Is water for MH restricted during hose pipe ban?

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2018  ·  #1
We all appreciate that we have had exceptionally good weather this summer, but wondering are motorhomes allowed fill up with full capacity or limited on campsites, Dicks field etc.?
We are home 3 weeks from France but we didn’t empty our water tank, it can be used to water plants. How long would you leave water in your MH after a trip? During summer might have few days away once a month....apart from month in France.
Our grass was over a foot high when we got home, but now short and yellow like everywhere else.

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

Re: Is water for MH restricted during hose pipe ban?

· 
Posted: 11.07.2018  ·  #2
We were away in ours last weekend. Before I left, I connect the hose and put in as close to the amount needed as I could estimate. Now, I could have filled it with a watering can from the same tap and technically not be in contravention of the hose pipe ban but hey the hose was easier. Bottom line, I was only filling up with the water that we would use (far less in fact) if we stayed at home. Common sense has to prevail in situations such as this. That said, it is a lot easier for common sense to prevail when one lives in an area where they don't have to worry about a nosy neighbour taking a sneaky photo a publishing it online.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2018  ·  #3
This should be enough until the ban is over.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2018  ·  #4
A bit of common sense here lads.

Hose Pipe Ban is a slang name for the National Water Conservation Order

Here is what the Order says.
The prohibited uses are as follows:

Use of water drawn through a hosepipe or similar apparatus for the purpose of:

Watering a garden
Cleaning a private motor-vehicle using a domestic hosepipe
Cleaning a private leisure boat
Filling or maintaining a domestic swimming or paddling pool (except when using hand-held containers filled directly from a tap)
Filling or maintaining a domestic pond (excluding fish ponds)
Filling or maintaining an ornamental fountain (with the exception of such use for commercial purposes)
Filling or replenishing an artificial pond, lake or similar application.

Obviously, filling a MH fresh water tank using a hose is not prohibited

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2018  ·  #5
Yes, I agree with the above all non essential use of a hosepipe is banned this does not include filling a MH tank

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #6
Well lads, I had this question last week before I went off on a few day break where my tank was almost empty... I reached out to Irish Water and they advised that there's no exceptions to the ban at the moment and thus I was not allowed to use my hose pipe even if it was to fill up my tank where my case was that it was absolutely no wasteful as it'll be pretty much the same amount of water (probably much less) as if I would have stayed home but still the answer was "no".

They advised to go to any commercial place as they are allow to use water, for example a garage and that's exactly what I did... I went to my local Topaz and filled up my tank for free actually with no issues whatsoever.

Me being a foreigner, as a guest I'm always extra careful with this kind of things and always play by the rules... even if it was a law loophole, if I can avoid the nosy neighbor from giving out to me, then that's definitely worth the hassle :)

Cheers,
Rami

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #7
Quote by RTV

Well lads, I had this question last week before I went off on a few day break where my tank was almost empty... I reached out to Irish Water and they advised that there's no exceptions to the ban at the moment and thus I was not allowed to use my hose pipe even if it was to fill up my tank where my case was that it was absolutely no wasteful as it'll be pretty much the same amount of water (probably much less) as if I would have stayed home but still the answer was "no".

They advised to go to any commercial place as they are allow to use water, for example a garage and that's exactly what I did... I went to my local Topaz and filled up my tank for free actually with no issues whatsoever.

Me being a foreigner, as a guest I'm always extra careful with this kind of things and always play by the rules... even if it was a law loophole, if I can avoid the nosy neighbor from giving out to me, then that's definitely worth the hassle :)

Cheers,
Rami

Two things .
You could have filled up at home using a watering can,they were not banned. ( which just goes to show has feckin stupid they are )
As far as I am concerned on the base's that they waste more water then all of us put together,I wouldn't take any advise from them.
But well done for being a concerned citizen :up:

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #8
I’m afraid RTV you’re more law abiding than I would be?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #9
Quote by RTV

Cheers,
Rami

The person you were speaking to obviously doesn't know their own regulation.
https://www.water.ie/news/national-water-conservati/

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #10
Quote by sprinter

Quote by RTV

Cheers,
Rami

Two things .
You could have filled up at home using a watering can,they were not banned. ( which just goes to show has feckin stupid they are )
As far as I am concerned on the base's that they waste more water then all of us put together,I wouldn't take any advise from them.
But well done for being a concerned citizen :up:

If I was working for Irish Water I would cover my ass and give you the same answer, waste of time phoning them, they aren't going to put their neck on the line. Just use common sense or if you feel guilty use your watering can.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #11
If my mate can run his auto filtering swimming pool that changes 100% of the water every 4 weeks, run his auto watering system in his garden, run a 3 bathroom house, and have a flat with wet room attached, all this in a country with 320+ days of sunshine a year in the middle of 10’s of thousands of acres of vegetable farmland irrigated 24/7.....
His water bill for all this is less than €150 per year.....

then

I sure as hell will fill my motorhome tank with 100 litres with a hosepipe ( to hell with a ban) in a country that rains 320+ days a year...

