sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Re: Advice for Councils installing an Aire or Aire De Service

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #1
I prepared an Email to send to all 36 Councillors and 5 TD in Co Wicklow. Cast your eye over it and add or subtract where you might think necessary.
Recommendations or Corrections please, I will hold off sending it until I see any of you have any input.

Firstly, will one of you please pass this on to Councillor Pat Doran as he seems not to have an Email address.

As a Motorhome owner and a member of a Forum ( Motorhomecraic.com. we currently have 28 million visitors and 5500, mainly Irish, registered members. ) interested in the promotion of all things to do with Motorhome holidaying, I would like to bring to your attention to the lack of facilities in Co. Wicklow
what is required to bring motorhome tourism to your locality is an " Aire ". This is a term used throughout Europe to describe an overnight parking place for Motorhomes ( not Caravans ) When we use the simple term "Aire" we generally mean an Aire Stationnement (parking area), which may or may not have a service bay. "Aire de Service" is a term which translates to Service Area, the bay where emptying and refilling are provided.
At this stage, so as not to confuse anyone what we are asking for your assistance with is "Motorhome Parking and Motorhome Service Area's" The very minimum "Motorhome Parking area " is, two white lines to park between ( a little wider than the normal car space ) for an overnight stop, with a grass / graveled or paved area to the rear to allow for rear axle overhang, initially with very little expenditure , this can be provided in any car park in Scenic areas , Towns, Villages , within walking distance of shops , supermarkets , Pubs , Restaurants , places of interest .
Preferably Free overnight or for a reasonable charge. If you consider, for example, Public car parks, Swimming pool, council offices. GAA, Soccer, Rugby Clubs, Supermarket, mostly empty at night and some at weekends.

If it would help Council officials and managers to understand , how little or no money, need be spent initially, to get the "Motorhome Tourism " going in your area , we would be prepared to organize three or four different types of Motorhome / Campervans to meet at the council offices before the next council meeting or at an arranged time, to demonstrate the space required and how self-sufficient they are with regard to toilet, washing and waste facilities.
Martin.
In other Jurisdictions, Schools offer their facilities during holiday times and weekends for a fee.
In places where full facilities " Motorhome Service Area's" are provided the entrance is by Token or credit card operated barriers.
We have our own guidelines, which we expect our members to adhere to and would generally recommend a 2/3 night stay in any one place. At all times local rules are obeyed or enforced.
The standard motorhome insurance policy, underwritten by Axa Ireland allows for overnight parking, as long as the policyholder take reasonable steps regarding their location.
All other types of leisure accommodation, caravan, tent, motor racing vehicle/horse transporters are not insured when overnighting at an unofficial stop.
By providing some targeted motorhome parking, the council can promote locations, not on the general tourism trails. An example for Co Wicklow provide some motorhome parking in Baltinglass or Stratford on Slaney, which would allow motorhomes to access Glendalough from the Hollywood side and this, in turn, would free traffic from the Rathdrum / Laragh side.

"2015 figures issued by the European Caravan Federation stated that there were approximately 1.7 million motorhomes registered in Europe with the highest levels of ownership in Germany, Italy, France, and the United Kingdom.

Cork County Councils View Point. http://ow.ly/CoLn30icMfx

If we accept that our membership consists of owners, there are 5000 plus motorhomes in Ireland ( north and south )

There is information attached.

A "Motorhome Parking Area" (pdf file).

GUIDE_TO_USING_A_MOTORHOME_AIRE_IN_IRELAND ( pdf )

Examples of Aires can be found here: http://www.motorcaravanningireland.org/

There is also a great facility in the North Of Ireland if you care to investigate it.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/ar…ng-forests

I would also like to bring to your attention some of the other groups interested in this topic.
Campaigners and Supporters who are on the same page with what we would like for Motorhome Parking in Ireland North & South.

Websites:
Motorhome Craic
Motorhome Parking Ireland
Motorcaravanning Ireland
Facebook Groups:
Motorhome Craic & Motorhome Parking Ireland
Motorhome Friendly Locations Ireland
Motorhome Locations Ireland
Clubs:
Phoenix Motorhome Club
App:
Motorhome Parking Ireland FB Group

Between them, they have over 35 Million visitors from all around the world. Motorhomecraic.com alone has 23 million and 5000, mainly Irish, registered members.

