Irelandbikefest.com. Views wanted from knowledgeable Craicers.

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Irelandbikefest.com. Views wanted from knowledgeable Craicers.

· 
Posted: 26.05.2018  ·  #1
All right you knowledgeable lot!

This event seems to incorporate two Honda step-thru runs on the Saturday, (Killarney), Sunday 3rd June, (Ring of Kerry).

Any road, I contacted one of the organisers, Theresa Looney enquiring about Motorhome facilities.

She has confessed to being a Motorhome person and said if their venue didn't cater for Motorhomers she would change it.

Anybody on here any experience of this area? I don't want to pay sky-high bank holiday/ scene tax prices for a bit of kip.

Yours, in misery, ..............

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Irelandbikefest.com. Views wanted from knowledgeable Craicers.

· 
Posted: 27.05.2018  ·  #2
To be honest after, reading you post, I came away with more questions than answers. Are you referring to the bicycle or two stroke bike festival ?
Malcolm

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2018  ·  #3
Ooops! My bad, as the young people would say.

irelandbikefest.com seem to be motorbike based and are celebrating the 115th anniversary of Harley Davidson, so no two stroke there. This takes place in Killarney on Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd June

The aerial shot shows lots of Motorhomes parked up so I thought a member on here might have attended previous show.

Coincidentally there are two Honda 50 runs taking place, (all motorbikes welcome), on the Sat 2nd and 3rd June.

The Sat event is the Gap of Dunloe, Killarney and the Sun event is the Ring of Kerry.

Not sure if they are connected but will try to establish if there is any relationship.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2018  ·  #4
For previous bike fests, I'll say you'll be struggling to find room for a car around the town, let alone a camper van.

Most hotels and airbnb will be packed, it is a pretty big event. If you can't overnight inside the parking as per above then it will not be easy to find a spot around I'll say.

For those going, yes.. it's very much a cruiser/chopper event, few other custom stuff here and there but you better love them harleys :P

Maybe ring a few hotels and see if they'll take you in their parking lots?

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2018  ·  #5
and you will find a lot of them will arrive in the back of vans, not ridden down.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2018  ·  #6
We stay in the Flesk camp site every time we go to the bikefest. Its a 5 minute walk to the event centre. We used a camper on several occasions but most times we used tents as it's more of "a biker thing to do"... None of that trailer-queen business for our bikes OR luxurious motorhome carry on for us "Real" bikers... :lol: :lol:

The last few years we noticed it was less packed in the Flesk. not sure if that's got to do with regulations or not. I don't think they do reservations but you could give them a call to find out?

You'll see many motorhomes parked on street on the outskirts of town. Some folks find good on street parking closer to the event centre but as Rob said, it can get very busy. So arriving early and getting a good parking place is the key if you want to park close to the action. Over by Ross castle is a good spot for motorhomes but it's a good bit away from the event village.

If you plan to bring your bike on a trailer behind your camper, make sure you have a strong lock for it. I believe there were several bike trailers stolen last year.

It's not just a harley festival. You'll see all kinds of bikes there. But the majority will be chrome cruisers.
There are organised ride-outs where groups can go on guided spins around the ring of Kerry or on other select routes. The Black valley spin is a good one. You can also go for shorter demo spins on a Harley of your choice if you're in the market for a new bike and want to take a test ride.

The Honda 50 parade through town is usually good for a bit of banter. Not sure I'd enjoy doing the Ring of Kerry on a "Honda step-thru" though!

The music and atmosphere is what draws us back to the Bikefest every year. Great craic. One of the highlights for us is looking out for the wanna-be bikers wearing bandana's and leather chaps. The "Wild Hog" types. you can spot them a mile away... :lol:

I don't think I'll be going this year. Too many other things going on... :-( I might pop over for a day trip and catch the custom bike show on Sunday.

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2018  ·  #7
Many thanks for such an informative reply.

My ickle Honda 90 is on a carrier bolted to the rear of the Motorhome and your security advice is very appropriate.

I have a couple of bike chains which I can thread through and it will slow the swine up if nothing else.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.