My VW LT35 conversion

davidrory

Subject:

My VW LT35 conversion

· 
Posted: 02.06.2018  ·  #1
I've had this VW a little over a year now and have been modding it to suit our needs. I can't claim any credit for the very high standard of fittings - that was done by the guy I bought it from. He was obviously a real perfectionist and the interior reflects that. I've never seen such high quality work, even on factory vans. The insulation is three layers and is the best I've ever seen. (This is my sixth MH all called 'Rocinante' some times spelled: Rozinante. This was the name of Don Quixote's horse.)
We spent a month in France and Spain last year and came home with a list of improvements to make over the winter. The van is all electric - no gas at all, other than a small portable camping stove.
I bought a 3.5 Loncon generator that sometimes lives under an upholstered box by the side door. We found we rarely used this while abroad as we prefer to stop at ACSI sites. This June when we head off, the gen will stay at home.
The mods I've done include: a 100a solar panel. We changed the old sold iron two ring hob for the much faster induction one fitted now. The micro/grill/oven is much used. There was no fridge fitted, just a cool box on a slider in a cupboard. That proved no use in the heat so we bought a portable compressor fridge that sits just inside the side door and is silent, and runs of either mains or the leisure battery backed by the solar.
The toilet is basic but suits us well enough. (The toilet roll holder is Great Western Railway fitting found in antique shop at Kilbrittan recently. It is perfect and does not let the roll unravel! A small thing but it is little things like that that makes Rocinante 6 uniquely ours.)
The solar charge controller also has a direct connection to run a usb/cig-lighter-plug to charge phones, laptops and run a small fan when off grid.
The rear lounge makes into a large double, which we make up and leave up while away on tour. A memory foam topper tailored to fit, makes a good nights sleep easy. There is plenty of room to use the small galley and table with the bed made up. We mostly eat outside and have chairs and table fitted in narrow but tall area behind the rear doors. The heavy-duty outside silverscreen and the side sun shade for the awning also fit there.
I fitted the heavy duty alloy wheels and which gave us a significant bit of extra payload. The van is plated at 3.5 tonnes and the weighbridge says it is 3.00 fully loaded and with one passenger. 500k is a good load of wine stashed under the bed!
I also fitted the awning which was a bit of a fiddle since I could not get a fitting kit for this van. The one that was sent was for a low roof - I used bits from that and the standard bits to make fittings that worked. It is now very belt and braces and is going nowhere.
I paid what is a very reasonable price for a van with under 120k miles when I bought it. It had a respray just before we had it and the bright VW red is the reason it was well priced. The guy said many potential buyers where put off by the colour. I don't mind, as the 2.5 turbo 5 cyl motor gives it a real turn of speed. So since it's more GTI than TDI - then perhaps red suits it.
I fitted the mock walnut and carpets to cheer up the cab and next year I might tackle the metal work needed to remove the double seat and fit a single to permit a walk through from the cab.
On tour last year we averaged 30 to 38 mpg on super-diesel. We often cruised at an effortless 70mph on the longer runs.
I am well pleased with Rosinante 6 and will use it until we are too ancient to manage anymore.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

doron
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: My VW LT35 conversion

· 
Posted: 02.06.2018  ·  #2
Great, Enjoy your van.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.06.2018  ·  #3
Looks great ENJOY

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.06.2018  ·  #4
A well thought out job. May all of your miles be many and enjoyable.
Malcolm

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2018  ·  #5
That’s a lovely looking van health to enjoy

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2018  ·  #6
Great conversion, wear well.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2018  ·  #7
Looks the bees knees,
I love the 2.5 5pot. I had a 06 one for work a few years back and loved it,

I looked at a Rimor on an LT35, it needed body work but the seller was a complete d**k head and didnt seem to accept it, I didnt buy it in the end,

davidrory

Subject:

Yes!

· 
Posted: 03.06.2018  ·  #8
Quote by mad max

Looks the bees knees,
I love the 2.5 5pot. I had a 06 one for work a few years back and loved it,

I looked at a Rimor on an LT35, it needed body work but the seller was a complete d**k head and didnt seem to accept it, I didnt buy it in the end,

I think I may have looked at that too or one like it. The problem I had with any big Rimor Superbrig was weight. Even those plated at 3.5 would never have passed a weighbridge at 3.5 unless empty and gutted.
I lost my C license entitlement when I changed from a UK to Irish many years ago. At the time I didn't notice and when I did I was told it was too late to reinstate it. No way was I going to do medicals and retests so I had to stick to 3.5.
In the end the van conversion suited me better, much easier on narrow roads both here and in the Alps. And easier to find a place to park too. I've been places in the LT, I could never have gone in a big coach-built like the Superbrig.

t18con
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Camper, built not bought
Base Vehicle: Vw Caddy 2l, 110bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #9
old skool vdubs never die, they just get better with age. Love it. had considered one myself at a time, a karmann one I think, needing work.

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #10
Yer man, Gordon Lightfot, recorded Don Quixote in 1972.

Worth a listen on You Tube etc., and includes lyrics telling of tilting at windmills passing and who can this brave young horseman be?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2018  ·  #11
WOW looks great!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.