agent006
My Motorhome: Hymer B774
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Cork area AluGas / LPG repairs

· 
Posted: 10.03.2018  ·  #1
Hello,

Wondering if anyone can point me towards an engineer or workshop in or around Cork that can fix a leaking AluGas cylinder?

We have a slight leak from where the fill lose attaches to one of our (of course full) AluGas bottles. It's in with some hefty threadlock so my attempts to nip it tighter haven't fixed it.
We're over from the UK, 3 days into a month long tour of Ireland so are a bit lost as to who to call. Internet searches have not really shown up much except a couple of car lpg converters. I think one of them should be able to fix the immediate problem (safely empty tank and refit leaking thread) but I'd like to get the whole lot looked over properly afterwards.

Any ideas?

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

Re: Cork area AluGas / LPG repairs

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #2
You could try Cork Gas. If they can't help, they'll surely be able to guide you to someone who can fix your leak.

CORK GAS
Unit 7a
Forge Hill Business Park
Forge Hill
Cork
T12 X625

Telephone. 00353 21 4963749
Email. info@corkgascentre.ie
Coordinates 51°52'12.1"N 8°28'51.0"W

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #3
It’s probably a split or badly seated washer and the pipe is as tight as it could go.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #4
This may not be helpful, but there are three MH servicing companies in the Limerick area.
I only mention it, in case you are following the coast toward the north.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #5
Quote by agent006

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can point me towards an engineer or workshop in or around Cork that can fix a leaking AluGas cylinder?

We have a slight leak from where the fill lose attaches to one of our (of course full) AluGas bottles. It's in with some hefty threadlock so my attempts to nip it tighter haven't fixed it.
We're over from the UK, 3 days into a month long tour of Ireland so are a bit lost as to who to call. Internet searches have not really shown up much except a couple of car lpg converters. I think one of them should be able to fix the immediate problem (safely empty tank and refit leaking thread) but I'd like to get the whole lot looked over properly afterwards.

Any ideas?

You mention thread lock so to me that would mean it is the male fitting threaded into the bottle top assembly.
Can you show a photo of where the leak is, it may help.

agent006
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #6
Thanks for the suggestions. Will try Cork gas on Monday. I was going to head to Car Gas Conversions but I get a better 'feel' from looking at Cork gas.

Quote by sprinter

You mention thread lock so to me that would mean it is the male fitting threaded into the bottle top assembly.
Can you show a photo of where the leak is, it may help.

This is the fitting that is leaking. The colour on the thread suggests to me that there's some kind of tape or threadlock on it. There's not much access to get a spanner on it. I did manage to put a couple of degrees turn but it's not just going to nip up and be fine.

Of course it's the full bottle that's leaking and not the other that is almost empty.

agent006
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #7
Can't find an obvious edit button...

It's the larger section, that enters the bottle, that is leaking.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #8
That isn’t something I would attempt, the fittings on the bottles are normally factory fitted so get a gas engineer to look at it, but in my armature view it may be a defective bottle.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #9
They are pretreated fittings ,and to me you have some corrosion problems , you have a brass/alloy fitting in an aluminium bottle . Just tightening the fitting is not going to work ,it will have to be taken out and cleaned and have the thread in the bottle top checked.
Good call going to Cork Gas as soon as you can.

Anyone who takes that fitting out needs to be a Gas Engineer if only for insurance purposes.
The fact that the gas has to be let off, needs to be done under controlled conditions.
Let us know how you get on.

agent006
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.03.2018  ·  #10
Well there's good news and bad news.

Bad news is that Cork Gas don't do this kind of thing. They're more a domestic fires and bbq place.
However just down the road is Car Gas Systems, so I gave them a go. Rather a gruff no nonsense Eastern European chap, but he did at least drown the bottles in leak detector spray. What this did was to confirm my suspicion that the leak had stopped as the gas level had dropped. It also confirmed that a Polish/Cork hybrid accent is quite a formidable thing to understand.

So after that I phoned autogas2000 in England, they're the AluGas importer and fitted this system for the previous owner years ago. The chap there was really helpful and talked me through what he though would be best to do to it. Which is to take the bottle out, and tighten that fitting by a full turn. The leaking part is the top of the filler, which is a float valve affair that stops the fill at 80%full.

Now I've been using this bottle like crazy the last few days to empty it, and the needle has only just dropped off full. Normally this usage would see it drop by a third, easily. I suspect what's happened is the float in the fill valve is stuck open and the bottle has overfilled. Therefore the next time I fill up I risk getting back in the same situation all over again. I'm certainly too risk averse to try it in any case.

The plan is to drain this bottle through normal usage now its not leaking, then remove the filler pipe from the splitter and connect it direct to the other known good bottle. That way we can run off that one for the rest of our tour of this increasingly wonderful land, and then get the whole thing to autogas2000 when we're off the Cairnryan ferry early next month before we resume our schedule with a month in Scotland.

Thanks is for your help, even though we didn't get a solution it certainly gave us some light in a pretty crappy moment.

On a lighter note, had a wonderful stay at Mizen Head last night and now settling down at Berehaven to see what this weather brings us.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.