Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Wild camping in tents

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #1
With the great weather of recent times, we have witnessed an explosion of folks wild camping in tent in spots that normally only motorhome occupy.
Any observations?
Malcolm

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: Wild camping in tents

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #2
Yes. The last few weekends there has been tents and caravans down at Hook Head. I hate to think what the tenters are doing for toilet facilities. If it keeps up I can see a total ban, including motorhomes, on overnight stays.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Wild camping in tents

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #3
Quote by Thorn123

With the great weather of recent times, we have witnessed an explosion of folks wild camping in tent in spots that normally only motorhome occupy.
Any observations?
Malcolm

Not quite, but its was great to see the amount of family's and groups in tents in the Hook this last weekend its how we started going to the Hook over 40 years ago. And have since built a house in the Area .and you don't see the same type of crap we have seen in Galway Docks.
I think the difference is between rural and city ,(city we all expect bins )

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #4
To a certain extent I would agree with sprinter, respect our countryside is beaten into a rural folk from a young age.
Last Saturday night, we were in Dromineer co Tipperary, when at 1 am a few gobs##ts were kicked out of the only pub to discover that they had forgotten to pitch their tent.
After myself and my wife sorted their sleeping arrangements,in their own cars, they informed us that they landed to Dromineer on a Facebook whim.
Seemly this is the new rage, motorhome folks will sort out the gobs##ts for a few hours of kip.
Ironically our fellows couldn't stand at 1.30 am but drove away at 7 am.
My own personal opinion is that the guys that we saw in the wee hours of Sunday morning, didn't know which end of a cow, gave milk.
Malcolm

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #5
It has certainly exploded in Cork, beaches are full of them and for the most parts I'm happy to see that as I do remember how much I enjoyed my tenting ages.

As anything, it'll be up to them to show respect for the environment and their neighbors with fair play. I know a lot of friends that have been camping with tents lately and I know for a fact that they left nothing but footprints behind. Lots of exceptions out there unfortunately, but it's not an issue that it's going to be fixed short term. And I honestly don't see anything being done to at least start fixing the issue, only thing I've seen so far is cries to the council to go and clean it up after, which is arguably part of the problem.

Same as millennials, if mom comes right after to clean it up then they'll take no notice. We need education and fines... banning everyone will only affect those who follow the rules, which were the ones not creating the problem in the first place.

But other than that, I actually welcome tents and families being able to enjoy a quick and cheap getaway for the weekend :)

scotgard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Maxi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #6
Like RTV I have many happy memories from my early tent camping days. No doubt most of us had our first introduction to the great outdoors under canvas and learned the ropes as we grew to enjoy it. These wild campers may be fellow motorhomers in the future. As regards anti social behaviour I'm afraid a drunk bowsie will be a drunk bowsie whether staying in a tent, a B&B or a 5 *Hotel. More people embracing the outdoor life will hopefully lead to more facilities for all of us. That's my tuppence worth 8-)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.