Absolute and complete bullshit the way Irish water and a shower of gombeens career politicians try and tie us up and extract as much money as they can from us.... nonsense is what it is.

Get their finger out and sort the issue and stop making excuses... crowd of wasters.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2018  ·  #12
Quote by JJF

If my mate can run his auto filtering swimming pool that changes 100% of the water every 4 weeks, run his auto watering system in his garden, run a 3 bathroom house, and have a flat with wet room attached, all this in a country with 320+ days of sunshine a year in the middle of 10’s of thousands of acres of vegetable farmland irrigated 24/7.....
His water bill for all this is less than €150 per year.....
then

I sure as hell will fill my motorhome tank with 100 litres with a hosepipe ( to hell with a ban) in a country that rains 320+ days a year...

Absolute and complete bullshit the way Irish water and a shower of gombeens career politicians try and tie us up and extract as much money as they can from us.... nonsense is what it is.

Get their finger out and sort the issue and stop making excuses... crowd of wasters.

With you all the way there jjf ,we are only using a product that we are paying for. When has that become illegal?

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #13
Points taken and thanks for forwarding me the actual article with all the details... yet still, I think I'll do it again on the petrol station just to avoid the conversation with your man the nosy neighbor, which I do have a few around in my state.

I agree 100% with you guys and I'm actually one of those that conserves water all year round and didn't go crazy with "the irish summer", but well.. sometimes you have to take the path of least resistance. :)

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #14
Quote by RTV

Points taken and thanks for forwarding me the actual article with all the details... yet still, I think I'll do it again on the petrol station just to avoid the conversation with your man the nosy neighbor, which I do have a few around in my state.

I agree 100% with you guys and I'm actually one of those that conserves water all year round and didn't go crazy with "the irish summer", but well.. sometimes you have to take the path of least resistance. :)

For me, a full tank, 120 litres, lasts the best part of a week, depending on the number of showers taken.
I bet your nosey neighbour uses more than that every day.
Perhaps you could point out that to him/her if a comment is passed.

I would have an issue with using water from a tap at a garage which, if not installed for the specific purpose of providing drinking water, might not be connected to the mains with food grade piping.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #15
Quote by baguette

Quote by RTV

For me, a full tank, 120 litres, lasts the best part of a week, depending on the number of showers taken.
I bet your nosey neighbour uses more than that every day.
Perhaps you could point out that to him/her if a comment is passed.

I would have an issue with using water from a tap at a garage which, if not installed for the specific purpose of providing drinking water, might not be connected to the mains with food grade piping.

My tank is actually quite small... I think it only holds either 60 or 70lts. Even when filling up with my hosepipe I won't use it as drinkable water, so the garage is not an issue to me. But yeah, as I said, I get it and fully agree just choose the path of least resistance here... it wont be long for the "irish summer" to be over and things be back to normal.

And for sure, bans like this only affect the ones that play by the rules and were not part of the problem in the first place. The people filling up swimming pools twice a week are most likely still doing it regardless, but anyways... I know my luck, if I even look at my hosepipe I'll have pitch forked mob outside my house in 5 minutes :P

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #16
Someone mentioned recently that over 40% of the water is lost due to underground leaks in the network, so I wouldn't get too uptight about it. Apparently IW are now reducing water pressure overnight in the Dublin area to reduce the loss... Its a joke really.

Even though we're on a group scheme where we live and no-one is losing their minds over water just yet, I'm glad I held onto my 1000L IBC from when we built the house. If we do run out of water, at least I can trailer it over to the river bride and fill it up! Lets hope the rivers don't dry up!! :shock: :happy:

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #17
Tthe Wicklow mountains are full of lakes but Irish water seems not to have noticed this, and the fact that pipes don't always have to be berried underground in emergencies and that pumps exist.
Maybe we should get the now-redundant pumps the cave rescuers in Thailand used along with the lads who carried them over some very rough ground to show Irish water how to shift water from where it is, into some of the feeder streams and rivers supplying the Vartry reservoir,
But once again the last thing, that anyone on the Government payroll thinks off is, LOGIC

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.