AES fridge problem

Daffysparks

Subject:

AES fridge problem

· 
Posted: 06.05.2018  ·  #1
Dometic AES RM 6505 fridge freezer won’t automatically select 230 volts. Will start on gas or 12 volt if engine started. If I turn off gas or engine (12 volt) it will run on 230 volts, so element is fine, for sure. It appears that when it cuts out on thermostat, that it won’t restart on 230 volts, and if no gas or 12 volt available it will lock out. I’m pretty sure it’s a problem with the control panel, but cannot find one on line. It’s not a huge issue as I mainly wild camp, but it’s handy to cool it on 230 volts before a trip, as it cools much quicker. Any help would be appreciated, or someone with a spare panel, better still.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: AES fridge problem

· 
Posted: 07.05.2018  ·  #2
I think you are not getting enough power to the fridge on EHU but where are you losing the power , possibly in a corroded connection or as you say in the control panel but I'm no expert

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2018  ·  #3
I've found that a lot of campsites, when busy, have an insufficient power supply to the site.
That results in a voltage drop and I've measured voltages as low as 185v. This is bad for sensitive electronics and the AES fridges will automatically change over to gas if a voltage below their threshold is detected.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2018  ·  #4
I am having a look at it this morning. Don’t want to get too involved as heading to continent at end of month and don’t want to create a new/bigger problem. Checked voltage at fridge socket and getting 235volts. Plug looks clean. Had a quick look at relay connections, although they are 12 volt. Plugged it in without gas on and away it went first time. Usually it tries gas first.
Flummoxed. Will leave it on and see does it click back in after stat opens and re-closes

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2018  ·  #5
Well I have had the ehu connected since 11 am. Fridge working fine. Have heard it clicking in and out. Haven’t a clue why it is suddenly working perfectly. Hardly anything to do with plugging it out and back in.
Could lack of use on 230 have caused this, as I never plug it in normally

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2018  ·  #6
You could have had the voltage drop at the plug and you cleaned it by unplugging it , disturbed some light corrosion ??? or made a relay move and clean

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2018  ·  #7
Maybe, but it looked good to be honest. I am going to leave it on for a few days in ehu only and see does it stay going. I presume there is no issue with leaving it on 230 volts for that long

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2018  ·  #8
In this weather you would be making the element work very hard on an empty fridge , just a thought maybe try it every few days

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2018  ·  #9
Or I could fill it with beer. Would that help

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2018  ·  #10
Your fridge would really appreciate that you are looking after it so well

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2018  ·  #11
Quote by Daffysparks

Maybe, but it looked good to be honest. I am going to leave it on for a few days in ehu only and see does it stay going. I presume there is no issue with leaving it on 230 volts for that long

Mine was on EHU for over three months recently, no issues.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2018  ·  #12
Well it worked all yesterday and last night. I had to move it today, forgot painter was starting the house. Didn’t fancy the motorhome being county cream when I got home. I’ll try it again when he’s done.
3 months is a long time alright. A few days shouldn’t be a bother so

lor
My Motorhome: A class
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #13
Quote by Daffysparks

Dometic AES RM 6505 fridge freezer won’t automatically select 230 volts. Will start on gas or 12 volt if engine started. If I turn off gas or engine (12 volt) it will run on 230 volts, so element is fine, for sure. It appears that when it cuts out on thermostat, that it won’t restart on 230 volts, and if no gas or 12 volt available it will lock out. I’m pretty sure it’s a problem with the control panel, but cannot find one on line. It’s not a huge issue as I mainly wild camp, but it’s handy to cool it on 230 volts before a trip, as it cools much quicker. Any help would be appreciated, or someone with a spare panel, better still.