Obviously, as I am sending this all Councillors and TD in Co. Wicklow It will be of no help any of you, or to me to receive a standard thank you for your contact letter. I would rather you spend your time doing something for motorhome tourism in Wicklow and become a leader in this regard, " motorhome parking " and an example to other Counties to follow.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: For review and amendment

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #2
I have moved this in here until everyone has a chance to look at it and make recommended changes etc. It can then be moved back in its final form to the correct section.

Reason for this is to keep the council section free from the clutter of everyones (who wants to) replies and keep the section for constructive posts such as this.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

For review and amendment

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #3
Quote by the fat controller

I have moved this in here until everyone has a chance to look at it and make recommended changes etc. It can then be moved back in its final form to the correct section.

Reason for this is to keep the council section free from the clutter of everyones (who wants to) replies and keep the section for constructive posts such as this.

Thanks. :up:

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

Re: For review and amendment

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #4
Quote by sprinter

As a Motorhome owner and a member of a Forum ( Motorhomecraic.com ) interested in the promotion of all things to do with Motorhome holidaying

As they may not be familiar with Motorhomecraic.com or its significance, is it worthwhile quoting a metric or two i.e. number of members, users, hits (or that it reaches far beyond the shores of Ireland)?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

review and amendment

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #5
Quote by 2424

Quote by sprinter

As a Motorhome owner and a member of a Forum ( Motorhomecraic.com ) interested in the promotion of all things to do with Motorhome holidaying

As they may not be familiar with Motorhomecraic.com or its significance, is it worthwhile quoting a metric or two i.e. number of members, users, hits (or that it reaches far beyond the shores of Ireland)?

Pleas word the whole paragraph as you think it should read , it with the figures if you have them, then I can be paste and copy

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

Re: Re: Advice for Councils installing an Aire or Aire De Service

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #6
Martin, obviously no building going on in this weather. Brilliant letter and I agree with Allan that more stats are needed. I'll have a look but where do we get details like the number of motorhomes in Ireland or the number of motorhomes that visit Ireland each year. This might take a bit of time.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #7
I think that there should be mention about insurance regarding MH parking.
Ths standard motorhome insurance policy, underwritten by Axa Ireland allows for overnight parking, as long as the policy holder take reasonable steps regarding their location. All other types of leisure accommodation, caravan, tent, motor racing vehicle / horse transporters are not insured when overnighting at an unofficial stop.
Second point,
By providing some targeted motorhome parking, the council can promote locations, not on the general tourism trails. An example for Co. Wicklow, provide some motorhome parking in Baltinglass or Stratford on Slaney, which would allow motorhomes to access Glenalough from the Hollywood side and this in turn would free traffic from the Rathdrum / laragh side.

Martin, feel free to play around with the above.
Malcolm
Ps, I was reared in Wicklow.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #8
Made a few changes and added some stuff.

Firstly, will one of you please pass this on to Councillor Pat Doran as he seems not to have an Email address.

As a Motorhome owner and a member of a Forum ( Motorhomecraic.com ) interested in the promotion of all things to do with Motorhome holidaying, I would like to bring to your attention to the lack of facilities in Wicklow .

What is required to bring motorhome tourism to your locality is an Aire. This is a term used throughout Europe to describe an overnight parking place for Motorhomes ( not Caravans ) "Aire"s De Service". The very basic Aire is, two white lines to park between for an overnight stop , with a grass , graveled or paved area to the rear to allow for rear axle overhang ,initially with very little expenditure , this can be provided in any car park in Scenic areas , Towns, Villages , within walking distance of shops , supermarkets , Pubs , Restaurants , places of interest .
Preferably Free overnight or for a reasonable charge . If you consider for example , Public car parks , Swimming pool , council offices. GAA , Soccer , Rugby Clubs, Supermarket , mostly empty at night and some at weekends.
In other Jurisdictions , Schools offer their facilities during holiday times and weekends for a fee.
In Aires where full facilities are provided the entrance is by Token or credit card operated barriers.
At all times local rules are obeyed or enforced .

Therein information attached

A "Motorhome Parking Area" (pdf file) .

There is also a great facility in the North Of Ireland , if you care to investigate it.

I would also like to bring to your attention some of the other groups interested in this topic .

Campaigners and Supporters who are on the same page with what we would like for Motorhome Parking in Ireland North & South.

