Anyone Replaced Ducato (94-02) Shocks?

It goes bang....

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2018  ·  #1
Has anyone here changed their shocks on a 94-02 model Ducato? Mine is a '96 and if I hit a pothole there is a fair bang out of the van.... I ride BMW bikes and when I had the older models (1100, 1150 etc) the first thing I did was swap out the suspension as they are usually rubbish after 10 years (or less). I suspect the same with the van.

So I think the van could do with new shocks at some point over the summer. If anyone has replaced theirs, what ones did you buy?

newt
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Anyone Replaced Ducato (94-02) Shocks?

· 
Posted: 16.06.2018  ·  #2
I had a similar knocking on the nearside, it was the top suspension mount. Apparently it's a common fail on these, mine is a 98 model.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #3
Are your shocks leaking oil or is your tyre pressures too high , you could also look into air suspension

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #4
Changed mine on a 2003 boxer, oil leak on a mot ,no probs but watch the drive shaft doesn't slip out when dropping the wishbone and getting the old one down and out, you loose your gearbox oil. You should change them in pairs unless you can get a garage/mot place to check if the old one is equal to the new one and you can maybe get away with fitting one. I got mine on line from mister-auto , good price

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #5
Replace the roller bearings on top of the shock plates too, did both on mine as one was seizing.
The 4x M12 bolts that attaches shocks to hubs will be tight and a bugger to get out.
The roller bearings available on ebay, see HERE

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.06.2018  ·  #6
Quote by essjay

Has anyone here changed their shocks on a 94-02 model Ducato? Mine is a '96 and if I hit a pothole there is a fair bang out of the van.... I ride BMW bikes and when I had the older models (1100, 1150 etc) the first thing I did was swap out the suspension as they are usually rubbish after 10 years (or less). I suspect the same with the van.

So I think the van could do with new shocks at some point over the summer. If anyone has replaced theirs, what ones did you buy?

They're not that difficult to replace but you'll need a spring compressor tool to do so. Which is the most difficult/scary part, but nothing to worry about if you use the tool properly.

Now, having said that, make sure that you actually need new shocks and it's not something else as the lads said above.

Do a visual inspection on your shocks, look for leaks, etc... then, the good old method is to push the van down from the bonnet, just give it a nice push down and let go. the van should bounce once and stop, if the bounces continue, your shock is gone and the spring is just bouncing around until it settles. Try on both sides...

Does it feel extra bouncy when you're riding?

With big potholes, you could have hear the suspension bottoming out, it would be normal to hear a bang on any vehicle.

Not saying don't replace your shocks, not a bad idea if they're old. But if they're working....

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.06.2018  ·  #7
Was there anything on the last test to indicate that the shocks needed replacing? As advised (NEWT) it could be the mounting,if they are worn that is what will give the bang,in a pothole or speed ramp.
In my experience shock's that bang will have no oil left and there will have been signs of leaks all over the suspension ,also it will bounce on the spring's every time you brake and the nose will be nearly on the ground or the wheels off the ground before you hear the bang.

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1992 Hymer B534
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.06.2018  ·  #8
Hi - i replaced all shocks, coil springs and roller bearings in Hessy. I have extra roller bearings and rubber socks in the garage i couldnt be bothered sending back - if you want to PM me.
The shocks i got a garage to put in to save the hassle and avoid injury as they are a strong spring back and heavy to boot.
Get good ones - i used the German - Augostiel i think they are and they are the business. Monroe was the make i went for and stepped up the loading ability for the back end.
When in there - replace the front rubbers on the struts and the driving experience is totally different. Smooth and glides now.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.06.2018  ·  #9
Quote by Hessy Hymer

Hi - i replaced all shocks, coil springs and roller bearings in Hessy. I have extra roller bearings and rubber socks in the garage i couldnt be bothered sending back - if you want to PM me.
The shocks i got a garage to put in to save the hassle and avoid injury as they are a strong spring back and heavy to boot.
Get good ones - i used the German - Augostiel i think they are and they are the business. Monroe was the make i went for and stepped up the loading ability for the back end.
When in there - replace the front rubbers on the struts and the driving experience is totally different. Smooth and glides now.

What model is your van based on? Ducato 230? 3500kgs?

Any idea of the Monroe part numbers?

newt
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.06.2018  ·  #10
Replaced mine (1998 fiat ducato) with Sachs from euro car parts. If buying now carpartsforless.co.uk are usually a lot cheaper even though i believe they are the same company.

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2018  ·  #11
Yes ducato 230 chassis, 3.5 kg
ill dig out the details over weekend of ok ^_^

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.06.2018  ·  #12
Good morning
I checked my inbox and cannot locate the invoice for these, but i did use the web to buy them - probably a German site - or Europarts - sorry i cant assist further.
There is a complete assembly in the struts and you may as well change the works when there
Good luck

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.