Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Fiat Ducato X290 Recall

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #41
As far as i know Jamie,
Galway truck centre on Headford rd are fiat commercial agents as of last year or so and may be worth a call, 091 751984,
If it was me Id go to Donagheys, a bit of a trek from Co Clare but well worth it in my opinion

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #42
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Does anyone know who can do the recall work in Co Clare or somewhere nearby?
TIA

Anywhere that is a Fiat Professional can do the work i.e. Clareview Limerick (don't know what they are like).

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2018  ·  #43
Quote by 2424

Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Does anyone know who can do the recall work in Co Clare or somewhere nearby?
TIA

Anywhere that is a Fiat Professional can do the work i.e. Clareview Limerick (don't know what they are like).

I spoke to them, they said no as they do not have the ability to deal with MHs.
Mind you if I spoke to someone else there they might say yes.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2018  ·  #44

I spoke to them, they said no as they do not have the ability to deal with MHs.
Mind you if I spoke to someone else there they might say yes.

Hhhmm interesting that they are listed as Fiat Professional and can't deal with Motorhomes (Fiat Semi- Professional?) - wonder how they get on with box vans, Ducato conversions etc.

Yaxley
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hobby Optima Premium T70GE
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2018  ·  #45
Clareview Motors cannot deal with motorhomes because of a height issue with their garage.
Two years ago they told me that they were planning to raise the roof......dont think anything happened since.
In the past I have had to go to Adams Garage in Tralee.
Ian

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2018  ·  #46
I was up at Donnellys last week and there were 5 Rapidos sitting in the carpark.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.03.2018  ·  #47
While I do not want to be the bearer of bad news my feelings are that anyone now looking for this recall will have to be planning an alternative Easter Holliday break.
Once your vehicle is deemed to require the recall you will be advised that it should no longer be used.
There are Motorhomes sitting at Donnelly Mallusk since Dec 2017 waiting for this recall work and it will be the case that those that make the most noise will get sorted the soonest.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.03.2018  ·  #48
Surely if Fiat are saying "The vehicle is so defective that you should not use it" they have a responsibility to provide an alternative suitable similar vehicle.

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2018  ·  #49
Totally agree with last comment

TM59
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2018  ·  #50
Had my vehicle inspected at Donnellys on the 19th December to be told it needed EGR etc replaced. Got a phone call today to tell me the parts had finally arrived, and booked it in next week to have the work carried out. I rang Fiat Professional Customer Service on numerous occasions and believe this helped.

With regards to Donnellys I believe they are doing their best in a very difficult situation created by Fiat. I have dealt with them for several years and cannot fault both their work and customer service.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2018  ·  #51
TM59,
Can you take a couple of before and after photos, and then pop them up here?
The reason is simple, I was told a while ago that the erg pipe is cracking on a weld, where a supporting bracket is joined to the pipe. This supporting bracket is now changed to a plastic clamp. When the erg pipe cracks badly, there was a risk that the engine would go into limp mode which would be bad on a motorway at 120 kph.
Thanks Malcolm.

lavender1
Subject:

Is anyone taking legal action over this

· 
Posted: 20.03.2018  ·  #52
Having been quoted 4/6 week waiting time for parts to come in and getting nowhere with Fiat in Italy etc. I am sure there must be case under Sales of Goods Act as van not being fit for purpose. I note one of other members threatened Fiat. Who were they threatening to sue - Fiat or their dealer?
I would of thought case would have to be directed at dealer and, as our is Brownhills, I would definitely have a fight on my hands! Any help much appreciated.

dave fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2018  ·  #53
found this video of both egr pipe recall and egr cooler recalls
check it out

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2018  ·  #54
Thanks for the video Dave,very informative ,looks like an awkward enough job to do.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #55
The thought of hot exhaust gases entering the engine compartment would not fill me with joy, I can understand the frustration of not being able to use a new van but there is an important safety aspect to this as well.
No doubt the scale of the issue is causing Fiat problems as well, there must be a dedicated line producing these as fast as they can to service all the affected vehicles.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2018  ·  #56
The issue is not the pollution of the cab by exhaust gases. When this erg pipe breaks, your engine goes into limp mode which means that you limp along at about 20 miles per hour. That's not nice on a busy motorway.
The root of the problem is a welded steel retaining clip is breaking on the welded joint. I have heard of some courier owners cutting of this clip off and securing the egr pipe with plastic clamps as a short term effort, until fiat sort out this mess.
Malcolm

lavender1
Subject:

Banging my head against a brick wall

· 
Posted: 29.03.2018  ·  #57
After receiving recall notice on 7th December, my van went in for inspection. Said OK?
Then in March called me back to have another look? My van is a Swift Rio purchased new 22nd July 2017. This time they told me the EGR pipe did need replacing plus heat exchange pipe was no fractured. I am now in a queue of 20 and it does not matter whom I contact, threaten or cajole I get nowhere. I have a Case No. with Fiat in Italy, now a Case Manager, a useless woman called Dawn Magnani who distorts the truth the same as everyone. I have told them my partner has a tumour and was being operated on the 29th March (today) and that we needed van after op whilst we wait the 2 weeks for results but they say "I am so sorry" but really are not the slightest bit interested.
I have threatened everyone involved with legal action and the media but they don't seem bothered about that either. I gave now took van away from where it has sat in the queue of 20 and Dawn Magnani said I must not drive it. I asked her if Fiat was going tomost for a low loader. Got an emphatic NO and when I said "the van is under warranty and the law says I should not be put to any expense or inconvenience" she said "I'm sorry you feel like there". Quite unbelievabl. My last attempt has been an email yo the MD of Fiat, Arnaud LeClerc, 2 days ago and my email has not even been acknowledged. We are so distraught over all this and can well do without the stress that we are considering px for a new caravan (it won't have a Fiat engine) and losing £18000.
I see that member ntg threatened Fiat and got his parts. How did he manage that - I would like to know?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2018  ·  #58
Your trying to fight a major European car manufacturer and they just don't care , like the VW emmisions scandal they have bought back a huge amount of car's in the US, in Europe they gave you a re tune and a bit of plastic and told you to go away and don't bother them , try the legal route and you will be bulldozed into the ground they have more money than you and are happy to us it

