kevo
Craic'er
My Motorhome: In progress
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

Models

· 
Posted: 07.07.2018  ·  #1
So here goes, decided a couple months ago to have a camper/ motorhome, have been up north3 times and looked at a few around the country, budget is hefty enough, initially thought needed something perhaps 4 berth etc but that was really just to cover all bases, however it's definitely only 2 berth I need and though I really like the elddis 115 i have now decided to have a van type camper, however after spending days litterally on the internet etc i actually can't find the layout i ( think ) i would like, here's my criteria which is most definitely subject to change, 1st of all it appears campers are easy to buy but next to impossible to sell privately as some of those I've seen are for sale for over 18 months etc and vehicles in the 2004 to 2010 year range appear ( please correct me ) to be unrealistic expensive and the common denominator is the privately owned ones are not selling and the owners don't appear to care ,
Anyway, I want to travel quite a bit but most likely only staying a day or twos most in any one place therefore I want something easy to drive and indeed even car like so a van type looks correct , ideally I would like a van with the bulkhead to remain in place and the camper itself to have shower and toilet across the back and 2 single beds up the side and the cooking sink etc ( perhaps behind the fixed bulkhead, or the bed across the back of the van( not to high tho ) and maybe all the services and tool compartment storage area underneath, as regards cooking etc i really only need single or double gas and small grill or microwave and definitely NO cooker , now i have not seen that type of layout but am sure yet will have some ideas or better still will have seen such and i look forward to hearing why some think it's bad idea and different views etc, I seen a 2017 fiat Ducato LWB today in UK with air con( is a must for me ) and cruise control etc for 12750 sterling and I would consider this or a sprinter and then get it professionally converted and yes I am reasonably aware of the vrt implications etc, look forward to replays,
Ps last camper was 30 years ago,and was factory made swb transit with pop up red and white roof

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Models

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #2
That would be an unusual layout, bulkhead in place means no swivel seats, and I do believe a ‘campercan’ For legal purposes may need direct access from drivers compartment to living area.
I’ve never seen that type of layout you mention..... but good luck in your search.
One thing I’d keep in mind, reselling it again.... a layout like that won’t suit a lot of people..... but if it suits you then go for it.
Keep us updated.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #3
You have obviously done a fair bit of research but it won’t be until you use the camper a few times until you realise exactly what layout really works for you. I would caution against keeping the the cab separated from the habitation area for a few reasons, namely you have at least two comfortable seats that you won’t use much when set up for camping, wasting valuable space, even if you are sat in the front and want to use the loo means going outside possibly in bad weather, you restrict your view and ventilation. Swivel cab seats would be what most people would want.
I saw a great sprinter conversion the other day but the owner said working with the sides that curved inwards at the top made the conversion a lot harder that a square sided van.
I would recommend hiring albeit I know the cost is high. Or go to some MH shows. Might be worth having a chat with vanderlust or another professional converter.
Also if you build yourself. Think about getting a lpg tank installed at the start and work out if solar panels, 1 or 2 leisure batteries and an inverter would be a good investment if wild camping will be the norm.
Good luck

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #4
From what you describe apart from the bulkhead if you want a main stream manufacturer look at what I have which is the Autosleeper van conversions.
The Symbol/Dorset is the baby at 5.40mts and the Kemberton comes in at 6mts and 6.36mts according to age. with regard to the toilet the Kemberton does go all across the back whereas due to smaller length the symbol has a side version. They made changes to the layout s around 2013 and we decided on a late 2012 suited us better.
David

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #5
Thank you very much for replies and I have just googled the pemberton autosleeper and the end washroom is exactly what I had in mind , David do you have a pemberton or does anyone know where i could have a peep at one to save me going across the water to have a look,
Also if the pemberton has end washroom in van type does that mean others have too , ( I haven't seen even tho I've really spent many many hours and days on internet)
Even tho it might appear unwise if I was to buy a van and get professional converted what would be wrong with using that layout but leave the bulkhead there and put a seat all the way across it , having said that it's probably going to be hard to beat the pemberton, once again thank you for replies and keep them coming ,
Regards
Kevo

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #6
David, apologies I've just realised you are across the water