Websites:
Motorhome Craic
Motorcaravanning Ireland
Facebook Groups:

Clubs:
Phoenix Motorhome Club

App:

Between them they have over 35 Million visitors from all around the world. Motorhomecraic.com alone has 23 million and 5000, mainly Irish, registered members.

Please have a read here: forum/topic.php?t=16327

Obviously as I am sending this to all Councillors and TD in Co. Wicklow It will be of now help any of you, or to me to receive a standard thank you for your contact letter . I would rather you spend your time doing something for motorhome tourism in Wicklow.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #9
Martin this is what Cork said,

"2015 figures issued by the European Caravan Federation stated that there were approximately 1.7 million motorhomes registered in Europe with the highest levels of ownership in Germany, Italy, France and the United Kingdom.

These figures indicate that there is a significant market in overseas motorhome tourism as well as within the Irish domestic market. "

Found reference to 11k MH in Ireland 4 years ago but I think it was from ROI stats, so not including NI. That's the total we need. I'll keep looking.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2018  ·  #10
Are there any figures for revenues that an overnight MH stop can generate for a town / local business - could we run our own poll on MHC?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2018  ·  #11
The term "Aire de Service" is a term which gained traction of few years ago among some in NI. It translates to Service Area, the bay where emptying and refilling is provided. It probably came from the misuse of the French term Aire de Service which refers to a service bay as often found at supermarkets and garage forecourts.
Aire Stationnement refers to the parking areas.
When we use the simple term "Aire" we generally mean an Aire Stationnement (parking area), which may or may not have a service bay.
In the English language the term "Parking Area" most closely equates to the French term "Aire Stationnement"
"Aire de Sercice" really only means a "Services Bay" and should not be used when referencing Parking Areas.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2018  ·  #12
Quote by 2424

Are there any figures for revenues that an overnight MH stop can generate for a town / local business - could we run our own poll on MHC?

Like this one: forum/topic.php?t=4022

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Advice for Councils installing an Aire or Aire De Service

· 
Posted: 20.03.2018  ·  #13
Quote by Ally

Quote by 2424

The problem with using that Poll as I see it is only 84 people voted.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2018  ·  #14
Hi All, hope everyone had a good weekend , we were in Wex in the fixed home with our girls and half the dogs , great fun in the snow .
I did a bit of Editing this morning , so have a look at Post # 1 again see how are we going.

Ally , I have combined your # 8 post , trow your eye over it to see did I miss out anything .

Also if we take wicklow out of it and add Ireland , is there national organizations who might benefit from a bit of a reminder how badly their thinking on the subject has been so far ? .

I would suggest that someone from each of the County's send the finished Mail to everyone of their Councillors and TD,s
I went to the elected members on the Council and Dáil Éireann web site and copy /pasted their addresses I don't know if their is an easier way.
I have a couple of friends who may be able to point me in the direction of a one off shot that gets to all members of the Dáil and Seanad Éireann .

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2018  ·  #15
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Ally

Quote by 2424

The problem with using that Poll as I see it is only 84 people voted.

Tell me about it. It's hard getting some Motorhomers to help themselves.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2018  ·  #16
Quote by Thorn123

I think that there should be mention about insurance regarding MH parking.
Ths standard motorhome insurance policy, underwritten by Axa Ireland allows for overnight parking, as long as the policy holder take reasonable steps regarding their location. All other types of leisure accommodation, caravan, tent, motor racing vehicle / horse transporters are not insured when overnighting at an unofficial stop.
Second point,
By providing some targeted motorhome parking, the council can promote locations, not on the general tourism trails. An example for Co. Wicklow, provide some motorhome parking in Baltinglass or Stratford on Slaney, which would allow motorhomes to access Glenalough from the Hollywood side and this in turn would free traffic from the Rathdrum / laragh side.

Martin, feel free to play around with the above.
Malcolm
Ps, I was reared in Wicklow.

Malcolm . I have included your suggestions . do you know if Stuarts / Aviva and the other company's that the guys in the north use , have the same type of policy ?
I wouldn't want it to seen favoring one company.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2018  ·  #17
Quote by baguette

The term "Aire de Service" is a term which gained traction of few years ago among some in NI. It translates to Service Area, the bay where emptying and refilling is provided. It probably came from the misuse of the French term Aire de Service which refers to a service bay as often found at supermarkets and garage forecourts.
Aire Stationnement refers to the parking areas.
<snip>

I have said previously on here. We are not French and we should be calling them "Motorhome Parking and Motorhome Service Area's" or something similar.

