Leisure battery question

Sprocket
Subject:

Leisure battery question

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #1
Hi all,

We have our Renault Master campervan about a month and everything is going well. But we have noticed the leisure battery seems to drain very fast e.g drove about 3 hours which I thought would be a decent charge for the battery, left an Aldi cooler box plugged in (nothing else) and the inverter started beeping after 3/4 hours.
The battery is a XV13MF 110Ah C20 AccuStart CXV. There are indicator lights on it, red, green and Check Battery. The “check battery” light is on so I guess it’s goosed but..... my question is, should I just buy a replacement battery or should I get it checked out to see if something more sinister is going on,
Thanks in advance
Denis

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Leisure battery question

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #2
Anything that heats or cools can be power hungry..... what draw does the cooler box take ?... your investor consumes energy too converting 12v to 240v.....
Is the leisure battery getting 13 volts + when the engine is running and is enough current getting through to charge it up ?
Also, does your leisure battery charge fully on EHU ?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Leisure battery question

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #3
Confused.
Are you running a cool box on 220v trough an inverter. (What is the ampage rating on the cool box )
Or are you running it on 12volt, with a CIG lighter socket ( what is the rating on 12 volt )
All info should be on the label.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #4
I run a halfords coolbox in my camper it’s 12volt and 240volt when it’s on it runs non stop so I put a temp control panal on when it its 4 Deg it’s turns of and comes on at 10 deg saving your batt but I would put a meter on you batt switch lights and other things on that use your batt ie not the cool box and see what the voltage drop is
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #5
Quote by hillton9

I run a halfords coolbox in my camper it’s 12volt and 240volt when it’s on it runs non stop so I put a temp control panal on when it its 4 Deg it’s turns of and comes on at 10 deg saving your batt but I would put a meter on you batt switch lights and other things on that use your batt ie not the cool box and see what the voltage drop is

Did you make the panel/thermostat up yourself or buy it already made

Sprocket
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2018  ·  #6
After some investigation it turns out the individual that converted the van neglected to install a split relay between the batteries. I've purchased one and am in the process of installing it, this should explain the issue and sort it out.

Would be interested in hearing some more info about that cooler thermostat

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.