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #7
The problem with leaving the bulkhead is that it reduces the living space by about 15-25% and you loose the use of the comfi arm chairs in the front.
If you want to cut off the back many people have simply fitted a heavy curtain across behind the cab seats
David

And its a real sod if it is chucking it down when you reach your destination and it is persistent wet stuff and you have to get out go round the van to get in

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #8
I think you have to have access to the back from the driving seat for the van to get camper classification for insurance etc I think even a VW can't have the front bench seat but I'm not %100 sure

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #9
Went on Ebay this afternoon and there's a lot of Mercedes sprinter motorhome/camper race vans with entry to habitation area from side door

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #10
Quote by eirebus

I think you have to have access to the back from the driving seat for the van to get camper classification for insurance etc I think even a VW can't have the front bench seat but I'm not %100 sure

I think that this was brought in to stop guys from bolting a caravan body onto a flatbed van.

Since the panel van conservation layout may seem different, I would suggest to expand your search into mainland Europe as this market is bigger and more popular .
A flight to Europe is similar cost to the uk.
However most dealer forecourts are empty during the summer months.
Happy hunting,
Malcolm

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #11
Thank you, hadn't thought of Europe. Language might be problem but il give it a go

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #12
Ok i am obviously missing something here or , so went onto a Gersman website and I can buy a new van type Ducato or similar 2/3 berth for between 30 and 37k , so even allowing for vrt surely that's great value or am i missing something big here, ok there left hand drive but that don't bother me

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #13
Something big here Irish TAXES

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Models

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #14
Quote by kevo

Ok i am obviously missing something here or , so went onto a Gersman website and I can buy a new van type Ducato or similar 2/3 berth for between 30 and 37k , so even allowing for vrt surely that's great value or am i missing something big here, ok there left hand drive but that don't bother me

Yes the vrt is not based on what you paid for it ,it will be based on what the recon it's value is in this Country. and what you're up against is the Hugh profit margins,

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #15
The vans that are for sale private and not selling is because they're lemons there's no other way around it. Vans that should probably be half of the value due to "X" issue.

There's also the value factor where I've seen people putting a few grand to fix the van and they put that extra cost on top of the van's value, which is obviously ridiculous.

There's a big jump on price from the year 2000 and above, engine technology and internal components definitely changed but you'll know yourself if those changes are worth to you or not. In our case, we decided to go with an older 1995, saved a couple of grands and we're happy out. Very simple mechanics to work on and if the van is in good shape, there'll be no hassle at all.

The other thing now is that specially on this crazy weather I imagine that there's not too many out there for sale at the moment, be patient and wait a few months where the market will be flooded with new vans. But having said that, keep an eye out, something might show up.

Cheers,
Rami

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #16
Yes checked that German website again just to make sure it wasn't night time thoughts i had and yes a new camper "appears " to half the price approx being quoted here , I could be doing too much research but once you buy it looks like you may stick with it as selling ain't an option

MickyMac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Giottiline T38
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #17
AFAIK, if you import a van/vehicle under 6 months old, you are liable for both VRT and VAT.

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #18
I am registered for vat but not sure I can claim it back on camper unless I can show I'm using it for business ( construction )

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Models

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #19
That's No.No I think , unless you can prove you are in the hire business.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #20
Maybe, I am having a brain fart moment.
Can you send pics and specs of a potential purchase to the vrt boys in Rosslare and receive an estimation of your future tax liability?
Malcolm

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #21
@Malcolm,
They will not give you a quote that way as then they cannot rip you off that way.
Its a mighty system that they have going as its their way or no way. Sure you can appeal but only after they have your payment. Then you have to do all the work as in prove that your MH is not as expensive as they have guessed

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.07.2018  ·  #22
So another week down the road and i still don't know what to buy , am i correct in saying the prices here quoted are totally unrealistic ?

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.07.2018  ·  #23
Everybody has their tuppence worth of opinion and I'm not saying nowt about anybody's layout but here goes.

The old adage, "the day you buy is the day you sell" has a lot of truth in it.

Panel vans are often advertised as Professional conversions.

This may mean that the guy/gal wot done it is a competent joiner, cabinet maker, electrician, upholsterer or plumber; but it is unlikely to be a combination of all trades.

