just_manu
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Donegal to Kerry via the Midlands

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #1
Ok, meant to do this during our week away but between one thing and another didn’t get to it so here goes..

We (Herself, and the kids - girl 9 and boy 7) headed off from Donegal on Saturday later than expected at around 3pm with no real plan about where to go or what route to take. We decided that we would roughly head down the midlands using the parking app as our bible to the south coast with the plan of arriving in Kerry for a family communion the following Saturday, the thinking being that we have been down the west coast a few times over the years and that this would be a good opportunity to see what the midlands has to offer.

Our first stop would be the waterways Ireland marina in Ballinamore Co. Leitrim (on the app). Nice little stopover with fresh water, toilets, Elsan & showers (using the waterways card) and nice and close to the town. Parked up and went for a wander and some food. Couldn’t but notice the amount of businesses that are still closed since the recession. Has a feel of a town the is still struggling to get back on its feet and hopefully does soon. Had beautiful weather and sat on the banks of the river with a glass of wine and chatted to some of the boat cruising folk who for some reason seem to all be from Co. Armagh and all had campers in their earlier days before moving to cruising the Shannon and Erne waterways now! (Perhaps you should copyright the motorboatcraic.com domain now Ally!!😀)

Next morning (Sunday) we headed off in lovely sunshine and decided to head for Birr, Co. Offaly and visit Birr Castle.
Beautiful place, and enjoyed some time there but, of course with the good weather and it being a bank holiday weekend it was jammed and very hot so kids got a bit edgy as did I very soon after! We decided to just head to a relatively close campsite so headed to Steamstown campsite and picked up a few barbecue bits along the way. Campsite was fine but not a lot going on around it. Thought it was a bit pricey for what it was (€30 for the night with EHU - review sent in via app) We were happy enough as weather was glorious so a few beers, burgers etc and all was good.

Headed off Monday for Kilkenny and spotted the Castlecomer discovery park so decided to give it a shot. Again, beautiful weather so suncream on and off we go. It’s a really good adventure park with loads for the kids to do such as Canoeing (3 to a boat), paddle boats, Zip line (not a chance of me or the kids going on that!), Tree Top obstacle course etc.. kids really enjoyed it. Free in but pay for each activity. Again, very busy but enjoyable. Bring a packed lunch etc, loads of great spots to have a picnic. When finished there stayed on my cousins farm just outside Kilkenny city. Kids got to go collecting organic free range eggs in the morning so loved that.

On Tuesday, we were not sure what direction to head in so again consulted the app and decided to go to the Nore Valley Park campsite for a night which was about 20 mins south of Kilkenny (again, on the parking app). Really great campsite, with loads of farm related activities for the kids such as bottle feeding lambs, loads of animals to see including ostriches and deer, tractor train, hay barn, indoor maze, slime factory. Kids really loved it and owner asked where we heard of them and we told him Motorhomecraic and that the site is on the app. He didn’t know about it so now does.

Wednesday morning, as the weather turned we decided we would head for the holiday town of Tramore Co. Waterford and take the kids to Splashwold. Usual sort of thing, water slides, wave pool etc. After an hour or two there we decided to head to Middleton to the Aire (again on the app) and Overnight there. Arrived at about 5:30pm and car park was quite full. There are signs up for Motorhomes etc but there is no real designation on where to park as its just a big car park. Managed to get parked close to the bottle bank so that was fine. There seemed to be an influx of the ‘cousins’ in the car park, a couple of vans and one MH, but seemed to move on the next day.
We went off to explore Middleton and had a really nice meal in O’Donovans across from the Aire. They do a good early bird set menu and very good quality.
Next morning I was considering doing the Jameson experience as the Aire is right next to it. (I couldn’t help thinking that the entrance reminded me of the entrance to Wily Wonka’s chocolate factory! Full of wonder and intrigue! But I didn’t have a golden ticket this time so would just have to settle for a private tasting from the bottle stashed in the MH later that evening! I also wondered what the Jameson Umpa-Lumpas were like??? The mind boggles !)

Left Middleton this morning and picked out the Eagle point campsite in Ballylickey (near Bantry in Co. Cork -
Also on the app) and this is where we are this evening. It’s a Really big campsite and excellently kept. On the expensive side at €35 for the night but is in a beautiful location right by the sea. All the usual facilities. Seems to be all caravans as apposed to mobile homes which I haven’t seen before. 4 or 5 MH here this evening.

