Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

Causeway coast parking

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #1
I was disappointed to read this. Not so much about 40p hour parking for car parks and beaches on the North Coast but also plans to stop Motorhomes overnighting in some popular locations. I don’t see how this helps parking your motorhome in any of the towns during the day even if you are overnighting in a campsite. Seems the only place you can park is Portrush Aire & if that is full what do you do? I didn’t realise the National Trust controlled Bushmills Park & Ride otherwise that would have charges too.

See the link below & some of the motorhome specific extracts from the parking strategy document at the bottom of the linked story.

https://news.causewaycoastcomm…t-beaches/

https://news.causewaycoastcomm…25-1-1.pdf

“The increasing number of overnight stays from those using campervans will add to pressure on certain sites, and it is worth considering how this can be managed more effectively. Consideration should be given to enforcement solutions bearing in mind coastal car parks accommodate a range of users including outdoor recreation enthusiasts (including commercial operators) who often have high sided vehicles carrying equipment associated with their pursuit/activity, thus height restriction barriers may not help address this issue.”

“Council is also aware of instances of overnight parking by campervans at certain key sites located near tourist destinations e.g. Portballintrae Beach Road car park, Whiterocks car park and Magheracross car park on Dunluce Road. There is a need to clarify (1) that some car parks should not be used for this purpose altogether and (2) where overnight parking is permissible, terms and conditions should be developed and consideration given to implement a charging regime. Council will audit existing facilities and consider other areas within the Borough under Council land ownership. This will consider the associated facilities that may be required for overnight use such as aire de service machines, tank emptying equipment and electricity hook-ups. Any consideration needs to take into account our current campervan facilities at various sites including Juniper Hill, Carrick Dhu, Benone, Cushendall, Cushendun, Drumaheglis and Sandhill Drive. This will be done in conjunction with our Leisure & Development Department.

Also, Council should investigate the legalities surrounding those that are non-compliant and what enforcement methods are available for those who park overnight on Council car parks and land.”

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Causeway coast parking

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #2
It’s amazing what a brown envelope from vested interests can do to a political decision.....

Still, Portrush loss will be somewhere else’s gain, it’s only caged birds that think they can’t fly.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

Re: Causeway coast parking

· 
Posted: 22.02.2018  ·  #3
"Clarify which car parks can be used for overnight parking. Consider implementing charging and hours of use arrangements for those that can be used including enforcement for non-compliance. Examine need for associated facilities in conjunction with Leisure & Development."

This could be a positive, if it leads to more Aires being created.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.