Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Air suspension

· 
Posted: 09.05.2018  ·  #1
Looking to buy air suspension what price should I pay for second hand ones or should I just stay clear of them

bertie
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 640
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Re: Air suspension

· 
Posted: 09.05.2018  ·  #2
I had the 'bag' system in my last van with the independent inflation and found it handy on uneven sites because I could self level as required.

It was approx €450-500 according to previous owner. I would perhaps advise against second hand bags,not worth the potential hassle of damaged bags/airlines and compressor pumps for the sake of saving a few quid.

Just my 2 cents.

Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2018  ·  #3
Where should I look to buy new ones

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2018  ·  #4
From the outset I am by no means an expert on air suspensions.
There are a number of different types available and as to their technical names I wouldn’t even try to list them.
There is a fixed bag system, which you basically remove the rubber buffer from the chassis that is over the axel and spring clamps. Here you fit an airbag which is inflated with a tyre gauge.
The next step up is a system, similar to above, but has it's own air compressor and various trimings, like a digital display, variable load sensing valves, and so on. The more trimings the greater the price.
The final system is full air suspension. The steel springs are gone, replaced with trailing arms and air bags. This would allow for auto levelling and weight redistribution in most circumstances. Again the more bells and whistles the greater the prices.
At the end of the day, set your budget and price according .
I met a guy last year who fitted the first system that I outlined, and he spent less than €150 on parts for two fixed air bags on his back axel. His rear springs and shock absorbers were shot but the fixed air bags were significantly cheaper to remove the swaying from driving.
May I ask as to why you are thinking of an air suspension?
There are quite a few advertised on donedeal and adverts.
Malcolm

Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2018  ·  #5
The van is low at the back and we find when boarding the boat the draw bar is a problem for us I’ve met a guy who was explaining the pros of having this system There was a set on done deal that had been taken out of a van a little older than our 08 And he was looking for €250 for them So I wasn’t quite sure if they were a bargain or if they even fit as it looks as if the system for ours changed in 06 He did not have the compressor one but the one you set and leave

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #6
Air suspension is the way to go. It has taken over the truck side to the extent that now I regularly see trucks with front axel air suspension. It is becoming more mainstream market for disablity vehicle.
From your profile, you based in Offaly, so a trip to Bradshaws in either Tullamore or Portlaoise. Those guys should be able to new system and that would give your a secondhand value.
Happy hunting,
Malcolm

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #7
I was looking at some recently, there is an Italian Company Sospensioni Easytop that sell a kit for 320 which is two bags, lines and a gauge unit for inflation- no compressor.
https://www.sospensionieasytop.it/en/shop2.html
They aren't hard to fit if you aren't wiring in a compressor.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #8
Quote by Bounder

I was looking at some recently, there is an Italian Company Sospensioni Easytop that sells a kit for 320 which is two bags, lines and a gauge unit for inflation- no compressor.

This also may be a way to go, I have always fitted them to my estate cars because I carried heavy work equipment and towed a trials car on a trailer.
Monroe RV GasMagnum Shock Absorbers

Mefisto
My Motorhome: Rapido
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #9
Bear in mind that the addition of air bags would count as a modification to the suspension and the CVRT inspectors are entitled to request a Modifications Report , signed off by a "suitably qualified individual ". When I got air springs fitted to my Transit a few years ago, the installer provided the report along with a copy of his installers certificate from the air spring manufacturer. At the next CVRT, the garage did ask to see the paperwork.

berni109
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #10
Quote by Bounder

I was looking at some recently, there is an Italian Company Sospensioni Easytop that sell a kit for 320 which is two bags, lines and a gauge unit for inflation- no compressor.

I used these from this co on a PVC about 3 yrs ago still going strong.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #11
I would also assume it will effect your payload as you are adding additional weight.
Not sure how much more weight one of these systems would be but worth remembering.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #12
Some difference in prices, we have the VB Semi Air CK2 system, fitted for the previous owner by a company in Midleton and he paid €1495 in 2012. I have the receipt here in front of me, it works very well and it was a neat installation with all the bells and whistles

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2018  ·  #13
Quote by mark

I would also assume it will effect your payload as you are adding additional weight.
Not sure how much more weight one of these systems would be but worth remembering.

According to the spec sheet the two springs, gauge plate and hoses weigh 8.8kg in total.
Subtract the foam bumpstop type things from the weight and its probably less than 7kg all told.
If there was a compressor fitted it may be a little more.
From my research it improves the handling of the vehicle a lot at the same time.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #14
I have drive rite system on mine. Wouldn’t be without it. Fitted compressor and gauges myself to automate it. Based near airport in Dublin. You can buy entire kit for about €500.00. I had pipe work to suspension already in place from previous manual system

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #15
Quote by Bounder

Quote by mark

According to the spec sheet the two springs, gauge plate and hoses weigh 8.8kg in total.
Subtract the foam bumpstop type things from the weight and its probably less than 7kg all told.
If there was a compressor fitted it may be a little more.
From my research it improves the handling of the vehicle a lot at the same time.

That is much lighter than I thought it would be. Not worth worrying about.

Europa
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Air Assisted Suspensions

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #16
I fitted Air Bags to an Alko Chassis five years ago, they made a big difference to the ground clearance of the van, especially when boarding the boat. I got them from Marcle Leisure in the UK. Steve is a gentleman to deal with, very helpful. www.marcleleisure.co.uk 01531660797 There was no problem at the CVRT. I would'nt worry about the weight it is negligible.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #17
I fitted a pair

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.