Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

Bank Draft security ?

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #1
HI all. IM selling my van privately to upgrade.
I've asked at bank about the safety of bank draft and they put me off. They said that they can take weeks to clear if the amounts are larger (like they would be with a MH deal) and the buyer could cancel the draft after handover leaving the seller pretty screwed!!
I'm going to ask for electronic transfer or cash.
I've sent electronic transfer a few years ago for a car and it was quick(ish) but cant remember exactly how quick.

So questions are:
1 are drafts a bad idea unless fully cleared (prob an obvious yes)?
2 how quick are bank transfers these days?

Thanks

Mayo1
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Bank Draft security ?

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #2
1. I think you have answered your own question and I would agree with you.
2. Don't know how quick but maybe your bank could answer that.
I know "Cash is King" but be careful. An ideal way to pass off dud notes I would think.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #3
If dealing with cash, I have read of people exchanging the cash by getting the buyer to pay directly into your account at your branch of the bank. This stops forgeries and also is safer from a robbery point of view. Perhaps a little inconvenient but a genuine buyer should understand your concerns.

Payment by electronic transfer can be a few hours, again a genuine buyer should understand the perceived risk. I think you used to be able to pay for a faster service, but surely your bank can explain how safe and how quickly this can be carried out. I often notice transactions on my account which do not show as fulfilled until the next day.

Some people even advise moving the money to another bank account as soon as it is shown as credited to yours.

Davy

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #4
I sold my previous van for cash and did the final handover of the money in the bank with the buyer ,no forgeries and no house break in if someone knows you have a lot of cash in your house , anyone who rang to see the van were all offering cash so cheques didn't come up

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #5
Electronic transfer.
Safe, quick, no hassle.

It’s indusyry standard for transfer of larger amounts in any transaction.

Shouldn’t be an issue with genuine buyers.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #6
I've done it every way... meeting at my bank and doing cash deposit on the spot, counting the cash the good old fashion way and electronic bank transfer. I felt the most resistance with the later one as not everyone will be comfy with the bank transfers...

You can use 3rd party apps such as paypal, currencyfair, etc which they assure that the buyer loads the funds to their system first, they clear it and then you know that once the transfer is done, it's done... can't bounce.

All depends on the amount of money and how dodgy the situation might be, but yeah.... if you're too concern about it and it's a big lump sum, you can go to the extreme of getting a solicitor involved? And much as when you get a house, he'll hold the key and paperwork until the funds are released to his account, then give the papers/keys to your man and transfer the money to you. Sounds like an overkill but then again, I'm thinking about my good aul van that's about 10k... still a lot of money, but manageable in cash.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Bank Draft security ?

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #7
I don't know what bank or what qualifications the person you were dealing with has .but a bank draft will be issued and the money is then blocked from the account and held by the bank, they are quarantining that the money is available by issuing the draft. and unless that person lodges the draft to their own account there is no way for them to withhold the money. A draft would be a joke otherwise.
An example, my wife got a draft to pay for laser eye surgery some years ago and then on the day while on the train couldn't find it. I called to the bank to get a new one and was informed that it would take six weeks for the draft to be canceled in case it had been used and not lost. I then said to issue me with another and was told that then there would have to be enough money in that account to cover both drafts., so we were going to be out of pocket for twice the amount.in the end, I told them to F---off, and paid for the surgery on my credit card which they accepted once I could prove my credit limit was enough to cover it. The next morning we found it and went in the bank to show them it was not cashed but they still would not budge, when the money became available I went in and withdrew everything and closed the account.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #8
Quote by Hymer544

HI all. IM selling my van privately to upgrade.
I've asked at bank about the safety of bank draft and they put me off. They said that they can take weeks to clear if the amounts are larger (like they would be with a MH deal) and the buyer could cancel the draft after handover leaving the seller pretty screwed!!
I'm going to ask for electronic transfer or cash.
I've sent electronic transfer a few years ago for a car and it was quick(ish) but cant remember exactly how quick.

So questions are:
1 are drafts a bad idea unless fully cleared (prob an obvious yes)?
2 how quick are bank transfers these days?

