My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Newcastle height barriers

· 
Posted: 05.03.2018  ·  #1
I received this email from my local councillor today,

“Good afternoon David,

Just by way of an update. The Barriers for Downs Road are currently out to tender, one tender response has been received and Council is awaiting two more. Once all three are in, company will be selected and barriers made up. They are bespoke Barriers and will take a wee bit of time to make. The Officer responsible envisages they will be in place May/early June at the latest.

Council Officers have recommended that the new location for the dedicated Motor Homes will be Donard Park. 13 spaces will be removed and 6 dedicated bays will be created. This work is again envisaged to take place end of May/ start of June at the latest.

I trust that this update is of assistance. If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact the office.”

I have replied and asked if I could meet with the council officer in order to have as much input to the parking arrangements as possible.

Davy

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Newcastle height barriers

· 
Posted: 05.03.2018  ·  #2
Good work Davy :up:

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2018  ·  #3
Well done Davy.
I just hope they allow you some input..

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2018  ·  #4
Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2018  ·  #5
Good man Davy, you're on the ball.

Mattmobile3
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Tribute T669 2015
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2018  ·  #6
Thanks for doing this!

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2018  ·  #7
Thanks for getting the update. Does this mean there will be only 6 motorhome parking places in the whole of Newcastle and if they are full then you can’t stop over for a few hours on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon? I’m not even thinking of an Aire, even just somewhere just to park to visit?

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #8
Would overnight be allowed in the new Donard places?

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #9
Assuming that the council officer meets me and wether they take onboard our advice, then the approach that I would be taking is,

1. Since they are depriving us of a legally held right to park in the Downs road and Glen river car parks, and spending a fair bit of money to achieve this, I expect that they will spend a reasonable sum of money on facilitating parking in Donard car park.
2. I will be expecting decent bays of 7m minimum by 3m. as a minimum.
3. I will be expecting that overnighting of 2 to 3 nights will be allowed. In other words an Aire as we know them in France.
4. I will be asking for fresh water and grey disposal, hopefully black as well, but will be happy to get a foot in the door and then push.
5. I am conscious that cars park all over the place in Donard car park, frequently in the coach bays. I will be asking how the dedicated bays will be policed, although after 5pm the car park empties, so vans should be able to occupy the proper spaces.
In the light of what I have stated in this paragraph, I expect that they will allow parking in ordinary car bays, including overnight if necessary, and that they must understand that vans visiting during the day will have to have the right to park in residential streets nearby to allow for all day visits or whilst waiting for access to Donard Park later in the day.

I will be away for 3 weeks from 16th so don’t expect to be able to update during that time. There is support from some of the local politicians and Laura Devin (councillor) and Colin McGrath (MLA) have been quite receptive and aware of the potential for the economy and tourism. I hope with consultation to achieve something.

I must also state that we are in this position because of perceived or actual misuse of the existing car parks by a minority of Motorhomes, so this is in my eyes a defensive move to ensure some provision, albeit not a sea front Aire. Based on that situation, I will not accept any criticism of what I am trying to do or how it pans out. My efforts are carried out with the blessing of motorhomecraic.

Davy

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #10
Quote by Davy

My efforts are carried out with the blessing of motorhomecraic.
Davy

Absolutely, I fully support what Davy is doing and put the backing of our 5000 members, over 6+ years of campaigning and the content of Motorhomecraic behind him. Davy is on the same page to what we require as Motorhomers as ourselves.

If anyone else would like that backing to approach your own councils etc, we are here to help.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #11
Quote by Davy

Assuming that the council officer meets me and wether they take onboard our advice, then the approach that I would be taking is,

1. Since they are depriving us of a legally held right to park in the Downs road and Glen river car parks, and spending a fair bit of money to achieve this, I expect that they will spend a reasonable sum of money on facilitating parking in Donard car park.
2. I will be expecting decent bays of 7m minimum by 3m. as a minimum.
3. I will be expecting that overnighting of 2 to 3 nights will be allowed. In other words an Aire as we know them in France.
4. I will be asking for fresh water and grey disposal, hopefully black as well, but will be happy to get a foot in the door and then push.
5. I am conscious that cars park all over the place in Donard car park, frequently in the coach bays. I will be asking how the dedicated bays will be policed, although after 5pm the car park empties, so vans should be able to occupy the proper spaces.
In the light of what I have stated in this paragraph, I expect that they will allow parking in ordinary car bays, including overnight if necessary, and that they must understand that vans visiting during the day will have to have the right to park in residential streets nearby to allow for all day visits or whilst waiting for access to Donard Park later in the day.

I will be away for 3 weeks from 16th so don’t expect to be able to update during that time. There is support from some of the local politicians and Laura Devin (councillor) and Colin McGrath (MLA) have been quite receptive and aware of the potential for the economy and tourism. I hope with consultation to achieve something.

I must also state that we are in this position because of perceived or actual misuse of the existing car parks by a minority of Motorhomes, so this is in my eyes a defensive move to ensure some provision, albeit not a sea front Aire. Based on that situation, I will not accept any criticism of what I am trying to do or how it pans out. My efforts are carried out with the blessing of motorhomecraic.