Calling them Aires and Aire De Service is adding to confusion for new & old Motorhomers alike.

WIll also add this....again :)

The rules created in ROI and NI are created by ourselves, there is no legislation, no guidelines and we are just following those in Europe. We need a standard set and agreed upon.

Most of us agree on the rules in our file: Click HERE to download

But not everyone sees our guide and knows that we should not have tables out, take up more space than our footprint etc

Views?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2018  ·  #18
I think that the parking theme is in fact two separate issues with Irish owned motorhomers.
In Europe, a motorhome parks up for the night time and early on the following morning they move on to other activities. There is not a popular thing with some Irish owners.
From my observations and I am guilty of this on occasion, is to park up for weekend or a few days in the one spot and not move on.
A delicate balance would need to be found.
Malcolm

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #19
Quote by Thorn123

I think that the parking theme is in fact two separate issues with Irish owned motorhomers.
In Europe, a motorhome parks up for the night time and early on the following morning they move on to other activities. There is not a popular thing with some Irish owners.
From my observations and I am guilty of this on occasion, is to park up for weekend or a few days in the one spot and not move on.
A delicate balance would need to be found.
Malcolm

I agree, there is a huge difference, I have been known to quote "we are not in france" when asked why I was still talking outside at 9PM - Irish people do not behave like the French, fine if you want to do that in France, but don't expect us to do here what they do there.

In saying the above... we like to do what you have mentioned above, but they also do that n france, park on an Aire for a few days. What we have to be careful about is mixing up Parking and Camping. Whether you stay for 1 night or 3 days - you are either parked or camped depending on the area you are staying in, as I am sure you already know.

I think my point above was that quite a few here, see no difference and why should they? I re-iterate, there is no legislation - no guidelines and no advice from authorities, we police ourselves and MHC have been trying to help that over the last 6 + years but *I* think we need the legislation or a governing body - maybe that's already us.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #20
Not all french move on the next morning. Most Aires have a 72 hour maximum stay and many do stay stay for that duration.
Gruissan has a 30 night maximum stay and Narbonne Plage (run by the same council) has a 2 night max.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2018  ·  #21
Quote by mark

Not all french move on the next morning. Most Aires have a 72 hour maximum stay and many do stay stay for that duration.
Gruissan has a 30 night maximum stay and Narbonne Plage (run by the same council) has a 2 night max.

My thinking on this would be 2/3 nights . 2 nights would suite most people arrive Friday home Sunday and then for the old and bewildered add Sunday night , home Monday . which would cover B/Holidays.

While i am here I agree with Ally ,we should try putting our common language on this now .
Motorhome Parking . Motorhome Service area.
In case we end up with the situation like ( " who is going to feed the Gondolas " )

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

"Motorhome Parking and Motorhome Service Area's"

· 
Posted: 04.04.2018  ·  #22
I have done another bit of editing s, so if you please go back and have a look at post no 1 again. Last Chance.

Also by taking out Wicklow , and adding in Ireland , it will be suitable to send to the OPW, Coillte, Tourismireland, GAA, IRFU , FAI, and any other alphabets we can think of , if some of you have direct contact with anyone of influence in these organizations feel free to send it on directly or let me have it , or add your own county. If you do so , please let us know so as we don't duplicate.

It would be good if someone from each county would take on the task of sending it to their own, TD and Councilors or organizations / clubs .
If we then have gaps , in the map of Ireland , we can fill them in.

The Email for local Councillors can be had by going onto the Councils web sites and TD from
http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/contact/

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2018  ·  #23
It looks great Martin. Well done,
Malcolm

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2018  ·  #24
Quote by sprinter

It would be good if someone from each county would take on the task of sending it to their own, TD and Councilors or organizations / clubs .

