Leaking Skylight

What sealant?

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Leaking Skylight

· 
Posted: 16.06.2018  ·  #1
I have a leaking skylight that I'll need to remove and reseal. What is the recommended sealant to use?

A friend said Tech 7 but that also bonds. I've heard silicone sealant can't stand up to UV so will break down over time.

What's the best stuff to use? Preferably something I can pick up in Woodies or Homebase.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Leaking Skylight

· 
Posted: 16.06.2018  ·  #2
Ssarch this site using the little magnifying glass top right hand side,

Plenty of topics covered in the past 👍

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2018  ·  #3
I replaced one a few months ago, there are mechanical fixings to hold it in place but the weather seal needs to be a non setting mastic to allow for movement.

Just checked the type of mastic, it was Dekalin Dekaseal 8936

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2018  ·  #4
I used a non setting mastic sealant that I got on E- bay. It was called W4 and you could get it different widths. It was for caravan/ motorhome windows etc. Will try and get image.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2018  ·  #5
Quote by GMAC

I used a non setting mastic sealant that I got on E- bay. It was called W4 and you could get it different widths. It was for caravan/ motorhome windows etc. Will try and get image.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2018  ·  #6
I'm here tonight doing another rooflight. Some prick in the past did a bodge job running a bead of tec7 or something else around the outside edge. It was a pig of a job to get the rooflight off and I think I'd prefer to be stripping wallpaper than cleaning this sh*t up.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2018  ·  #7
When I had to replace the roof light on my previous van I was recommended and used
Wurth Bond and Seal
Did the job great and it contains no Silicon

You will find that it is often the preferred choice by many caravan workshops at least that is the case in the UK, and they stock it.
so the best place to get is your nearest motorhome/caravan dealer

Bought mine from Davan for example

Most of the stuff carried by the big DIY chains are not suitable for vehicles due to the excessive flexing required, and contain silicon
Can be bought on e-bay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x…Swf-VWbCTv
David

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2018  ·  #8
Quote by heanorboy

When I had to replace the roof light on my previous van I was recommended and used
Wurth Bond and Seal
Did the job great and it contains no Silicon

You will find that it is often the preferred choice by many caravan workshops at least that is the case in the UK, and they stock it.
so the best place to get is your nearest motorhome/caravan dealer

Bought mine from Davan for example

Most of the stuff carried by the big DIY chains are not suitable for vehicles due to the excessive flexing required, and contain silicon
Can be bought on e-bay

I used on the big skylight on the Chausson, it was a mighty job but the big downside is the sky light will never again be removed in one piece

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x…Swf-VWbCTv
David

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2018  ·  #9
Needs must in this situation, I've a ferry to catch tomorrow. It's elbow grease city removing all trace of whatever crap was put on as a bodged outside seal. After that I've two tubes of bituminous mastic which incidentally I did find in woodies. I had spoken to charles camping earlier today and they had something similar but I couldn't get to blessington before 6 and thank Christ I didn't leave it until morning given the bollox of a job it's turned out to be.

There was both grey and black non setting mastic as well as the white stuck solid sh*t. Could be the first attempt failed due to not removing the old sealant before applying the new stuff.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2018  ·  #10

The roof side is finished for tonight, here's my nice cflean stripe around the edge and some of the tools that made the job easier.

For those of you who have significant others caught up in the latest Gin buzz, the glasses are ideal for craft beer too being that little bit bigger than a pint glass means you don't have to worry about it having a bit more from, it'll still fit in the glass without overflowing.

Now for cleaning up the crap off the roof light..

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2018  ·  #11
There should be a picture in that last one, I'll figure it out later

The previous post makes sense now with the image 😀

Will take some pics of the refit in the morning.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2018  ·  #12
I didn't get enough time to so much as pour a watering can of water over the new seal on Saturday before setting off for the ferry. After an epic thunderstorm here in Normandy, I can confirm that all has held tight. I'm still inclined to refit with Dekaseal after the holidays but the hurried refit with
https://www.woodies.ie/bostik-…0ml-501333 seems to have done the job. Long term I don't know if it's up to the amount of movement in a motorhome but it's more than up to the weather as it's intended for flat roofs and the like.
I did feel the viscosity was a bit low so I allowed it to cure for 20 minutes after application before fitting the rooflight in place.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.