Leisure battery losing power when driving

matttcb
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #1
Hi recently bought a 02 Mobilevetta 190 LD Euro yacht .
I noticed after I drive motor home leisure battery is wasted it is fully charged before I drive motorhome this is when fridge is turned on.
I have since driven with fridge off and my leisure battery is fully charged.
So come to the conclusion my fridge is draining leisure battery when I am driving if turned on.
So is my leisure battery at fault or the fridge
Don't want too purchase a new leisure battery if not needed
Thanks for your future replays
Regards Matt

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Leisure battery losing power when driving

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #2
Check the inline fuse in the supply from the vehicle battery, if this is blown it will cause the leisure battery to feed the fridge when the engine starts as the split relay will operate but the only battery connected will be the leisure battery.
If the fuse is ok check for a bad connection between the battery and the split relay.

If the split relay is part of an integrated circuit board check the supply to that from the engine battery.

In the above circumstances there will also be no charge going to the leisure battery

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #3
Quote by matttcb

Hi recently bought a 02 Mobilevetta 190 LD Euro yacht .
I noticed after I drive motor home leisure battery is wasted it is fully charged before I drive motorhome this is when fridge is turned on.
I have since driven with fridge off and my leisure battery is fully charged.
So come to the conclusion my fridge is draining leisure battery when I am driving if turned on.
So is my leisure battery at fault or the fridge
Don't want too purchase a new leisure battery if not needed
Thanks for your future replays
Regards Matt

I would suggest the fridge is wired wrong . Fridges don't normally run on leisure batteries , they kill them . you haven't said what type it is . so 3 way fridges operate on 220 volt when connected to EHU , on gas when parked up, and on 12volt only when the engine is running . on older models , all this is manually selected with one of two electrical switches usually red for 12 volt , green for 220 volt , then a gas regulator with a push button ignition spark ( newer ones have an automatic ignition that keeps sparking until the gas lights .
Newer models automatically select which ever power is available at any given time.
You should probably have a look at any manuals you have to check the correct operation , or can you ask the previous owner how did they use it.
If you put up details of what type of fridge it is ( with photos ) someone will be sure to come along to advise you .
if not take a trip down to Maynooth Motorhomes for them to look , they will be able to sort you out.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Leisure battery losing power when driving

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #4
I would recommend to plug in your hook up mains, 24 hrs before you leave home. Once your fridge is cooled, it take very little energy to keep it cold. To cool your fridge while driving take alot of power.
Both Bagette and Sprinter are right in what there are saying even though they have different points.
For bagette point about the charging relay, remove the earth cable from your leisure battery. Start the van and firstly check in the fridge works on 12 volt and secondly check the leisure battery charger and see if there is a charging light on it. If there is nothing it probably the relay or fuse. Replace the earth cable.
For sprinter point about the fridge been ran from the leisure batteries because a previous owner may have changed the wiring. Have you looked at the top of your roof, to see if solar panels had been fitted. Some folks run their fridge on 12 volt leisure because the solar panels keep everything charged.
These are just 2 simple checks but ultimately, I would recommend professional help to sort it out.
Malcolm

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.