Davy

David I think that you are doing a sterling job and wish you every success,if the opportunity arises please try and include those of us that are around the 9m long.
Sea front parking is not an essential part of any Aires so those with that idea should take themselves elsewhere.
Good luck and keep up the good work 👍

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #12
Thanks for the encouraging comments, and yes I am aware of the larger vehicle sizes. I will do my best. This is the continuation of work that I started with assistance from Jack the Rev when he lived in this part of the world. However it was just before the councils merged and we put it on hold. The bolt from the blue ref height barriers got me going again.
I am certainly open to comments or ideas, and if any one has spare time and the motivation I am happy for them to join me on the ‘committee’. You don’t need to be in this council area. I have been putting time into the Ards and N. Down council area plan. You will remember the survey they had running at about Christmas. I am about to make contact with them again to see how the statistics panned out and to hopefully press for more provision in that council area, and if the results are good try and use them for other councils.

Davy

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #13
David, great job and not an easy one! Driving 7.3m van the one thing I always look for in a carpark is a car parking space with grass behind it. I have a rear overhang of almost 2m. So if I can reverse in my nose doesn't stick out anymore than a large car. A larger motorhome space with the same grass verge behind may fit a 9m van? Keep up the great work and sorry if I am stating the obvious.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #14
You have my full backing Davy & I live in the Newry Mourne & Down Council Area (just outside Newry) so let me know if I can be of any help. I am very new to Motorhoming (less than a year) so can not add much experience on Aires etc but will lend whatever help I can give.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #15
Thanks for the offer Gavster, you never know, you probably have more knowledge than you think. Motorhoming can be a fast learning curve!
Ideally if we can achieve some sort of positive outcome from the Newcastle scenario, then it could open the councils mind to considering other locations. I see no reason why we can’t have some sort of parking in towns like Newry, Warrenpoint, kilkeel, etc up through Downpatrick, Strangford, killinchy and other locations of interest. Bear in mind some of these only need a few dedicated parking bays. Not every location would need services in a small council area. I am hoping Ards and Bangor would adopt a similar outlook. Local knowledge then becomes useful.
Mark&Wendy, even in my 7m van I am always conscious of the need to plan parking. Like most, the option of overhang on to grass is useful. One of my concerns about Donard is that it can become very crowded, thus making manoeuvres challenging. Part of my planning is always to have an escape route of least resistance, ie parking fo drive forward, choosing parking locations with space for rear end swing etc, so your thoughts are definitely in my mind.

Davy

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2018  ·  #16
I was thinking of visiting Castlewellan park and Newcastle tomorrow in the motorhome and don’t want to use any of the sea front car parks (never have as I have only used the upper Donard park for the Airshow). If there is no room in the Donard car park itself does anyone know of it is possible for a motorhome to access the grassed lower Donard overflow car park from below - low hanging trees etc? I know there is a risk of getting stuck too of course as others discovered after the Airshow last year as I recall!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2018  ·  #17
From what I have seen they only open the gate to the lower part when there is a real need for parking, such as the air show etc

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: 1995 swift royal 610
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2018  ·  #18
Confirmed in today's down recorder fancy height barriers going up at Glen river and downs road car park they are very kindly providing space for six motor homes in donard park with a limit of twelve hours parking not a lot when you consider the amount of motorhomes are there during the summer not much of a welcome for tourists the barriers will have a silhouette of the mourne mountains on them contract to be awarded after tonight's meeting

Mattmobile3
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Tribute T669 2015
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2018  ·  #19
Think we'll be avoiding spending our hard-earned cash in Newcastle then. So very short-sighted. These people just do not get it, do they?

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2018  ·  #20
In the same time scale that N Down & Ards have taken advice from us as part of their district redevelopment plan, published the plan, run a Motorhome usage survey that many of you took part in, and now are seeking feedback on 9 potential stopping places,

I have approached the local Sinn Fein councillors office 3 times for a meeting without reply in the Newry, Mourne and Down council who cover Newcastle. I have dropped that route and approached the SDLP before Christmas who have responded to all my contacts. They have endeavoured to get the council to make contact with me. Still waiting. I had intended to contact them next week again since it will be 2 weeks since their last request to the relevant council officer. I shall now ask the local MLA and councillor who have been trying to facilitate some form of consultation for a more formal meeting to press the case and try and demonstrate the backwardness of the council. Time is now pressing, but I do not think it will be an easy or straightforward progress to acquire proper provision.

Interestingly this week in the spectator newspaper there is an article fronted by an Ulster unionist councillor complaining about Motorhomes parking in North Down (Ddee, groomsport, cloughy etc) in the very places the council is proposing parking. It is the usual tirade about free parking, loss of income for caravan sites and overstaying vans. I don’t know wether he is friends with a site owner or just not up to speed with his councils redevelopment plan.

I am hoping to visit most of the proposed sites next week to try and give the council decent feed back, so let me hear your views ( in detail that I can use) on the likely places.