Now I'm not slagging off anybody but when you come to sell you need to convince a potential purchaser that all these skills have been utilised.

I've heard of a professional electrician wiring a conversion using proper RCD's etc and the right loading of copper cable but it was solid, not multi-strand cable.

If I see a Motorhome for sale and it's say, Autosleeper Symbol then I know straight away what to expect in terms of insulation, safety devices, plumbing, heating, cooling, etc.

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.07.2018  ·  #24
As you say respect to all those who don there own thing but i certainly would not buy a homemade conversion

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.07.2018  ·  #25
So with a budget of approx what should I buy

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.07.2018  ·  #26
Quote by kevo

So with a budget of approx what should I buy

The answer to that is simple
You keep looking and then one day you will walk into one and it will be the one.
No matter how much research you do

know.

1. Max length you are prepared to go (either by where you park it or what you think your happy to drive)

2.Max width (as max length but more important) personally for me it is the width so rules out Coachbuilds for me

3. Min beds not max beds

4 Type of gearbox.

If after all the research you find what your research says you want and you walk in and don't like it you will never be happy I know as I have done it.

Things like upholstery/curtains etc can be changed but may well cost well into a four figure sum.

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.07.2018  ·  #27
Sorry ment to say budget is approx €35k, and am very drawn to van type 2 berth or the elddis 115 , if I can find or get made the best of those two in one , no one appears to agree disagree with my assumptions that everything is WAY WAY overpriced

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.07.2018  ·  #28
Have a look at Wildax conversions they do something like what you are describing, two bunks in the rear and a rear washroom.
A lot of the Continental brands do PVC type campers if you don't want a coachbuilt, Knaus, Hymer etc all make good conversions and they are much cheaper over there than here.
The VRT will add a good chunk on to them but if you price a new van the difference is not as big as you'd think, a factory built 'van will always hold its value much better than a commercial van, depreciation isn't anything like a commercial where they will be written down over 5 years.
Max width is a big point on narrow streets, I went over a bridge in Maastrict that was marked 2.30 m width my van is 2.05 and it was tight, not a lot of room either side.

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2018  ·  #29
That's why this forum is brilliant as I'd never heard of wildmax, there close but as hearnorboy suggested to me the kemerton 2012/2013 autosleeper the more I look at it ( which is every day on line ) ticks nearly all my boxes, van type so slim easy to manoeuvre and definitely something I could do lots of quick travel in as in a day here and there, large end washroom which is a must for me , in fact I like the whole layout ( in photos at least) and while ye might say well what am i waiting on or still writing about . Well there's 2 issues which i suspect ye will disagree with. The kemerton has the Peugeot engine whole I'd much much prefer a Ducato and 2nd is the price , 2013 kemerton is looking £38 sterling and that's plus vat whereas as there are several besscarr and such 2017 and 2016 2 berth coach builds for £35sterling which are surely better value ?? "
Left hand drive wouldn't bother me so if he no of any end washroom van types that i could google please let me know or if ANYONE knows of a kemerton ANYHERE in Ireland I could peep at it or otherwise it's a trip across the water and if I'm doing that I'd nearly want to have a good few lined up to see,
Your thoughts folks please

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2018  ·  #30
Kevo

Minor point re the Kemberton
Yes it is a Pug van (but this is the same van as the Fiat and Citroen all made at the same place) but you are wrong about the engine, These pugs have a Ford engine Type Puma under the bonnet same as fitted to the transit and you know what hammer they take. With regard to price yes Auto-Sleeper are more but then they cost a lot more new and build quality is far ahead of all the mainstream manufacturers, things actually fit and in the whole don't creak whilst driving.

What I don't understand why Auto-Sleeper don't have any agents in either Northern Ireland or Eire.

Doesn't one of the supporting dealers want them

David

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2018  ·  #31
David which one have you got , the Dorset ?

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2018  ·  #32
Quote by kevo

David which one have you got , the Dorset ?

Yes I do have the Dorset, well I own a Dorset but have had major electric problems so it currently still lives at the repair shop if you have not seen it
forum/topic.php?t=16090

Not Auto-Sleeper fault nor solely a Pug as Fiats and Cits also can have the problem in fact the Auto electrician tell me that he has had to rebuild 7 wiring harness units this year.

