Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Fitting a led strip light

· 
Posted: 18.03.2018  ·  #1
Since we got our MH, our wardrobe was like a black hole especially with the nlinds closed. There was no light inside to help when trying to find something. I had tried various battery lamps and torches but the little people never turned them off properly.
About a month or so ago, when in lidl, I found an undercounter led strip light. After opening the box ,I discovered that the transformer plug was 12 volt output, the same voltage as the MH. The current draw was only 3 watt, since would be less than 0.25 amps per hour. All of this for €12.99, it would be worth an experiment.
The 12 volt fuse board is located in our wardrobe, so a fused positive and negative were piched and extented to the roof. The factory 3 pin plug was chopped off the led lamp and the 2 wires joined to my positive and negative. A bit of double side tape stuck the lamp to the ceiling.
A brilliant down light now which can be seen if the wardrobe door is closed that doesn't drink power or batteries.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

Re: Fitting a led strip light

· 
Posted: 18.03.2018  ·  #2
I just use motion sensor battery LED lights - half decent ones that have a lot of LEDs. I have one in the bathroom, one under the French bed so it comes on when you lift it & one on the wardrobe door.

Means as soon as you open the door the light floods into the wardrobe unobscured. If I had mounted a light on the top of the wardrobe I found the clothes blocked most of the light. Deals with the problem of remembering to turn them off too as they switch off after 10 secs of no motion. I use them all round the house too in place like eaves of the house where we store stuff. Means no looking for a torch and both hands are free.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.03.2018  ·  #3
Malcolm, my wardrobe has a pushbutton fitted, light comes on when door is opened and goes off again when closed,
Ill try and get a part number if its any use,

I bought a few rolls of them strip lights from ebay and found them to be very handy alright

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.03.2018  ·  #4
A unexpected bonus was that this weekend, we were down in the Kilfinane aire with Henry who is the local publician and undertaker. This freeked my little one a bit, but the wardrobe light was left on all night and the evil spirits stayed away.
The lidl lamp is touch sensitive to turn off and on, so even a climbing kid can manage it.
I was only looking for a lamp which was as cheap as a hot pizza which can be fitted anywhere in the MH.
Malcolm

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.03.2018  ·  #5
Funny, did almost exactly the same with a Lidl Strip light, the one I used had several sections that you could join together to make it as long as you need.
The traffo looks the same, I used it in the overcab locker which was hard to see into at night.
I tapped the switch for the grey water heater tank for power, I had to find some piggyback spade connectors to make a nice neat joint.
The light is very handy for locating stuff as the locker is wide and deep.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.