12 volt TV with Freesat and Freeview

Subject:

12 volt TV with Freesat and Freeview

· 
Posted: 06.10.2011  ·  #1
Just spotted this link on another forum.

Looks like it could save a lot of boxes in vans which are tight for space.

I know it isn't ideal to have it all in one item but it suits some people.

http://versat.de/

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: 12 volt TV with Freesat and Freeview

· 
Posted: 06.10.2011  ·  #2
That's a lot in one TV, any decent reviews yet?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2011  ·  #3
Not availabe yet.

Davidod
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Itineo FB650
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X250
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.10.2011  ·  #4
I don't know about anyone else but I find that I can very rarely can a reasonable analogue signal in the 'van. I nearly always have to live with the non Irish channels on satellite.

Our TV is a Freesat TV and after the full changeover to digital next year I won't be able to get any Irish channels at all. I will have to find a 12V Saorview TV - not to mention the issues of Saorsat will bring.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.10.2011  ·  #5
What is saorview ?
Never heard of it.

Davidod
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Itineo FB650
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X250
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.10.2011  ·  #6
Saorview is the RTE digital system that is fully operational at the moment and will be the only terrestrial system when the analogue system is switched off early next year.

A UK Freesat TV will not receive the Saorview signal. You need a specific TV for it. There are many fully approved TVs out there but none that I know are good for 12V as yet. You can also get a set-top box for about €90 to convert an existing TV. There are about 10 Irish channels and most of the Irish radio channels on the listing. It has quite a good EPG (Electronic Program Guide).

The Saorsat system is the satellite based system designed to fill any blank areas where the terrestrial digital system can not be received.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2011  ·  #7
Anchorpoint motorhomes in birdhill are selling 12v saorview tvs with dvd player

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.10.2011  ·  #8
I see this one in now available. Much more info on their website now

newt
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2011  ·  #9
willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.12.2011  ·  #10
Need to really check that out as Television's marked "HD ready" do not usually have a MPEG-4 HD tuner. The ones with a HD tuner are marked "full HD"

RO 06
Craic'er
Subject:

12v tv

· 
Posted: 11.12.2011  ·  #11
Quote by Davidod

I don't know about anyone else but I find that I can very rarely can a reasonable analogue signal in the 'van. I nearly always have to live with the non Irish channels on satellite.

Our TV is a Freesat TV and after the full changeover to digital next year I won't be able to get any Irish channels at all. I will have to find a 12V Saorview TV - not to mention the issues of Saorsat will bring.

Powercity do a Walker 19" with dvd. It is for home use but has a 12v transformer on it so a bit of diy work on the cable and a new plug. It is €189.Works great in our motorhome.
Now to find a good aerial. Any recommendations.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2011  ·  #12
My last Van I had a Status 530/5 put on, it was pretty good! Nothing beats Satellite, but very expensive :(

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

satellite for motorhomes

· 
Posted: 11.12.2011  ·  #13
Globesat system is cheaper than Maxview for a manual system often easier to fit if your van suits, and Glomex automatic dome is less than £1100

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2011  ·  #14
I was looking at Glomex as we used that brand on the boats a few years back but I thought the dome had a smaller height than others but it turned out to be so similar we went for the Camos.

All the systems work very well. Bob has a great manual one which is a fast as our automatic one....LOL

4wheelin

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2012  ·  #15
Quote by newt

Currys have a 16" with DVD which is 12volt, see here

http://www.currys.ie/Product/D…9072/339.0

Newt

Bought one of these today and tried it out, v pleased with performance really low power consumption - just need to fit voltage regulator and fuse to keep things safe, your link to tele appears to be gone but if you try 'currys essentials tv' and have a wee browse around you should come across it, does'nt mention 12v but if you check in-store you will see that it is 12 compatible, not sure how 12v sensitive it is but will no doubt find out in due course O-)

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2012  ·  #16
I have just got one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/12v-Fr…79&sr=1-10 and the official spec is here http://www.celloelectronics.co…3/C19103FQ

I have put it into the van and I have to say so far it seems to be excellent, the picture quality is very good and the sound not too bad considering the size of the speakers, it took me some time to tune the satellite in, but that was my fault for not knowing how to use the dish 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 once I got the satellites it was easy peasy and it has all the usual channels, so now I don't need to get a satellite box or have to play the DVD through the radio head unit

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2012  ·  #17
Nice one John.

I have been looking for a TV to replace the drop down one in our van.
The spec link shows everything but dimensions. Do you have yours fitted overhead or stand alone?

I would be interested to know if it fits in the space.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2012  ·  #18
Overhead and it fits, it's roughly the exact width of the pod and same thickness as the diopus one it's replacing. It's a bit lighter as well

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2012  ·  #19
Thanks.

A bigger visible screen than the diopus one would be great. This seems to tick all the boxes. We already have the FTA box installed and all cables in place. Do you know if it is possible to only use it as a monitor or will it try to tune its own FTA tuner ? This might be a problem as I would be unsure how to bypass per current box.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2012  ·  #20
When I got the van there was no box in place, it had been removed by the previous owner, but there was the cable from the dish and a scart/phono lead all in the first overhead locker behind the passenger seat and thats why I started looking for an all in one as I didnt like the size of the Diopus and needed to get a fta box anyway. The plan is to get a sat cable across to the tv bracket along the same route of the scart lead and join the two sat cables and remove the scart lead.

So to answer your question, assuming that you have a similar set up to me, then you can use the tv as a monitor as you will select the phono type connection and you can tune in each part of the tv seperately (analog/dtv/cable/sat). I was using the built in dvd player at the weekend as I still couldn't figure out how to get the satellites (now I know :) )

The tv uses a headphone jack type spliter to give the phono connections (they are supplied), if you want I will take pictures and email them to you.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2012  ·  #21
I have all cables in place to the TV including the feed from our FTA box. All works well but screen is a little small.
Maybe it is a bit of overkill to get one of these as we will never use the FTA part or the freeview part.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2012  ·  #22
But should you need to then you will be able to. I also have the cables in place but want to replace the scart/phono with the satellite feed, I just need one of those nylon cable tracker things to be able to draw the cable over to the tv pod thing.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2012  ·  #23
Thanks John.
Would you mind sending me a PM with your number. I wouldn't mind clarifing a few points about this.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2012  ·  #24

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2012  ·  #25
perfect John....
Thanks

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2012  ·  #26
I am about to fit the old Diopus tv to the bedroom/fridge wall and use the iPod to play movies on it and will look into one of the scart freeview devices to tune in normal type channels. There is no point wasting a perfectly good tv.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2012  ·  #27
LOL.
We have considered something similar. That is a reason for a bigger screen at the front. I want to see if it is more suitable for viewing from bed. If not, it could mean adding one where you suggest. I am not keen on screwing things into places they don't normally go but the curtain would hide any marks made.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2012  ·  #28
Small screws which wont pierce the fridge side and a lot of "No More Nails". I have bought the bracket from Tesco which mounts it flat to the wall ( no tilt or swivle). There is a 12V power supply in the first cupboard above the bed which could provide power, but I will add an inline switch to turn the power off completly to the tv. I also want to look behind the fridge to see if there is a heavier 12v power supply to tap into as the other only supplies power to the lights ovcer the bed, but no matter where I will put an inline fuse in place just to be safe.

pogonogo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.06.2012  ·  #29
Lidl do a 21" freeview with a built in mpeg4 decoder which works perfect in southern ire. Very reasonably priced too. Its not 12 volt but will work of an inverter.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.