So on to Kerry to meet with family tomorrow evening then will be heading home Saturday and Sunday.
Have really enjoyed our trip down through the midlands/south coast.
I think that in comparison the West Coast / Wild Atlantic Way / Donegal its hard to beat but I’m bound to be just a little bit biased. Plenty of things to see and do.

Lessons learned: Maybe we would have a bit more planned out, especially if going over a bank holiday weekend with crowds etc. The motorhome parking app is still the best fiver a year we have ever spent and maybe I’ll invest in a second toilet cassette so that we don’t have to visit camp sites so regularly.
Oh, and maybe next time I’ll get to see the Jameson Umpa-Lumpas!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Donegal to Kerry via the Midlands

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #2
Please, please be very wary with the road from Glengarrif to Kenmare. It is the only road in Ireland that I have seen tunnels through the hills. I have done it with a car and caravan but will not do it in an overcab motorhome. The Cork side is crsp but the Healy Rea boys have cleaned ip the Kerry side.
Birr Castle is cracking along with Castlecomer discovery park both of which are reasonably local to me.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Malcolm

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #3
Nice write up Justin, thanks for sharing and glad you are all having a great time.
Ireland has some cracking places, things to see and places to go....
Agreed on the APP, makes our type of touring so easy.
Enjoy the rest of your stay.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #4
Tunnel information from Glengarrif to Kenmare.
I have traveled through these at least 15 times with a Hymer 524 swing no problem just stay in the middle of the road when in the tunnel, and take you're time.
The hight of the tunnel is 12'1" or 3.7 m

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #5
Quote by Thorn123

Please, please be very wary with the road from Glengarrif to Kenmare. It is the only road in Ireland that I have seen tunnels through the hills. I have done it with a car and caravan but will not do it in an overcab motorhome. The Cork side is crsp but the Healy Rea boys have cleaned ip the Kerry side.
Birr Castle is cracking along with Castlecomer discovery park both of which are reasonably local to me.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Malcolm

Thanks for the info Malcolm, I wasn’t aware of the tunnels at all! My MH is 3.5 mtrs high so may need to find another way.

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #6
Looks like we won’t be heading to Kenmarw from where we are so don’t think there are tunnels that way. We will head toward Ballingeary and round that way.
Gets me thinking though, could this be something that could be added to the motorhome parking app? ie tunnel heights, narrow roads that only small campers can get down etc?

Europa
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #7
Well done Justin, very interesting, I agree with Tom you will have no problem with the tunnel on the Kenmare road I have travelled it many times with camper. Enjoy Kerry and the Aire at Sneem.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #8
Quote by just_manu

Looks like we won’t be heading to Kenmare from where we are so don’t think there are tunnels that way. We will head toward Ballingeary and round that way.
Gets me thinking though, could this be something that could be added to the motorhome parking app? ie tunnel heights, narrow roads that only small campers can get down etc?

If you are heading in that direction, a visit to Cill Na Martra near Macroom, for the buffalo farm and the toy soldier factory
macroombuffalocheese.com
toysoldierfactory.ie 1 Kilnamartyra, Caherdaha, Macroom P12 FN79.

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #9
Quote by sprinter

Quote by just_manu

Looks like we won’t be heading to Kenmare from where we are so don’t think there are tunnels that way. We will head toward Ballingeary and round that way.

If you are heading in that direction, a visit to Cill Na Martra near Macroom, for the buffalo farm and the toy soldier factory
macroombuffalocheese.com
toysoldierfactory.ie 1 Kilnamartyra, Caherdaha, Macroom P12 FN79.

Thanks Martin. Might just do that! Have most of today before we have to meet the family so must make the most of it before then. 😀

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #10
killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2018  ·  #11
Great write up - thoroughly enjoyed it - looks like you've had a great week!

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2018  ·  #12
Quote by killiand

Great write up - thoroughly enjoyed it - looks like you've had a great week!

Had a great week, but back at work again. Has to be done, especially with a trip to France on 9th of June for 2 weeks!! Cant wait...

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2018  ·  #13
Now you're just rubbing it in 😊

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.