David

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2018  ·  #33
David i had no idea of the trouble your having and I am flabbergasted, it has also pit me right off motorhome, I have a Mercedes 2009 E220cdi estate with 60k miles and with lots of factory extras including the tow bar and wonderful car for towing and a 2 berth caravan looks vert appealing after reading your troubles

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2018  ·  #34
Ah well that's the way it goes, as it says it relates to a unit that Bosch only made for 1 year, lets be honest most people have very little go wrong or if it does it doesn't cost the earth to put right.
Told the only thing holding every thing up is a special one way connector for the back of the fuse box that costs pence but the auto-electrician cant find one, as I said with me its SODS LAW (or if your Irish Murphys Law)

David

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2018  ·  #35
Sounds like you got murphysods p

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

on Models

· 
Posted: 15.07.2018  ·  #36
Quote by heanorboy

Ah well that's the way it goes, as it says it relates to a unit that Bosch only made for 1 year, lets be honest most people have very little go wrong or if it does it doesn't cost the earth to put right.
Told the only thing holding every thing up is a special one way connector for the back of the fuse box that costs pence but the auto-electrician cant find one, as I said with me its SODS LAW (or if your Irish Murphys Law)

David

Have you gotten away this year at all yet? .

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2018  ·  #37
Decided that this was not going to wreck our lives just changed plans.
Did a 5 day Motorhome rally in the caravan, a holiday on a campsite with the caravan near Eastbourne with friends for a week, Booked a cottage near Dartmouth, Devon for a week with Grandson (aged 3) with his mum and dad.
What we have not done is the mid week breaks, to family and friends nor the long break which we bought the camper for this year was sort of pencilled in for a month in Scotland followed by a month give or take over the water in Northern Ireland, May and June it was to be, may still happen will be going to the Malvern Motorhome show next month (with or without the Camper).

Will take the caravan out again soon up to Derbyshire to visit folks up there (funny we have just been discussing it this morning)

Hopefully will have the van back for the Malvern Rally use it for that and most likely decide what to do with it

David

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2018  ·  #38
Just googled that Malvern rally and sure looks like good craic, anyway i have decided to follow my gut feeling and buy a fresh sprinter or equivalent ( is there any equivalent to a Mercedes ) with low low miles with air con and cruise control etc and get it converted to my spec which involves leaving the bulkhead in place as i love the quite driving and that way i keep 3 seat belts in cab , I don't mind the issue of getting out to get into the back part , so the design itself is a little open to suggestions with the washroom across the back and whether to put a full witdh seat behind the bulkhead and whether it should pull out into a double bed or pull out bed along the drivers side etc or dare i say it a fixed bed and washroom up the side but that's highly unlikely as the washroom is very important to me , cooking wise it can be real simple as I don't cook so 2 gas rings and an electric ring combi with sink ( if there is such a thing ) or i could be persuaded to put in small grill type of oven , microwave and kettle plug and fridge would be most important features for me , would like to keep the side opening door uncluttered so hopefully the cooking sink unit etc can fit past that point, whether to get a LWB OR XLWB( if it's sprinter) is something I have not decided on as practically the longer would be more useful to fit everything in but the xlwb can just be that bit unsightly or out of proportion,
I am not completely against the idea of getting the bulkhead with sliding door in middle and reduce the cab to 2 single seats , lastly i only intend to put rear in windows in the side door and in the same side panel on drivers side and perhaps roof lights in rest of van,
Your thoughts folks would be very welcome as I've no doubt ye seen this idea before and the pitfalls

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2018  ·  #39
I’m sure there is some ruling about being able to access the rear from the front to meet some requirement. Don’t know if it’s for insurance or to get your conversion classed as a camper, or for something else. But definitely check it out first before opting for that option.
Also on having a bulkhead... if you are somewhere parked up, and for whatever reason you are getting hasdled , you need to be able to just move into the drivers seat and drive away. You don’t want to be getting out into that kind of environment. Even if that’s not a concern for you, check out the former. Good luck with it

kevo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2018  ·  #40
Yes will try get a definition on access to habitation area , of course a sliding door bulkhead would solve both issues

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.