Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Water tank venting

· 
Posted: 12.03.2018  ·  #1
Hi folks,

I have recently refilled my fresh water tank, having purged it for my first winter. I now notice there is a venting problem. Maybe it was always there and I never noticed before. When I run water, it pulls a vacuum in the tank. It is then a struggle to open the water refill cap followed by a big inrush of air. So I investigated.

Here is my setup, a large water intake pipe with a smaller red venting tube.

I expected to see a hole from the front side of the inlet that matched up with the venting tube but it is obviously designed differently and must vent through the cap.

I removed the venting tube momentarily. I attached a small piece of tube and tried to blow through it, the idea being to see if it was blocked.

With the cap removed, I could blow some air though the pipe but there is some resistance. With the cap in place, there was even more resistance. I am of coarse blowing air in the reverse direction to normal operation so perhaps air should not flow so freely in that direction.

With everything reattached, I tightened up the cap and ran some water again but the issue remains. I suppose that by removing the cap, air does rush in so the venting tube must be ok. This really leaves the cap doesn't it? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

This is what my inlet looks like. Maybe someone recognises the part or manufacturer, just in case I need to buy a new cap. Or are these caps standardised?

Any help appreciated.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Water tank venting

· 
Posted: 12.03.2018  ·  #2
Out water tank is slightly different with a vent/overflow pipe fitting into the top of the tank. This pipe is then ran through the floor.
Malcolm

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.03.2018  ·  #3
Quote by Thorn123

Out water tank is slightly different with a vent/overflow pipe fitting into the top of the tank. This pipe is then ran through the floor.
Malcolm

Right, so that must come up somewhere high, relatively speaking. Like what happens in a house. I could disconnect my vent tube and just let it sit fastened to the inlet pipe. There would be no problem venting then. But I won’t as that would surely be the wrong thing to do. Perhaps on a bumpy road with a tank of water sloshing about could force some out the vent pipe and wet inside my garage.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.03.2018  ·  #4
Water would come out the tube when breaking or cornering , , how about running the overflow out through the floor as there appears to be a fault in your filler cap

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Water tank venting

· 
Posted: 12.03.2018  ·  #5
I had similar problem problem , the vent pipe from the tank got kinked , now when I fill up, the water squirts out trough the vent hole in the neck of the filler , when the tank is full, the tank should vet trough the cap same as your fuel tank, I just checked and my one has a little hole trough the center of the white piece and you can plow trough it .this is where the venting is.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.03.2018  ·  #6
Quote by eirebus

Water would come out the tube when breaking or cornering , , how about running the overflow out through the floor as there appears to be a fault in your filler cap

Well my garage is full height at the back, so can't go through the floor. I had thought about removing the venting tube, drilling a hole through the nozzle out the front plate and putting back the tube. That would direct any overflow externally out the side wall. I could eventually regret doing that though. It does point to the cap though doesn't it?

I might just hang back, loosen off or remove the cap when the van is in use. Maybe I could source a replacement cap eventually or even borrow one to be sure first.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.03.2018  ·  #7
Quote by sprinter

I had similar problem problem , the vent pipe from the tank got kinked , now when I fill up, the water squirts out trough the vent hole in the neck of the filler , when the tank is full, the tank should vet trough the cap same as your fuel tank, I just checked and my one has a little hole trough the center of the white piece and you can plow trough it .this is where the venting is.

I just checked and mine has a little hole through the white piece too but there is no way I can blow through that. So you can blow through without much effort or resistance?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.03.2018  ·  #8
Well I'll be darned. Eirebus Sprinter, your little piece of information was rather helpful. I managed to prise open the filler cap with out too much effort.

Inside the white cavity is a spring and a black plastic circular plate. This plate has two holes. I should be able to blow through the white outer piece hole and force air through the black plate holes, as you mentioned. I took it apart and put it back together. No fluff, no grime or moss. Reassembled and still could not blow through. Took apart again and notice the black plate was recessed on one side. I flipped this piece around, reassembled and could blow through easily.

I put back upon the cap and ran some water. The water came through without chugging or turbulence and I could immediately removed the cap with ease. Someone must have had this cap disassembled in the past. Go figure!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Water tank venting

· 
Posted: 12.03.2018  ·  #9
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by sprinter

I just checked and mine has a little hole through the white piece too but there is no way I can blow through that. So you can blow through without much effort or resistance?

Yes try taking out the rubber sealing ring from the cap ant check there is no gunk in there. or go to the local garage ask them to blow trough the hole with an air blowgun

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.03.2018  ·  #10
Yep, sorted it. See my previous post. I had to edit that post as I had meant to say it was what Sprinter said that made me investigate the cap, not Eirebus. Sorry Eirebus, your information was good too!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.