OK Martin, I’ll take on the Donegal side of things.
I’ll wait till you’ve finished editing and will report where I send it.
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2018  ·  #25
I've been thinking of doing something similar in Wexford although my letter writing skills would be nowhere near as high as your's Martin. One offer I was going to make to the councilors was to organise three or four different types of motorhome to meet at the council offices before the next council meeting. I think this would be a great way to educate them and demonstrate our toilet, washing and waste facilities. It would also be a good way to talk them through their fears and point out how little or no money need be spent initially to get the ball rolling.
As I am going away in a few weeks I wouldn't be able to do anything until I get back and it would be the July meeting of the council that I'd be targeting. If no one in Wexford wants to run with this I'd be happy to take in on when I return.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2018  ·  #26
Quote by Flipperdipper

I've been thinking of doing something similar in Wexford although my letter writing skills would be nowhere near as high as your's Martin. One offer I was going to make to the councilors was to organize three or four different types of the motorhome to meet at the council offices before the next council meeting. I think this would be a great way to educate them and demonstrate our toilet, washing and waste facilities. It would also be a good way to talk them through their fears and point out how little or no money need be spent initially to get the ball rolling.
As I am going away in a few weeks I wouldn't be able to do anything until I get back and it would be the July Meeting of the council that I'd be targeting. If no one in Wexford wants to run with this I'd be happy to take in on when I return.

How about I add in.
If it would help Council officials and managers to understand , how little or no money, need be spent initially, to get the "Motorhome Tourism " going in your area , we would be prepared to organize three or four different types of Motorhome / Campervans to meet at the council offices before the next council meeting or at an arranged time, to demonstrate the space required and how self-sufficient they are with regard to toilet, washing and waste facilities.
Martin.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2018  ·  #27
I have sent out the first post to Wicklow Co CO and TD's below is a standard copy which can be used in the whole by adding in your own County or part of where it might suit another organization.

As a Motorhome owner and a member of a Forum ( Motorhomecraic.com. we currently have 23 million visitors and 5000, mainly Irish, registered members. ) interested in the promotion of all things to do with Motorhome holidaying, I would like to bring to your attention to the lack of facilities in Co.=======..
what is required to bring motorhome tourism to your locality is an " Aire ". This is a term used throughout Europe to describe an overnight parking place for Motorhomes ( not Caravans ) When we use the simple term "Aire" we generally mean an Aire Stationnement (parking area), which may or may not have a service bay. "Aire de Service" is a term which translates to Service Area, the bay where emptying and refilling are provided.
At this stage, so as not to confuse anyone what we are asking for your assistance with is "Motorhome Parking and Motorhome Service Area's" The very minimum "Motorhome Parking area " is, two white lines to park between ( a little wider than the normal car space ) for an overnight stop, with a grass / graveled or paved area to the rear to allow for rear axle overhang, initially with very little expenditure , this can be provided in any car park in Scenic areas , Towns, Villages , within walking distance of shops , supermarkets , Pubs , Restaurants , places of interest .
Preferably Free overnight or for a reasonable charge. If you consider, for example, Public car parks, Swimming pool, council offices. GAA, Soccer, Rugby Clubs, Supermarket, mostly empty at night and some at weekends.

In other Jurisdictions, Schools offer their facilities during holiday times and weekends for a fee.
In places where full facilities " Motorhome Service Area's" are provided the entrance is by Token or credit card operated barriers.
We have our own guidelines, which we expect our members to adhere to and would generally recommend a 2/3 night stay in any one place. At all times local rules are obeyed or enforced.
The standard motorhome insurance policy, underwritten by Axa Ireland allows for overnight parking, as long as the policyholder take reasonable steps regarding their location.
All other types of leisure accommodation, caravan, tent, motor racing vehicle/horse transporters are not insured when overnighting at an unofficial stop.
By providing some targeted motorhome parking, the council can promote locations, not on the general tourism trails. An example =====================( If you have one to add)

"2015 figures issued by the European Caravan Federation stated that there were approximately 1.7 million motorhomes registered in Europe with the highest levels of ownership in Germany, Italy, France and the United Kingdom.

If we accept that our membership consists of owners, there are 5000 plus motorhomes in Ireland ( north and south )

Therein information attached.

A "Motorhome Parking Area" (pdf file).

GUIDE_TO_USING_A_MOTORHOME_AIRE_IN_IRELAND ( pdf )

There is also a great facility in the North Of Ireland if you care to investigate it.

I would also like to bring to your attention some of the other groups interested in this topic.

Websites:
Motorhome Craic
Motorcaravanning Ireland
Facebook Groups:
Clubs:
Phoenix Motorhome Club
App:

Between them, they have over 35 Million visitors from all around the world. Motorhomecraic.com alone has 23 million and 5000, mainly Irish, registered members.