I am just back from 3 weeks in France and it is depressing to be faced with the age old problem. There definitely seems to be a need for a proper lobby group to challenge all of the negative publicity. Individuals can only push for facilities in a small way.

Davy

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #21
Nothing new here but at least they are saying they want to work with Motorhomes and welcome them and want to offer free car parking and need to accommodate them if they displace them. 🙄 The 6 bays and 12 hour limit are still very restrictive though of course.

http://www.thedownrecorder.co…._car_parks

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2018  ·  #22
I had a very useful meeting with a council official who is responsible for car parks within Newry & Down, and hope to follow up with a meeting at Donard Park with my van to highlight the problems there. I also have a meeting with an MLA and a councillor next week to highlight our needs and the councils lack of understanding of the benefits of provision.

Despite the people whom I have met being broadly sympathetic and supportive, I fear Newcastle will be an uphill struggle. Time will tell.

Davy

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2018  ·  #23
Thanks for the update Davy, let me know if I can be of any help in the Newry area in particular. They are missing a trick with the amount of Motorhomes I see cruising by on the bypass on their way somewhere else.. I tried to park in Newry on Tuesday to try out the new greenway but the low barrier stops cars getting near it to park & I couldn’t get parked anywhere else near it so had to abandon the idea. No chance of stopping in a motorhome near it.

Going to have to try from the Victoria lock side (road to Carlingford) in the car another day as the height barriers stop anything bigger getting in.

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: self build from library bus
Base Vehicle: iveco 59 e 12 2.8 turbo iris bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.07.2018  ·  #24
Newcastle has always been hard to get a parking space never mind one for vans,how much revenue is lost by chasing folk away esp those that may have came here from over the water.
Each car park could easy hold 5/10 vans with no prob if council could get there act together.
24 hrs would be a better time band for those who have had a bev or two and dont wish to drive.

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2018  ·  #25
Does anyone know if the restriction barriers are up yet,two weeks back i got into donard back car park no prob gates open as front was full.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2018  ·  #26
Donard Park car park? There won’t be any barriers going there anyway, just the car parks on the sea front. That is where the proposed Aire is supposed to go.

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.10.2018  ·  #27
Cannot understand the council thinking behind sticking up barriers,surley say 4/5 bays in every park would bring folk in spending money and would be more considerate for everyone.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.10.2018  ·  #28
Quote by roadrunner

Cannot understand the council thinking behind sticking up barriers,surley say 4/5 bays in every park would bring folk in spending money and would be more considerate for everyone.

It’s been the inconsiderate parking attitudes of some motorhome owners which has given fuel to the campaign to have them banned. The idea of providing some bays in every park, while a good one will not be considered by those in power especially with the voice of site owners ringing in their ears

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.10.2018  ·  #29
Your better heading somewhere else I don’t think Motorhomes will ever be welcome in Newcastle

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.10.2018  ·  #30
Well let’s do,that and stop moaning about it. If I’m not welcome then they don’t get mymhard earned cash. Simple.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.10.2018  ·  #31
Great answer Jack. I'm of that opinion as well, haven't been in Newcastle since this first came up. It's so short sighted of the wannabee councillors, but at the same time, if the people they represent are not interested in our visits, sod them.

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: 1995 swift royal 610
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.10.2018  ·  #32
Not a good place to stay anyway with all the prisoners from meghaberry on their daytrips

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.01.2019  ·  #33
Just been today in car and no height barriers in the c/park at sleive donard ,one van there though.
Happy new year to all.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.01.2019  ·  #34
It was anticipated that work would start on the installation around the middle of December, so I would expect to see a start in the near future.

Davy

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #35
There were not supposed to be any barriers into the Donard car park I thought - just the sea front car parks?

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #36
Quote by gavster1

There were not supposed to be any barriers into the Donard car park I thought - just the sea front car parks?

Assume roadrunner means the car park near the slieve donard hotel at the top of the town. It was one of the places where barriers were under consideration

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #37
Yes thats the one but nothing started as yet,i hope they dont but as we all know people spending money are not wanted these days.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #38
We stayed at the far end the other night. One other van and one car, some guy came in for a look in his motor around 10am, and drove out again.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #39
Height Barriers are illegal !!

Public car parks are 'Public Places' and subject to Road Traffic laws. By definition members of the public have a right of access.
A public car park with restricted access denies certain members of the public access to and use of that space for the purpose for which it provided (out of public funds).
Access by certain vehicles may be restricted if such vehicles might cause damage within the space. Examples of such are weight restrictions where the weight of a vehicle may cause damage to the surface or height restrictions where the height of the vehicle may cause it to strike overhead objects.

Having regard to all the above, measures which otherwise impede access to vehicles which seek only to park within a designated parking area would seem to be illegal and without basis in law, such measures would also seem to be overtly discriminatory against a certain category of vehicle user, based on the vehicle type.

With particular reference to Newcastle, it would be interesting to see just what law underpins the council's action of restricting access to the carpark mentioned.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #40
I've just emailed the local MP, Chris Hazzard, southdownmp@gmail.com asking for clarification.
Not expecting an answer though!!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.