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2018  ·  #59
Quote by eirebus

Your trying to fight a major European car manufacturer and they just don't care , like the VW emmisions scandal they have bought back a huge amount of car's in the US, in Europe they gave you a re tune and a bit of plastic and told you to go away and don't bother them , try the legal route and you will be bulldozed into the ground they have more money than you and are happy to us it

Unfortunately this attitude is what lets these manufacturers think that they can do as they like. I do not agree with this as when you purchase a new vehicle with warranty that is a contract which is binding between two parties.
I do not intend to make public all the details regarding my own situation but have offered the pm service to any cracker who I can assist.
It worked for me with Fiat and has worked in the past with Ford however I am not saying that everyone is guaranteed the same outcome.
Personal conviction is the best source of success.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2018  ·  #60
I work in the truck bodybuilding game. We are a body type approved company which is regulated by the nasi in the Republic. I mention this because should customers complain in numbers to the nasi with legitimate complaints, our license is revoked indefinitely.
Motorhomes are a body type approved vehicle, so a few merited complaints to the above will bring alot of pressure to fiat Europe.
Malcolm

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2018  ·  #61
It's not a body type problem it's a fiat engine problem

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

EGR pipe replacement

· 
Posted: 04.04.2018  ·  #62
Today I had the EGR pipe replaced, I asked to see exactly what was replaced and was shown only the pipe. I asked about the cooler and explained that I understood about the weld on the bracket cracking in some cases and expected to see the part replaced. The mechanic explained that he removed the bolt retaining the bracket as it put stress on the weld and now should be ok.

What happens if it breaks after the warranty is up?

richhill
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Weinsberg
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

all for nothing

· 
Posted: 05.04.2018  ·  #63
After getting the run around for over two months, when my van was "in", I got a phonecall to say van was ready to collect as no work needed to be carried out. Was told recall was just to check to see if part needed replaced, as some didn't need replacing. Really don't have a lot of confidence for the future use and warranty.

SuperbrigKid
Craic'er
My Motorhome: C Line 5.0 QB L
Base Vehicle: Carthago 180bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2018  ·  #64
Greetings & salutations!
Regarding this topic I never got any notification from Fiat or motorhome dealer of the potential problem but thanks to this forum it alerted me to the issue.
Having read horror stories re delays on parts I brought our van to be asssessed to Michael Barrable Fiat dealer Airside, Swords 2 weeks ago. It was in the catchment of chassis' numbers for recall and the necessary parts were ordered. The parts staff reckoned it would take 6/7 days as the Easter period would possibly delay shipment. I was a little sceptical & dubious about this timeframe however Im happy to say 8 days later the part(s) arrived and were fitted 2 days later. I dealt with Andrew at MB Motors and have to say the issue was dealt with without a problem .... I would recommend them without hesitation.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2018  ·  #65
Taking mine to Plymouth, Devon today who knows whether I’ll be driving it back on Friday or flying back and picking it up later.

SuperbrigKid
Craic'er
My Motorhome: C Line 5.0 QB L
Base Vehicle: Carthago 180bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2018  ·  #66
Good Morning
Well, we considered taking ours to UK as we intend going for Sawiko / AL Ko chassis mounted bike rack soon but were reluctant to to drive any distance as the advise seems to be 'not to drive it' ! Having read the posts here and elsewhere I wasnt convinced that UK Fiat dealerships were anymore efficient in obtaining the necesssary parts & addressing the issue. I spoke with the UK motorhome dealer from whom we purchased in March 2017 and his only recommendation/ solution was to take it to a Fiat dealer !
There appears to be 2 ways to tackle the issue from Fiat - (1) Assess if the vehicle is in the recall batch and if the crack has not begun then replace the pipe and make minor adjustments ( fit clips) and remove the bolt that has the potential to contribute to the cracking or (2) if vehicle is in the recall batch and the cracking has started / worse the weld has broken the pipe & ERG assembley needs replacing as shown in youtube video in earlier posts here - a much bigger & more time consuming job

Good luck with your trip to Devon & hope you achieve a satisfactory result

Brian

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

16 of April returned on 18 May

· 
Posted: 21.05.2018  ·  #67
Well that’s something I wouldn’t want to do again. I spoke to the fiat dealer in Plymouth before I took my MH in I was told that if the part(S) needed changing it might mean a wait of 3 weeks for the parts.
Sure enough parts were required and I was told it would definitely be done in 2-3 weeks. I planned accordingly and gave them 4 to allow for delays.
The dealership were absolutely hopeless rarely answering their phone, not responding to emails until I got an email saying the MH wouldn’t be ready in time, which was annoying as I had booked a flight from Ireland and the ferry back. So after being lied to, mucked about and ignored I decided to contact the dealership head office and explained that I had kept very detailed records of emails and phone calls which demonstrated their mistruffs I had been told and I would share them on social media if they didn’t get my MH back on time with all the replacement parts fitted. Strangely the missing parts from Fiat materialised and I got the MH back on time.

I know dealers are poorly paid for warranty work and I suspect I was going to the back of the Queue every time a more profitable job came in.

It might just be me but the MH does appear to be performing better now, apart from the sat nav, another issue.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.