Obviously, as I am sending this all Councillors and TD in Co.====== It will be of no help any of you, or to me to receive a standard thank you for your contact letter. I would rather you spend your time doing something for motorhome tourism in ====== and become a leader in this regard, " motorhome parking " and an example to other Counties to follow
Best Regards

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2018  ·  #28
Looks good Martin, go for it. As I said if no one else runs with it I'll get stuck in on my return in mid June. :up:

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2018  ·  #29
This is the list so far
To: "Cllr. Jennifer Whitmore" <whitmore.jennifer@gmail.com>, Nicola Lawless <nicola.lawless.sf@gmail.com>, Grainne Mc Loughlin <cllrgrainnemcloughlin@gmail.com>, Gerry Walsh <gerrywalsh00@gmail.com>, Tom Fortune <tom.fortune49@gmail.com>
Cc: Derek Mitchell <mitchelld@eircom.net>, GDunne@wicklowcoco.ie, MKavanagh@wicklowcoco.ie, daire.nolan.1988@gmail.com, IWinters@wicklowcoco.ie, PVance@wicklowcoco.ie, jcbthornhill@gmail.com, jryan@greatplacetowork.ie, olobriain@gmail.com, stevensgreenbray@gmail.com, cllrmichaeloconnor@gmail.com, joebehan@outlook.ie, ETimmins@wicklowcoco.ie, JRuttle@wicklowcoco.ie, GEONeill@wicklowcoco.ie, TCullen@wicklowcoco.ie, vblake@wicklowcoco.ie, murphyinmotion@gmail.com, marymcdonaldsinnfein@gmail.com, patkennedy1@outlook.com, PFitzgerald@wicklowcoco.ie, SBourke@wicklowcoco.ie, tomannesley@yahoo.co.uk, info@visitwicklow.ie
billytimminswicklow@gmail.com
info@wicklowpartnership.ie
One answer.
Hi Martin
So agree with you. At last mtg of Greystones Municipal District Zoe =( typo.)( Apologies. Predictive text etc. I proposed etc ) asked Wicklow County Council to explore land use that would be suitable.
I would like to see a professionally managed van park with full facilities.
We are loosing a vital and important tourism project. I will explore further.
Regards
Grainne Mc Loughlin
For the Attention.
Shane Ross Minister for Transport, Tourism, and Sport
Michael Ring. Minister for Rural and Community Development
Josepha Madigan. Minister for Culture, Heritage & the Gaeltacht
Michael Creed Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine
Andrew Doyle Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture,
the Marine with the special responsibility, Forestry ( because the department of the marine are engaged in a policy of preventing Motorhomes overnighting in harbours around Ireland also if you look to the initiative in the north with their 'Touring in the Trees' project.)

It was suggested to me, that I forward this to you, because your departments may have a role in this also. therefore might have some influence in promoting Motorhome tourism in the future in Ireland as you can see it has gone to every elected member in Wicklow and will I hope to be sent to every elected person in the whole of the 26 counties and some of the other six, although some of them are way ahead of everyone down here.
regards

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2018  ·  #30
Well done.
Great to get at least one positive response.
We need to be careful as I see they mentioned touring in the trees which is also used by caravans. If they look into that they could get the wrong idea.
A lot of these people don't see the difference between a Motorhome and a caravan.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2018  ·  #31
Martin , a couple of very valid points there that need addressed. I'll reply Monday, last day of holidays and in a great bar!!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2018  ·  #32
Quote by Ally

Martin , a couple of very valid points there that need addressed. I'll reply Monday, last day of holidays and in a great bar!!

Enjoy your evening and the pints.
I'm watching the Boy play golf, and its pissing rain out there as well.but Reed is on fire.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.04.2018  ·  #33
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Ally

Enjoy your evening and the pints.
I'm watching the Boy play golf, and its pissing rain out there as well.but Reed is on fire.

Hmmmm, when did I type that? Quite coherent all the same. 😀

Anyhow....... What Mark said reference the caravans and also this in the reply.. "I would like to see a professionally managed van park with full facilities."