Hi mine come back from work shop still not working on 230volt but worked fine on gas and 12volt , after reading your post I tried it again on gas then plugged in camper to mains and turned of gas now for some very strange reason it's worked all night on mains 😏 . I really haven't a clue what's going on with it , it is in possible to get a controll board Iv been told . But hopefully it stays working on mains

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #14
I’ll try mine again tomorrow and see will it work on 230 again. Here’s hoping

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #15
Back in our caravan days, we would take a seasonal pitch for the summer. It was nothing unusual for someone fridge to balls up especially on the 220 volt side.
These fridges in caravans/ mh/ campers work on the principle of heating the refrigerator gas which in turn cools the cabinet when the gas is condensing.
The 220 volt element is prone to breaking, or on some models the 220 volt is stepped down to 12 volts and the transformer goes.
Daffy, time to put your sparky hat on.
Malcolm

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #16
230 volt element, is 100% functional, as is the Seperate 12 volt element. As is the gas. The issue is, AES not recognizing 230 volts are available and remaining on gas.
I suspect a lack of use on 230 volts, causing less than 200volts reaching the control panel or simply the relay sticking due to lack of use as being the cause now. I assure you Thorn, the sparks hat is well and truly on

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #17
Ok daffy ,it's a shot in the dark here but bear with me.
Do you feel that you can wire the 220 volt element direct to power and eliminate the panel and etc. If so plug in the fridge but through a timer plug. 5 minutes power on ,5 minutes power off. Meanwhile get a six pack of your favourite beer and monitor your amp draw .
The next step would be to include the relay into the circuit but without the switch wire, a simple bypass .
With both of those successful, that would eliminate the element and the relay as problem but then that leaves the switch wire of the relay as the problem.
I don't want to say too much info here in case some fool wires themselves into trouble.
Malcolm

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #18
Malcolm I have gone down that road as far as I am willing at the moment. I’m heading away for 17 nights in two and a half weeks, and with the fridge having to be removed to get at control panel, and with fridge perfect on gas and 12 volt, I’m not taking a chance on anything f%^king up so close to going. I’ll leave it till I get back. And for sure don’t want to get too detailed on bypass as it could lead to a major f#%k up for someone

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #19
Update
Final look at this before the trip. Tried fridge on 230 this morning. No joy. Put it onto gas, perfect. Turned off gas no joy on 230. Started engine to engage 12 volt, perfect. Stop engine, wait the 15 minutes no switch over to 230, could hear it trying to ignite gas that was still turned off. Turn back on gas. Perfect. Enter diagnostic mode. Put it on 230 volt test, perfect. Thinks, this might be a work around, NO, after 4 minutes it returns to normal function. Got in at control panel, even though I said I wouldn’t, took cover off, all sealed in, in resin compound. No way to access anything except the spade connections. Gentle tap on relay heads, as that’s all that’s visible. Nothing doing.
So there it is... a power module wanted, if I’m arsed getting it working on 230 volts, and not easily available, if at all. Or a new fridge, expensive. Google here I come 😩

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #20
David, if you can get at the 22V element why not wire it direct through a switch to mains to get you out of trouble until after your trip. You know what you're doing. Anyone else reading this ignore all the above unless you're qualified.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #21
Cheers Liam. Have done that already, just as a failsafe to be honest as we never connected to EHU at all last year. I hope the trip is going well for you.

jaydog
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2020  ·  #22
Did you sort this problem, I have the exact thing going on with my fridge.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2020  ·  #23
Quote by jaydog

What is the make and model of your fridge, there's 2 different endings to this problem, depending on make and particularly model of your fridge

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2020  ·  #24
Quote by jaydog

Mine was the 6 series fridge. Just an on/off switch and a temperature selector. If yours is the same, it’s a terminal issue I’m afraid. The control boards are unavailable, I searched everywhere. I ended up replacing the entire fridge/ freezer. Expensive.

Stoney
Just doing it!
My Motorhome: LeVoyageur
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2020  ·  #25
David, sending you a PM. You should find it helpful.

jaydog
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2020  ·  #26
Quote by eirebus

Quote by jaydog

What is the make and model of your fridge, there's 2 different endings to this problem, depending on make and particularly model of your fridge

Mine is the AES 6505 model...

jaydog
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2020  ·  #27
Quote by Stoney

A solution dare I ask..?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #28
Quote by jaydog

Quote by Stoney

A solution dare I ask..?

