Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

Battery tray 1998 ducato

· 
Posted: 17.04.2018  ·  #1
Has anyone sourced a new battery tray for ducato 1998..or even better is it acceptable to repair or fit new insert to the existing tray. I can't find any online??

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Battery tray 1998 ducato

· 
Posted: 17.04.2018  ·  #2
Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2018  ·  #3
My welder repaired mine while doing some chassis repaIr work - seems to let the rain run into that area as it started to rust again fairly soon afterwards. It’s a 1998 Ducato also.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2018  ·  #4
I have a 95' Peugeot Boxer and I'm on the same boat... the water ingress to the engine bay is lethal. I tried sealant all around the black plastic trim and windshield but water still finds it's way around, to the point where one of the engine mounts actually collects water.

I have treated the tray with anti-rust to at least stop it but I'm very concern with the up coming CVRT. I have to take out the battery and see if it's as bad underneath or if it's just the side, which I could potentially cut and weld a new piece.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2018  ·  #5
well ill take battery out tonight and have a look to see if its fixable before I order...can get at it underneath though so hopefully wont have to try and unbolt rusty bolts to get the whole tray and supports out. Ill post the outcome in case anyone else needs to do surgery.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2018  ·  #6
Quote by Hymer544

well ill take battery out tonight and have a look to see if its fixable before I order...can get at it underneath though so hopefully wont have to try and unbolt rusty bolts to get the whole tray and supports out. Ill post the outcome in case anyone else needs to do surgery.

Soak every bolt and nut in WD40 or your favorite penetrating oil and let it sit for a few minutes, then come back with some more and start working on it. If you have an impact might help you too... even if you have a small battery powered one like me.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2018  ·  #7
The rot is caused by rain water falling in the battery and collecting hydrochloride acid and in turn causing rot to the metal.
Have it repaired, wax oiled and when finished add a plastic cover over the battery. Corrugated plastic like is used by sign makers is perfect. Did mine and been perfect since.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2018  ·  #8
Quote by JJF

The rot is caused by rain water falling in the battery and collecting hydrochloride acid and in turn causing rot to the metal.
Have it repaired, wax oiled and when finished add a plastic cover over the battery. Corrugated plastic like is used by sign makers is perfect. Did mine and been perfect since.

Yep, I did cover mine with plastic as well... been much better since. Water and electricity is never a good idea anyways :P

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2018  ·  #9
Quote by JJF

This should do the trick

Battery tray, ebay

Thanks jjf but I can't see how this would fit..I think the problem on mine is the supports under neath are rotten...the proper part is out of stock in all the suppliers I've found...

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2018  ·  #10
Quote by Hymer544

Quote by JJF

This should do the trick

Battery tray, ebay

Thanks jjf but I can't see how this would fit..I think the problem on mine is the supports under neath are rotten...the proper part is out of stock in all the suppliers I've found...

Will be dfficult to get a Peugeot/fiat one.
I fitted one of those although the supports in mine were solid, the tray had corrosion damage from the acid. I had to fit horizontal braces underneath and attach the tray to those.

It should be possible to have supports fabricated and added to carry this tray, and then have it well sealed and a battery cover added you should be good for the lifetime of the van.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.