That sounds too much like an intended campsite, could you clarify with him? Getting in at this early stage and making it clear that is exactly what we don't require is very important I think.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #34
Below is a fabulously simple and inexpensive really good cassette emptying point I came across in my recent travels.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #35
The Aire in Saint Porchaire has the same thing. I have always thought it was simple but effective.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #36
We were in Waterford city at the weekend and stayed in the Bolton Street carpark which is roughly behind the Waterford crystal premises.
A section of the car park has daul lines. 3 rows of white car places for after 6 pm but between 9am and 6 pm there are yellow lined spaces for buses. These bus spaces are obviously for tour buses visiting.
This got me thinking about earlier posts in this thread about converting car parkind into MH park for nighttime.
Malcolm

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #37
Quote by baguette

Below is a fabulously simple and inexpensive really good cassette emptying point I came across in my recent travels.

Can you post that here Colin

forum/topic.php?t=16312

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #38
Quote by mark

Well done.
Great to get at least one positive response.
We need to be careful as I see they mentioned touring in the trees which are also used by caravans. If they look into that they could get the wrong idea.
A lot of these people don't see the difference between a Motorhome and a caravan.

Mark. The touring in the trees bit was aimed at Andrew Doyle Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture,
the Marine with the special responsibility, Forestry. if we can get into the forests, I for one will not mind sharing with anyone, no matter what sort of lid they have over them.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #39
Quote by Ally

Quote by baguette

Can you post that here Colin

forum/topic.php?t=16312

You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #40
I received this response today from Minister Harriss and answered it.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 at 11:13, Simon Harris <Simon.Harris@oireachtas.ie> wrote:

Dear Martin,

I hope this email finds you well.

Many thanks again for taking the time to contact me. I do appreciate it.

In an effort to assist I had made written representations to my colleague Shane Ross TD, the Minister for Transport, Tourism, and Sport seeking an update on Motorhome Tourism and the introduction of Motorhome Parking and Motorhome Service Areas.

I have now received the following response:

Thank you for your correspondence dated 7th April 2018, regarding Motorhome Parking and Motorhome Service Areas in County Wicklow.

My Department's role in tourism lies primarily in the area of developing National Tourism Policy, with the tourism agencies responsible for implementing various aspects of this policy. Caravan and campsites are a very important part of our tourism product and Fáilte Ireland will continue to promote this sector.

Under the Tourist Traffic Acts 1939-2016, Fáilte Ireland has specific power and functions in relation to the mandatory registration and grading of certain types of tourist accommodation, including caravan and camping parks. However, the regulations currently apply only to sites comprising of 20 or more touring spaces and would not, therefore apply to the "aires" model, which would be a matter for the local authorities in each county.

Fáilte Ireland is currently reviewing the Regulations for a number of short-term tourist accommodation types, including caravan and camping. It is envisaged that these draft regulations will be brought for my approval in the near future. It is hoped that the revised short-term tourism accommodation regulations will encourage the development of further caravan and camping facilities throughout Ireland. When reviewing and drafting these new regulations, I understand Fáilte Ireland included industry and consumer research and also consulted with the appropriate industry bodies, the Irish Caravan and Camping Council and the Irish Self Catering Federation.

Martin, I trust that you will find this information helpful and please do not hesitate to contact me on any matter.

In the meantime to stay in touch and please be assured of my best efforts.

Best wishes.

Kind Regards,

Simon

Minister Simon Harris TD

Simon.
As you can see from the mission statement from both of the originations mentioned they have no interest in motorhome Airs, on the contrary, they are the very people who will object to the simple Motorhome parking model we require to improve the facilities throughout the country .as was the case when cork county council opened up their fine motorhome parking Facility in Cobh, where they threatened to take the council to Court in order to stop them from providing the parking area.

Minister Ross would do better to instruct Failte Ireland to consult with the Motorhome Owners before deciding policy to do with Motorhome tourism and not Greedy camping park and the self-catering owners.
We have offered to meet anyone interested, to demonstrate the very low-cost facilities required.
Best Regards
Martin D.

The Irish Caravan and Camping Council.
The present-day organization is composed of approximately 100 caravan and camping park operators, whose sites are Failte Ireland registered and have fulfilled the stringent criteria laid down by the Bord.
In addition to park members, an influential core group of caravan manufacturers, dealers, and equipment suppliers make up the additional membership

The Irish Self Catering Federation.
Represents members who market thousands of holiday homes in Ireland and who employ many thousands of people both on a full time and seasonal basis throughout Ireland in the tourism sector.

The above is like asking Turkeys to make policy for Christmas.

AS you can see they either still missing the point or don,t want to take their heads out of the Camping park sandbox.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.