My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

Re: CVRT info

· 
Posted: 18.05.2018  ·  #41
Quote by baguette

Well, went for the CVRT during the week, and failed :(
Front brakes were 82.8% efficient so passed by a large margin to spare, BUT the tester said the discs were worn and they must be replaced. There was a bit of a ridge along the outside, but not that big, so there was a bit of wear.
On the way home from Spain six weeks ago I had no problems coping with 6% down gradients on sections of motorway :-/

I suspect I suffered from the high mileage HGV thought process being applied to my MH which only averages less than 10,000 km per year.

Ah, that sucks! But well... Easy to sort that out!

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2018  ·  #42
Quote by baguette

Front brakes were 82.8% efficient so passed by a large margin to spare, BUT the tester said the discs were worn and they must be replaced. There was a bit of a ridge along the outside, but not that big, so there was a bit of wear.
On the way home from Spain six weeks ago I had no problems coping with 6% down gradients on sections of motorway :-/

I suspect I suffered from the high mileage HGV thought process being applied to my MH which only averages less than 10,000 km per year.

Don't only apply to High Mileage Colin, they knocked our rear brake discs this year with only 27000 miles, They said they were rusty, we hadn't used it in a while, they also knocked the windscreen which had a small crack only 6'' long from the left bottom corner.

pajo100
Subject:

Re CVRT

· 
Posted: 18.05.2018  ·  #43
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by baguette

Don't only apply to High Mileage Colin, they knocked our rear brake discs this year with only 27000 miles, They said they were rusty, we hadn't used it in a while, they also knocked the windscreen which had a small crack only 6'' long from the left bottom corner.

Yes and worse to come as new Euro wide guidelines to be issued by Brussels this year with more stringent checks particularly on emissions.
Punters to be fleeced as usual.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2018  ·  #44
Easiest job to do. But put new pads in at the same time. Shop around for some quality discs and pads.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2018  ·  #45
That’s just wrong. I swear to f%^k this country is getting completely bogged down. Red tape and cover your own arse is the only show in town. Making you spend money for nothing

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2018  ·  #46
The brake disc one has been around for about 2 years.
Instead of measuring the thickness of the brake disc, testers are opting to check the lip on the outside of the disc by using their fingers and examining the the surface for pitting.
The local lathe shop is flat out spinning brake disc.
It is a soft fail that that the rsa roadside inspection boys have been using for years.
Malcolm

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2018  ·  #47
Speaking of discs & pads,
I replaced discs and pads on MH and the 2 cars in the last year or so,
All replaced with mintex discs & pads,
I have noticed that the black dust is a lot more on the alloys than it was before i changed the discs & pads,

Has anybody noticed that or is it just me

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2018  ·  #48
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by baguette

The fail threshold is below 55% performance, a performance reading of over 82% should indicate all is ok, end of.

What reading did yours give, rust an all? Rust on discs is usually only superficial and after a few miles will get cleaned off, which is why I go to a CVRT centre about 20 miles away and not the one just down the road.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2018  ·  #49
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Easiest job to do. But put new pads in at the same time. Shop around for some quality discs and pads.

Mister Auto, Bosch or Ferodo two discs and four pads, less than €150

Got Bosch discs and pads all round for my car a few years ago and a DM flywheel and clutch. Really good prices and fast delivery.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2018  ·  #50
Quote by mad max

Speaking of discs & pads,
I replaced discs and pads on MH and the 2 cars in the last year or so,
All replaced with mintex discs & pads,
I have noticed that the black dust is a lot more on the alloys than it was before i changed the discs & pads,

Has anybody noticed that or is it just me

Had the same problem with Mintex pads on my x-trail. Changed back to genuine Nissan and no dust.

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2018  ·  #51
the rust failure i think refers to rust on the edge of the disc and also the other non pad area of the disc, the argument being the intergity of the steel is compromised.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2018  ·  #52
Quote by oldautotrailer

the rust failure i think refers to rust on the edge of the disc and also the other non pad area of the disc, the argument being the intergity of the steel is compromised.

I wonder?? If you sandblast the discs , paint and skim the working surfaces with a lathe they cant be knocked for rust and it is still the same metal.

seanmc
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rimor Europea NG6
Base Vehicle: 2004 Ford Transit 2.4 TDci
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2018  ·  #53
Like many in this thread, mine is due for the test shortly. I'm wondering, in general, are there some centres that are more understanding of motorhomes than others. I'm sort of thinking, if I go to one that does mainly HGV's, will they be a bit challenged when they see a motorhome coming in?
Dublin based so open to suggestions of a centre that's used to dealing with motorhomes.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2018  ·  #54
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by oldautotrailer

I wonder?? If you sandblast the discs , paint and skim the working surfaces with a lathe they cant be knocked for rust and it is still the same metal.