Thanks

Bank Drafts are a bad idea..
See Here.. Garda warning: Criminals buying and selling cars privately in car parks with fake bank drafts

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #9
If the buyer gets a Bank Draft from a bank in which you have an account, lodgement to that account will be immediate, that's how I paid for my wagon.

With reference to the previous post, don't do a transaction in a carpark, meet at the bank, lodge the draft and confirm its authenticity before handing over keys.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #10
On Bank Drafts. When I sold my old Sprinter van I was given a Bank Draft, that's fine as the person that gave it to me was related he bought my van.

But when I lodged it into my Bank account I asked the Girl at the counter how long will that take to clear and when will it be safe to draw funds on it.. Imagine my surprise when she said to be sure it will take TEN days..!! I said Wtfeck, really that long!! yes she said. So it seems Banks differ.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #11
I would never again use a Bank Draft, I paid for our van with a Bank draft and told the Lady that I bought it from to phone me when it was cleared and I would collect it. I had my money parted, the Van was sitting on the side of the street in Fermoy for well over a week before it cleared, I actually transferred the insurance off the old one on to it while I was waiting in case anything happened to it and it was the longest week I ever put down.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #12
Quote by CHAUSSON

I would never again use a Bank Draft, I paid for our van with a Bank draft and told the Lady that I bought it from to phone me when it was cleared and I would collect it. I had my money parted, the Van was sitting on the side of the street in Fermoy for well over a week before it cleared, I actually transferred the insurance off the old one on to it while I was waiting in case anything happened to it and it was the longest week I ever put down.

Was it a draft from one bank being lodged in another?

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #13
Quote by <BM>

Quote by CHAUSSON

Was it a draft from one bank being lodged in another?

Yes, I don't know what Bank she lodged it in.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #14
A quick question.
Who trust a bank?
If you don't, why would you trust a bank draft?
Online banking is the way to go. If both customers are dealing with same bank it is a little easier and quicker.
If you contact the customer services of your bank by phone or local branch and highlight the possibility of a large transfer coming their way, they can monitor the transaction. After the funds leave the buyer's a/c, the money is held in a special inter bank fund for a day or 2 before they land into the sellers a/c.
It is when the money is in this inter bank a/c that your bank can give you hope of a secure payment.
To reassure a buyer, give them the log book at purchase, but they return the log book to you at collection of the mh . It is the seller responsible to change the ownership of the mh.
Just my thoughts,
Malcolm

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #15
I sold my last van privately and took a deposit in cash. I wanted the balance to be transferred electronically but the buyer arrived with cash. I didn't relax until it was counted and paid into the bank. Electronic transfer is the way to go... transfer an initial amount, confirm it has arrived and transfer the rest.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #16
There are daily limits to online banking transfers. In my case, it would have taken transfers over 3 days on Banking365 with BOI if the payee details were set up by SMS verification or 2 days if the payee was set up by post but f**k knows how may days I'd have been waiting for the verification code by post, I drove my camper home about an hour after handing over a draft issued by BOI and lodged in BOI.

Similarly, it would have taken transfers over 3 days to have made payment through AIB.

Dominic
My Motorhome: P.L.A. Plasy P70
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #17
I just bought a MH in Germany. I did a bank transfer to the dealer for circa €30,000 and it took 3 days with no issues. You can pay €25 to have the transfer completed within 24hrs. The transaction is traceable, so my recommendation in order to give some comfort to the buyer is to write on the deposit receipt that "ownership of MH XXXXX transfers" on receipt of the balance to your account number.

Best of luck.

Dominic

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #18
Further to my earlier post , I posted the reg cert when I left the bank for name change and the new owner had clocked up a parking fine within 12 hours after purchase which I had to get sorted ( didn't have to pay )

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #19
Check 3 days and it’s cleared if u can wait 3days and the seller can wait 3 days no probs make a deal with eather the keys or the log book when the check clears deal done

TippOff
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2018  ·  #20
Just bought our van privately. A lot of discussion re payment method / possession. Final solution: Seller drove van to our town; went to our local bank counter with hubby who purchased a Bank Draft; handed it to seller in presence of bank teller; drove seller to his bank branch up the town; he lodged draft and handed hubby the keys who then drove him to the bus. Job done!

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2018  ·  #21
anything I've bought has been cash... It's a great way to feel extremely vulnerable until it's handed over 😁

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.