Breakdown Cover

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Breakdown Cover

· 
Posted: 10.06.2018  ·  #1
With ADAC not offering policies to non-German residents, what are my options now for getting cover?

I have a 20+ year old van so cover is essential.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Breakdown Cover

· 
Posted: 10.06.2018  ·  #2
Quote by essjay

With ADAC not offering policies to non-German residents, what are my options now for getting cover?

I have a 20+-year-old van so the cover is essential.

Check out what the caravan and camping club have to offer. Axia is not interested in breakdown cover. Stewart / Aviva I think sub it out to the AA. so try them direct. Mondial Assistance is another and Allianz-assistance.ie‎
It's a nightmare. unfortunately, in this country, we have Government assistance in insurance RIP OFF and the Poli-Ticks don't give a flying F--K.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Breakdown Cover

· 
Posted: 11.06.2018  ·  #3
I have had cover with the RAC through the Camping and Caravanning club for a number of years. No weight, length or age restrictions on the policy and it's member based not vehicle. I've never really had call to use it when abroad but the inevitable happened this year. We arrived on the 4th June and the next day noticed the battery warning light was staying on when engine started so to be on safe side called RAC Europe assist and they had recovery vehicle out to me in an hour. The guy diagnosed that the alternator was overcharging battery and transported us 35 Kms to the Fiat dealership to check it out. They were unable to check van for two days so RAC arranged hotel for two nights and taxi. When it came to Thursday Fiat decided they may not be able to check van before weekend so RAC arranged to have van transported again to another garage who had the van repaired and we were back on road on Friday. I wouldn't have liked to be abroad and not have cover. Definitely worth having.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2018  ·  #4
Quote by GMAC

I have had cover with the RAC through the Camping and Caravanning club for a number of years. No weight, length or age restrictions on the policy and it's member based not vehicle. I've never really had call to use it when abroad but the inevitable happened this year. We arrived on the 4th June and the next day noticed the battery warning light was staying on when engine started so to be on safe side called RAC Europe assist and they had recovery vehicle out to me in an hour. The guy diagnosed that the alternator was overcharging battery and transported us 35 Kms to the Fiat dealership to check it out. They were unable to check van for two days so RAC arranged hotel for two nights and taxi. When it came to Thursday Fiat decided they may not be able to check van before weekend so RAC arranged to have van transported again to another garage who had the van repaired and we were back on road on Friday. I wouldn't have liked to be abroad and not have cover. Definitely worth having.

Any idea if you can go direct to RAC or do you need to be a member of the club?

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2018  ·  #5
No , I'm not a member and have RAC insurance, customer services number is 0330 159 0334 if ringing from UK or +44 161 332 1040

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2018  ·  #6
Quote by essjay

Quote by GMAC

You can get cover direct from RAC but I think there are weight and length restrictions....I could be wrong but it would be worthwhile checking.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.06.2018  ·  #7
Quote by GMAC

Quote by essjay

Quote by GMAC

You can get cover direct from RAC but I think there are weight and length restrictions....I could be wrong but it would be worthwhile checking.

Just checked my policy, the vehicle must "UK registered"
Less than :-
3.5 tonnes
7.0 metres long inc. towbar
2.55 metres wide
3 metres high

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.06.2018  ·  #8
That's exactly it Colin...weight and length restrictions direct but not through Camping and Caravanning club. My vans over 3.5 and 7 MTRS so it pays me to have it through C&C club

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.06.2018  ·  #9
Just rang them there and as I'm based in "Southern Ireland" they can't sell me any cover.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.06.2018  ·  #10
Quote by essjay

Just rang them there and as I'm based in "Southern Ireland" they can't sell me any cover.

Sorry Jack should have mentioned that but didn't know your based in Republic.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2018  ·  #11
If I'm based in Southern Ireland can I get RAC cover though the Camping & Caravanning Club or is that still UK only?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2018  ·  #12
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Breakdown Cover

· 
Posted: 14.06.2018  ·  #13
have a look at the Motorcaravan club of Ireland website, they have Repatriation cover with Mondial if you can get a membership.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #14
Unfortunately I would think Camping and Caravanning club would be UK membership only but again worth an enquiry.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Breakdown Cover

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #15
Quote by GMAC

Unfortunately I would think Camping and Caravanning club would be UK membership only but again worth an enquiry.

What about. Some of these they all claim to be Irish.
iccc.ie

thecaravanclud.ie

motorhomecaravanclub.com

imcc.ie

Munstermotorhomeclub.ie

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #16
Quote by sprinter

Quote by GMAC

What about. Some of these they all claim to be Irish.
iccc.ie

thecaravanclud.ie

motorhomecaravanclub.com

imcc.ie

Munstermotorhomeclub.ie

Yep definitely worth enquiring with as many clubs to see who offers best cover. Hopefully they get sorted with suitable cover.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.