ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Mousehole stopover

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #1
Anyone any info on Mousehole in Cornwall?
Going there in july for a night, wondering what the wild camping is like?

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Mousehole stopover

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #2
Nice quaint little Cornish fishing port, scene of the Penlee life boat disaster where quite a few fishermen gave their lives to save the crew of the Union Star which I think sank with losses too. Be carefull not to refer to the locals as british as they will sharply reply ,we are Cornish and cornwall is an island which you have to cross a bridge to get to. But lovely people .It is refered to as Mousel down there

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #3
Quote by nilrac

Nice quaint little Cornish fishing port, scene of the Penlee life boat disaster where quite a few fishermen gave their lives to save the crew of the Union Star which I think sank with losses too. Be carefull not to refer to the locals as british as they will sharply reply ,we are Cornish and cornwall is an island which you have to cross a bridge to get to. But lovely people .

And camping?

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #4
Sorry folks cant say about camping as I was driving a furniture waggon in those days, but if you look on Google earth you will see the layout of the area. ,Now remember that a good proportion of England heads for Cornwall at that time of year so allow for plenty of hold ups.There is a camping site shown and an early booking might be a good idea as wild camping could be a big No No. At the moment in the UK the traveling fraternity are using motorhomes and send a scout on ahead to view the layout. If your van has irish plates then the locals will be on the blower to the local council or police.Hope this helps

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #5
Thanks Nilrac, i seen the campsite and was about to book but decided to sus out the wild camping first.
Thats something i never thought of, the irish number plates and the cousins. Although considering its a 1992 fiat, im sure it will be accepted our friends wouldnt be seen in one that old.
Yeah, think booking the site for the night is an acceptable proposition, cheers.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #6
Been there and its lovely, but only in a hire car. So this post is absolutely no use to you lol.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #7
Believe me anything that resembles to the people ,the trace of trouble is viewed with apprehension, they have invaded school playing fields ,council car parks and have taken months to get rid of them and what they leave behind. So do your homework before you go.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #8
Quote by Chevy g20

Been there and its lovely, but only in a hire car. So this post is absolutely no use to you lol.

:lol: every bit helps lol

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Mousehole stopover

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #9
We were over that direction last year walking and had to park outside the town near penlee caravan park. and walk in ,Its a very tight little town I wouldn't be trying to drive a motorhome around it, it was hard enough to walk around .its a lovely area all around there.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2018  ·  #10
thanks Martin, I have sent them an enquiry, hopefully they take campers. If not there is another next to a sports club, 18 sterling a night, will do.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2018  ·  #11
As a Cornishman, who has been to mousehole several times, even in a car it is tight. Lovely village but taxi or hire a car only. Cornwall in July is really really busy, a30 a nightmare so is the a38 and a39 do not plan to travel anywhere on a Friday or Saturday a they are change over days. Plenty of sites at st Ives and Hayle nice golden beaches but busy as hell.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2018  ·  #12
Spent a week in Penzance with the NI youth sailing squad 2 years ago. Walked to Mousehole a couple of times. Very tight roads. The kids were sailing beside St Michaels Mount and the village of Marazion. Lovely place but absolutely packed with tourists every day. However there was loads of parking in the surrounding fields for a price. There would be No problem in a motorhome but the key was to get there early. Penzance was a great place with plenty to do and great restaurants. Sadly we were staying in a hostel. I would love to go back in the MH, but not during the school holidays. Hope you have a great trip.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2018  ·  #13
This information has me a little apprehensive now. We had planned on staying outside most small towns, villages, and cycling in.
We arrive Saturday 14th in Pembroke, and the plan is to head to Pendogget for the night, do the doc martin tour sunday morning, then head to Mousehole for a stayover before heading to Blue Anchor on Monday morning. If the place is going to be as crowded as you say, might just get out of dodge after the tour and head up the coast to Blue Anchor.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Mousehole stopover

· 
Posted: 11.01.2018  ·  #14
How good are you on the bikes ?.Last time we were there we parked the cars in Marazion Station Car park and walked to mousehole its about 5 miles along close to the coast all the way trough Penzance. it is about 30 / 45 Min by bike on the cycle route. you could take your time and a visit there on the way .

