Is Stena Horizon as stable in rough seas?

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

Is Stena Horizon as stable in rough seas?

· 
Posted: 13.04.2018  ·  #1
we always do irish sea and then chunnel after a very rough crossing in 2010 on IF (it wasn't Oscar Wilde but an older boat which I cant remember name) and the wife refuses to go that route again. Im trying to convince her to take stena horizon to get the free irish sea crossing to use to go skiing at Christmas.

So does anyone have any experience of the stena horizon in a swell across to France and if so what was it like??

PS what are the cabins like compared to Oscar Wilde?

Thanks

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Is Stena Horizon as stable in rough seas?

· 
Posted: 13.04.2018  ·  #2
Stena ship is much smaller than IF we only use it because the dog's travel free , your wife could fly over and meet you in France , quick and cheap with no baggage

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2018  ·  #3
The year before last we travelled Cherbourg - Rosslare with Stena and there was a lot of 'movement'
No hot food could be served, there wasn't a bottle standing behind the bar, most of the stock in the tax-free shop ended up on the floor, a drinks vending machine and a table soccer table relocated themselves.

With the Irish Ferry price no so competitive for us it's a no-brainer to choose them

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2018  ·  #4
We have been on a few rough crossings from Ireland to France but still prefer it to the long drive down through England. If it’s rough we just stay in the bunk, it always seems better when not up and walking about. A couple of travel sickness tablets help. My theory is that it can get rough on any crossing so it doesn’t really matter

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2018  ·  #5
Quote by Hymer544

So does anyone have any experience of the stena horizon in a swell across to France and if so what was it like??

Only ever travelled on the Horizon during July and August and wouldn't fancy it in rough conditions. It's an inferior ship compared to the Rosslare - Fishguard route (and every other Ireland / UK route thinking about it).

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2018  ·  #6
We used it when it was the Celtic Horizon. Bit choppy coming home in February and our berth was towards the bow. Survived it OK!

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2018  ·  #7
A lot of people say if you can stay as close to the centre of gravity there is less chance of being sick. If you think of it logically, if you are at the bow or stern and the sea is rough you are going up and down further than the centre. The same applies port to starboard

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2018  ·  #8
In a word NO.
I have been keeping quiet on this as different people have different tolerances.
Now that most people seem to be in agreement as to its seaworthiness, I’ll add in my tuppence worth.
This boat (note, not ship) was built for flat seas not the crossing it is now on. Also was built with less displacement purposely to increase fuel efficiency. This was the main reason it was bought by the O ‘ Flaherty brothers for the France run.
A cheap ferry for haulers and fishermen to get their produce to France. Taking the public was a byproduct.
Stenna bought this “boat” to stop the cheap crossings and to eliminate competition. I wouldn’t have a problem on it but for people who use a ferry a couple of times a year, IMO i wouldn’t

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2018  ·  #9
Yes I believe it was a thrash the competition buy out too

scotgard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Maxi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2018  ·  #10
Stena Horizon, the Irish Ferries Epsilon and the recent addition to Brittany Ferries fleet the Connemara appear to me to be almost identical and may have been built in the same yard to almost identical specification. Having travelled on both the Horizon and the Epsillon I can confirm they have basic facilities with very little by way of luxury. More important though, I travelled on the Epsillon on the famous journey from Cherbourg during storm Imogen and can confirm that they are not pleasant boats to be on in stormy weather. Imogen was an exceptional storm and the Stena Horizon took shelter off Cornwall but if you are not a good traveller these are not the best boats to be making the crossing on.
Jim Mc

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2018  ·  #11
Spike Milligan once said, The best cure for sea sickness was to sit under a tree. you cant argue with that !

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.