Possibly.....I’ll try copy and paste to here for you,

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #29
Quote by Daffysparks

Hi David, There is a guy in Italy who manufactures replacement boards for your fridge. His name is Paolo and you can contact him through 'Whats App' on He prefers the Whats App method.

The cost for a replacement board from him is €150.00 + shipping which is about another €20 for courier.

I found this guy on the Italian motorhome forum (Camperonline) and apparently he has been doing this for years, with great success, as Electrolux stopped supplying these boards about 10 years ago.

Saves buying a new fridge!

This information is from Stoney. Hope he doesn’t mind me sharing it.

Thats super info for anyone with that model fridge....Well done Stoney :up:

jaydog
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #30
Quote by Daffysparks

Hi David, There is a guy in Italy who manufactures replacement boards for your fridge. His name is Paolo and you can contact him through 'Whats App' on removed by request t, He prefers the Whats App method.

The cost for a replacement board from him is €150.00 + shipping which is about another €20 for courier.

I found this guy on the Italian motorhome forum (Camperonline) and apparently he has been doing this for years, with great success, as Electrolux stopped supplying these boards about 10 years ago.

Many thanks for this... definitely worth a punt I think.. I’ll contact the guy and let you know how I get on 👍

Liked by: Ally, Chevy g20, eirebus, JettaJohn, ntg, panda, +deleted user

jaydog
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #31
Just WhatsApp’d this guy Paolo in Italy.. got an immediate response asking me the problem.. said he can build me a new board , will take 3-4 days. I’m going to go for it , think it’s worth it considering the alternative of a new fridge, will keep you updated of the outcome. Thanks for the help on here so far 👍

Liked by: Ally, CHAUSSON, Chevy g20, eirebus, JettaJohn, Mark&Wendy, ntg, panda, +deleted user

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #32
Great to hear, as up to this, anyone with a 6 series was having to get a replacement fridge, MHC scores again 👍👍

Liked by: Ally, Chevy g20, jaydog, JettaJohn, ntg, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

AES fridge problem

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #33
Quote by eirebus

Great to hear, as up to this, anyone with a 6 series was having to get a replacement fridge, MHC scores again 👍👍

But will the Carlsberg be cold enough. :-/

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #34
Quote by sprinter

But will the Carlsberg be cold enough. :-/

It will get drank cold or not 😍😍😍

Liked by: eirebus

jaydog
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2020  ·  #35
Quote by Daffysparks

Hi David, There is a guy in Italy who manufactures replacement boards for your fridge. His name is Paolo and you can contact him through 'Whats App' removed by admin t, He prefers the Whats App method.

Hi, Paolo is not happy his personal detAils have been shared on here. This is understandable. He wants to help people, so could I respectfully ask the comments with his details in to be removed, he can be contacted on the camperonline forum through a private message... many thanks he is a nice guy.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2020  ·  #36
That’s what I was afraid of. Sorry Paolo. Moderators please remove this information

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2020  ·  #37
Jay dog you can delete your posts. It’s up to others or a moderator to delete others

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2020  ·  #38
Details removed

Liked by: eirebus, +deleted user

jaydog
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2020  ·  #39
Quote by Daffysparks

Jay dog you can delete your posts. It’s up to others or a moderator to delete others

He’s happy for people to know about him, but did not want his number on an open forum... many thanks to you , I would never have found him otherwise.. reading though the pages on the Italian forum the man is somewhat a genius.! Thanks again

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, sprinter

Stoney
Just doing it!
My Motorhome: LeVoyageur
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2020  ·  #40
This is the very reason why I sent a 'Private Message' to Daffysparks. I did not give permission for my message to be copied to this thread and if I had been asked I would have said NO!
It took me a lot of time and effort to find this guy and I have no problem passing on his details to individuals who may need and deserve it but I never intended for it to go Public.
Jaydog, I'm glad you are getting something out of it.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.