprinter in uk next week and while I have 95 % of the layout designs in my head thanks to viewing sprinters ( Martin ) camper in Wicklow,
So I'm going for a privacy window in the passengers side sliding door and a window in the corresponding panel on drivers side, These will be the only windows in rear apart from 3 roof vents ,
My inclination is to have these side windows fixed ( not opening) but roof vents will definitely be opening as i want big one over the rear fixed bed area
? 1 is it ok to have those side windows fixed .
? 2 should roof vents/windows have fans

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Models

· 
Posted: 30.07.2018  ·  #60
I would go for the one opposite the door opening and a fan in the roof vent nearest the cooker. and a small roof vent or extractor type vent in the shower/toilet.
Did you see the post about Stena line 30% discount?

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2018  ·  #61
Can't find that post about stenna

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2018  ·  #62
It’s in across the water code is BUMBLE30 book by 1 aug valid til 18 Dec

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Models

· 
Posted: 31.07.2018  ·  #63
irish ferries just came in with
Summer Sizzler 30% off Britain
Can't see me?
30% off your sunny summer getaway to Britain

Make the most of our red-hot summer offer!

Bring your car to Britain and get 30% off your fare. Pack up your car and experience Britain’s record-breaking hot summer!

Sunshine, ice creams, deck chairs, all just a relaxing ferry journey away. As is Windsor, Brighton, or the Lake District.

You’ll need to hurry though, this offer is only around until 1st August. Book now and get 30% off your sunny summer getaway.

Travel. Together

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #64
Heading to Southampton in morning via Gatwick airport to collect the sprinter, back on the 20-30 out of Holyhead , was chaeper to book it commercial than private or with deals and i get a bunk and the grub, well I do like my grub ,
The start of a journey to turn into a camper van 😊

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2018  ·  #65
Can I ask a question for kevo's benefit - (and you may know the answer already!) for the tax man, you have to be assessed for VAT and vrt within a certain period of landing home - will he have to do this once when it comes back as a van and then re-assessed post conversion?

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2018  ·  #66
Well I am back with it now as it is commercial vehicle and as I'm registered for vat it does not apply and the vrt will be €200 when i register it , however when it's converted well that's a whole different ball game

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2018  ·  #67
Where could i get quote to fit the side privacy (dark) windows 1 in side door and 1 in corresponding panel in drivers side and do I need to think about getting the intergrated blind at this point or can that be fitted after ?
Also where to get quote for roof lights

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2018  ·  #68
cosy campers in rathcoole sell all the bits and pieces for conversions including bonded windows and they might have contact names of someone who do conversions, just a thought

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2018  ·  #69
Ta

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.