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2018  ·  #15
im fairly good on the bike Martin until i start pedalling :lol: :lol:
But that might be an option.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.01.2018  ·  #16
Taking into account all the advice regarding traffic on the road to port isaac in July when we are travelling, I think a change of plan is in order.
There is a sailing from rosslare Friday evening that will get us to Pembroke at 00.45 meaning we can be on the road before the traffic. And if I get tired there are plenty of service stations along the way to pull over and sleep.
In general, would you recommend this?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.01.2018  ·  #17
Assuming your ferry arrives on Saturday morning at 0045 it would take me 5 to 6 hrs in a MH to port Isaac but in July and on a Saturday that could be extended considerably. The most direct route would wales to m4 then m5 using the Severn bridge, free to leave wales, then m5 and onto a30 after Exeter and then turn right after launceston on the a395 I think, turn left at the 1st junction then right before camelford over Slaughter bridge (note this road is narrow but so is camelford) then straight across at X road through Delabole, night mare place to drive through as cars park on both sides, through Delabole to pendogget ( but where can you leave you van there, there is no car park apart from the Cornish arms pub. There is a top car park in PI about 3/4 mile down to the harbour but if you need two spaces pay for both. There is limited off main road parking no yellow lines at hilson close, housing association properties and on mayfield road mainly council properties and Silvershell road but if you go in any turn round so you drive straight out, turning will be hard. If you head west the A39 has less traffic than the A30. Good luck. Oh if you are in PI on a Friday night the fishermen friends sing on the Platt/ harbour free of charge weather and other commitments permitting, they are very good.
Sorry forgot to say never tried any services as most have a 2 hr Limit. There is big industrial estate at Exeter take airport junction but go I towards park and ride and bandq you'll find somewhere there I reckon or there is a disused airfield far side of launceston near rough tor and brown willy they are hills loads of room there.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.01.2018  ·  #18
Thanks for that Strandcamping, looks like i will need to break the journey.
Tinagel is about 45 min drive from pi I think, so might make that my stopover till Sunday morning as we will arrive early Saturday.
That route you laid out looks the most straight forward, so that's the one i will take I think.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.01.2018  ·  #19
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Thanks for that Strandcamping, looks like i will need to break the journey.
Tinagel is about 45 min drive from pi I think, so might make that my stopover till Sunday morning as we will arrive early Saturday.
That route you laid out looks the most straight forward, so that's the one i will take I think.

Tintagel is not far as the crow flies but come in land avoid boscastle and trebarwith strand, both lovely but hard work in a MH. I went primary school at doc martins school now the old school hotel.
I hope you have a great time.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2018  ·  #20
Mousehole on Channel 4 Village of the year program at the minute. 20 minutes in. Might get it on catch up.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Mousehole stopover

· 
Posted: 17.01.2018  ·  #21
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Mousehole on Channel 4 Village of the year program at the minute. 20 minutes in. Might get it on catch up.

What are you doing watching telly in the middle of the day. :D

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2018  ·  #22
will have to check that out....when i get home from work. :'(

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2018  ·  #23
we done that trip a couple of summers ago but it was early july just before shcool holidays, we arrived in wales early monday morning and spent the day traveling stopping regularly visited weston super mare on the way down so by the time we hit the smaller roads it was night so reasonably quiet the only thing is they do road works at night during the summer so detours can happen, we stayed down in st ives and had a fabulous time and onthe way home we done port issacs and drove along the coast,you will have a great time we did! we intend to go back

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #24
thats something i didnt allow for, road works at night. im trying to work out the least hassle for our trip down, coming back up im not too concerned about.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #25
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Mark&Wendy

What are you doing watching telly in the middle of the day. :D

Waiting for Gin o'clock 😇

norma
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW T5
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.02.2018  ·  #26
Lots of good advice there especially from Strandcamping. Unfortunately it is all true re the traffic and wildcamping is difficult due to all the nimbys, mostly either rich second home owners or retired blow ins...
However Tintagel car park does welcome motorhomes and you can overnight there for about £4 I think.
Beware some of the larger council car parks do not allow motorhomes to park at night even if you are not sleeping in it! and none of them allow overnight sleeping...

In fact, looking at this, let me take the opportunity to apologise for the general unwelcomeness of Cornwall! It didn't used to be like this...

One thing we have started doing here in the summer to avoid the traffic is to drive early evening about 8ish, lovely and quiet then.

Enjoy your visit!

norma
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.02.2018  ·  #27
P.S
Arriving at 00.45 and beating the traffic sounds like an excellent idea if you are unable to arrive on a different day.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.02.2018  ·  #28
I'd be happy to

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2018  ·  #29
Just seen t

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2018  ·  #30
you been yet

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.06.2018  ·  #31
https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Att…TERED_LIST

I was specifically looking for Eden Project, though in July like everywhere, it will be busy. It was an interesting place to visit.
There is a section of car park for motorhomes, but upper car parks have Park and Ride.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.06.2018  ·  #32
Quote by witzend

Quote by ROBANDSUE

Anyone any info on Mousehole in Cornwall?
Going there in july for a night, wondering what the wild camping is like?

Have you been yet

heading 13th next month from pembroke or around that date.

norma
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2018  ·  #33
Best of luck. Have a great time. Get in touch if you need anything...

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2018  ·  #34
Guess your almost here WX good at the moment hope it holds for your visit

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #35
by local forecast

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.