from Dublin Port

Route

FISHER
Subject:

from Dublin Port

· 
Posted: 27.03.2018  ·  #1
Can anyone advise of a route from Dublin Port in a motorhome, heading towards Rosslare for return journey. We will be touring for two weeks. I would like to re-visit Lahinch as haven't been there since I was there with my parents in the 60's, I would also like to visit Kinsale as I have never been there.

Thank you.

Mary

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

Re: CHAUSSON

· 
Posted: 27.03.2018  ·  #2
Mary

Being a oft visitor the best advice I can give you is to decide how long you want to stay in the two places you mention and head in their general direction. Going on the motorways is by far the quickest but you miss what Ireland is all about. Dublin to Rosslare is about 100 miles going via the direct route. Don't try and do to much as a lot of first time visitors do missing most of the best bits flashing by, I know we did first time we visited covering about 1000 miles each week dashing from one site to another. As my wife does not like the idea of wild camping we do very little usually staying on a site for 2-3 days and taking our time to have a look at whatever local has to offer maybe driving for less that 1-2 hours per day
Does not suit every body the way we do it usually deciding in the morning or the night before where we want to go. Make one of your first stops the Irish Tourist board and grab a load of info leaflets.
In view of the time you have I would suggest that you stick to the West of Ireland and keep the mileage down so that you can enjoy it.
Oh and if you do meet any Craicers be prepared for a long and enjoyable evening.
David

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: from Dublin Port

· 
Posted: 27.03.2018  ·  #3
And if you bring some of your local alcohol you can bribe the locals lol

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

from Dublin Port

· 
Posted: 27.03.2018  ·  #4
Quote by FISHER

Can anyone advise of a route from Dublin Port in a motorhome, heading towards Rosslare for return journey. We will be touring for two weeks. I would like to re-visit Lahinch as haven't been there since I was there with my parents in the 60's, I would also like to visit Kinsale as I have never been there.

Thank you.

Mary

For your start and finish . Dublin port to Lahinch is about 3hrs direct and Kinsale to Rosslare is the same 3 hrs direct . with that in mind there are plenty of places to visit if you don't want to go direct to either Lahinch on your first day or Rosslare on your last.
Download the Motorhomeparking App . and then armed with that and a regular map pick out some places to visit to match your tast , then come back and get some recommendations on here .
you could go anywhere if you keep in mind that Ireland is not too big if you want to go direct to Rosslare .Belfast 4 hrs, Letterkenny 5/6 hrs . Dingle, Portmagee , Castletown Bearhaven , Baltimore are all about 5hrs from the ferry .
But by all means take it, s l o w and e a s y ,

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: from Dublin Port

· 
Posted: 28.03.2018  ·  #5
Over a 2 week period, moving 2 hours a day, you would easily cover alot of Ireland. Upon saying that and by the fact thst you're entering through Dublin and leaving by Rosslare, a plan of travelling in an anti clockwise direction makes the most sense. Head northwards around to west and so, on.
At the moment there are two main tourist trails, The wild Altanic Way and Ireland Ancient East in the Republic and Tourism Northern Ireland have a few of their own.
Since I am based in the south, here's a few tips for the south.
Discover ireland is the main tourist information website.
Office of public works, (opw) similar to the uk national trust, are responsible for historic attractions and have a loyalty discount card. After 4 to 5 attractions visits, the rest are free.
I mentioned the motorhome Ireland parking app in a different post.
Like all countries, there are some attractions that are over ran by sheer numbers of people but with a little research, you will find similar, less known spots which are equally impressive. Some places like the ring of Kerry, it may be easier to use a local bus tour company for a day trip than drive the rural roads.
In this tech driven age, we still use a Lonely Planet book as a planning reference for a trip, and can be picked up on amazon, ebay quite cheap.
Lastly, if you are coming over during school holidays, and are booking a couple of commercial campsites, made your booking sooner than later because they do get very busy.
After you have decided a rough plan, ask here and details or recommendations will be fleshed out.
Happy planning,
Malcolm

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.