Surface rust is just that, rust on the surface. If the integrity of the good steel underneath is compromised I'm never getting on a ship again.
o.O

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2018  ·  #55
Two years ago a mate of mine running a hgv, passed his doe test on the last appointment of a the day. After returning home ,reloaded for the next morning, he left everything on the kitchen table. During the evening his wife tidy everything away and the next morning at 4.30 am he set off on his trip, but without his doe pass cert and disc.
Some hour later he was stopped at a rsa checkpoint, and explained as to why he hadn't a doe cert, etc. The rsa officer in charge said not to worry as they would test the vehicle on the spot. After about 30 minutes my mate was informed that he would need a tow truck to move him. There was cracks in his front brake discs.
After been towed back to the main dealer that prepared the truck for the test, the front disc were removed and examined, a small blemish was found on the surface of one disc. This was sent away for metal ultrasound testing which confirmed the integrity of the metal. However the rsa would not accept this testing and the truck could only be released onto the road after a new disc was fitted.
I am based in Laois about an hour south of Dublin which is very popular with rsa inspections.
The net result now in our area, is that if any brake disc looks less than newish, most mechanics remove them and send them out for a light skim in a lathe workshop.
Malcolm

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2018  ·  #56
Well lads... the day has come, tomorrow would be my "D" day. See how the good auld girl does with the test. I've done as much as I could with the obvious things but after going out this last weekend I started to feel like there's a few things I should have done.

But then again, knowing myself, I'll end up replacing every bolt on the van and get failed by the only thing I didn't check. So that's it, I prefer the lads to tell me exactly what I need to do and go from there (if any).

Wish me luck!!!!

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2018  ·  #57
Quote by Thorn123

Two years ago a mate of mine running a hgv, passed his doe test on the last appointment of a the day. After returning home ,reloaded for the next morning, he left everything on the kitchen table. During the evening his wife tidy everything away and the next morning at 4.30 am he set off on his trip, but without his doe pass cert and disc.
Some hour later he was stopped at a rsa checkpoint, and explained as to why he hadn't a doe cert, etc. The rsa officer in charge said not to worry as they would test the vehicle on the spot. After about 30 minutes my mate was informed that he would need a tow truck to move him. There was cracks in his front brake discs.
After been towed back to the main dealer that prepared the truck for the test, the front disc were removed and examined, a small blemish was found on the surface of one disc. This was sent away for metal ultrasound testing which confirmed the integrity of the metal. However the rsa would not accept this testing and the truck could only be released onto the road after a new disc was fitted.
I am based in Laois about an hour south of Dublin which is very popular with rsa inspections.
The net result now in our area, is that if any brake disc looks less than newish, most mechanics remove them and send them out for a light skim in a lathe workshop.
Malcolm

Nicolás Maduro Moros and The RSA, peas in a pod comes to mind.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2018  ·  #58
Well... it was a FAIL, no surprises there but actually not by much.

There's a bit of rust on the panel underneath the door, where there's now a hole sponsored by the CVRT technician that has to be fix.

And the other thing is lower ball joint with too much play, which is handy enough for me to replace.

So, I'll have to get that metal repaired, replace the ball joint and spend some more time and money on the test. Luckily it's not too bad to be honest. So we'll see how it goes...

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2018  ·  #59
Quote by seanmc

Like many in this thread, mine is due for the test shortly. I'm wondering, in general, are there some centres that are more understanding of motorhomes than others. I'm sort of thinking, if I go to one that does mainly HGV's, will they be a bit challenged when they see a motorhome coming in?
Dublin based so open to suggestions of a centre that's used to dealing with motorhomes.

im in Rush sean, and i go to kavanaghs just off the m1 in Duleek/Drogheda. Always found them good to deal with. Mine is due in July, but i think I will get it done next month as Im heading away in July.

seanmc
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2018  ·  #60
Booked in for tomorrow, here's hoping we're good to go for the weekend.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2018  ·  #61
Finally I can say that I've passed the test! Right on time for my holidays too :)

As I mentioned, I got failed on the first time due to a worn ball joint and some rust underneath the door. Got those sorted and the re-test was handy enough, took me about 20' and of course the re-test money.

Happy out anyways for another 12 months.

seanmc
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2018  ·  #62
Just like RTV I've now got some holes in the body. Failed on rust on the chassis too and I'll need an engineers report on the repair.
Can anyone point me in the direction of an engineer who signs off on chassis repairs?
There's an RSA Modifications report template to complete.

I got a fail on the lights too, he said I'd be ok with beam benders, I didn't notice that I only had one beam bender on, no idea where/when the other one went.
Like a few more of you, I went down on the service brake too.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2018  ·  #63
Quote by seanmc

Just like RTV I've now got some holes in the body. Failed on rust on the chassis too and I'll need an engineers report on the repair.
Can anyone point me in the direction of an engineer who signs off on chassis repairs?

There's an engineer advertising on donedealuk ,he's in the Cavan area maybe of help to you with the report for cvrt.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2018  ·  #64
D&M truck engineering based in Kilcullen co. Kildare.
They run a test center along with an engineering certification for vehicle repairs and modifications. While they may not do the work themselves but they do use use other local companies as sub contractors.
The thing with rust in a chassis is that the whole chassis needs to be checked and treated if necessary, otherwise you will be repairing a bit every year.
Malcolm

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2018  ·  #65
Try Kearns and Murtagh in Dundalk phone 042-9321245. They have a test center and they were able to certify my van after I converted it to motorhome. For the conversion test they charged €90 while some some engineers are charging €150.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2018  ·  #66
Quote by seanmc

I got a fail on the lights too, he said I'd be ok with beam benders, I didn't notice that I only had one beam bender on, no idea where/when the other one went.
Like a few more of you, I went down on the service brake too.

Oh crap, that's terrible!! But then again, it's one of those things that you definitely want to get sorted asap and definitely not a bad idea to go over the whole structure of the chassis to make sure you do it once and do it right.

Bit of a nightmare but at least you'll be well sorted at the end.

seanmc
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2018  ·  #67
Thanks for the suggestions, I've made a few phone calls and have a few more to make, but looks like I'm on the right track.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.