heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

loads of lights

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #1
Started the Boxer this morning ready to take for its annual service tomorrow with the intention of giving it a run first.
Dashboard messages and lights a plenty.
Ignition on and I get
EDB failer
Hill Hold Unavailable
ESP unavailable
ABS unavailable

Start the engine

Oil level 5 stars
Check Engine
Lights remain on

Service light
Parking brake light
ABS light
ESP light
Engine emission control light

It is three weeks since I did a 200 mile plus journey and every thing fine then.
As I said it is booked in for its annual service tomorrow (and MOT) but does anybody have any ideas or quick solutions

David

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: loads of lights

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #2
Low voltage can cause such issues.
Charge it up, see if that sorts the issue...... disconnecting the battery and reconnecting can sometimes sort it.

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #3
I agree with jjf charge battery first and see if that cures problem, if lights are still on disconnect battery for 5 minutes and reconnect. Make sure you have radio code if needed. Make sure you give all the electronic systems on van time to shut down before disconnecting or reconnecting the battery.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2018  ·  #4
the sorry story up to date

Van still at the garage with the same brake system warning lights.
Cant blame this on mice (or bigger) as everything from underneath is clean and shipshape and they have done the service and nothing untoward there
As my local garage admits that he has never seen anything like this Peugeot main dealers now in the loop but again they have about as much idea as anybody else.
Latest is that it has now been referred to PUG UK technical department and we are awaiting a response from them (But it is Friday so I guess it will be about next Wednesday)
Mean time even though all the brake test equipment shows everything is OK it would be a MOT failure as the electronic equipment when plugged in shows their is a fault (in fact several) within the braking system.
Just pleased that I have a good local garage with MOT facility otherwise I would have had a failure to pay for and a retest.
For now it stays in his place and happily for me is locked away in the garage every night, just hope that it is not the ECU that has gone up the swanny

So anybody who knows if this has happened before either on a Pug or maybe a Ford Transit (they share the same engine)

David

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2018  ·  #5
Nightmare David, keep the updates coming as it assists others in the future.
Hopefully you will have it sorted soon.
Afraid it’s the way nowadays with modern electronics in vehicles, getting to the stage where it is becoming increasing difficult to repair and in turn getting seriously expensive to have repaired when out of warranty.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2018  ·  #6
It's a long shot David. I am the proud owner of a 1000 cc Kia Pucanto with several brake light faults but when my local mechanic checked, there was none. The problem was that the brake disc was rusty on the abs sensor side. I had numerous abs failure before my mechanic copped on. The wet or cold affects the reading with rust. Tell the mechanic to get out his wire brush.
Malcolm

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #7
Update number 2

Called at Garage this morning for a chat.
When he arrived this morning in the dark he noticed a strange glow in the cab of my pug and guess what the dash was lit up with several warnings even though it was locked up and no keys anywhere near it.
So it looks like the common fault (which Pug don't acknowledge but Fiat do) of the dashboard failing.
Peugeot have been as much use as petrol to put out a fire I have suggested that maybe a friendly chat to Autosleeper and he is going to try that on Monday.
Meanwhile it looks likely that I am going to end up with a big bill for a manufacturing fault
peed off or what, on my last motorhome I had a turbo go at 22k and that cost me a bomb maybe I will go back to the caravan

David

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #8
Quote by heanorboy

So it looks like the common fault (which Pug don't acknowledge but Fiat do) of the dashboard failing.

We had a similar problem when our (Fiat) van was only weeks old.
Fiat agreed it was a known fault and replaced the instrument cluster. The part had to be ordered from Italy as they had run out because of the demand.
Strange it is being Denied by Peugeot.

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #9
Yes we had the same problem with our clock cluster, 2013 Ducato. Some lights were only faintly on, but getting stronger as time passed. Straight back to dealer and insisted the clocks be replaced, even though dealer try to say it wasn't a problem as nothing was 'actually' wrong. It will fail a DOE I explained. Cluster changed, problem gone. It really should be replaced for you as it's a known manufacturers fault... hope it works out for you.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #10
Same with our 2016 Fiat. Cluster changed under warranty without quibble.

Davy

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #11
I have been advised of a company who will sort it out for £150 so this may be the way I will have to go but cost of getting it out and putting back will be on top, of course the MOT will now run out and I will have to pay for a retest as well

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #12
This company might be able to help David.

http://dkelectronics.co.uk/

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2018  ·  #13
Update no 3

Thought that I had better re tax before the old MOT ran out only to be told that as the MOT testing done so far had registered a fail I could not do this or indeed the van could be ceased if I took it on the road with no MOT.
So if I have to get it to a PUIG main dealer I will have to have it transported, this is now beyond a joke I cant even get rid of the bl**dy thing until it is put right

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2018  ·  #14
Nightmare 😩

Ridiculous service from Peugeot

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2018  ·  #15
Stupid question.... Apologies. How are you meant to get it back to a test centre normally in those circumstances? Surely there has to be some understanding around it?! Sorry for your troubles...

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2018  ·  #16
Quote by killiand

Stupid question.... Apologies. How are you meant to get it back to a test centre normally in those circumstances? Surely there has to be some understanding around it?! Sorry for your troubles...

My understanding is that there is an exemption when traveling to and from a test centre while in possession of a pre booking.

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2018  ·  #17
Quote by ntg

My understanding is that there is an exemption when traveling to and from a test centre while in possession of a pre booking.

You can also drive it somewhere to be repaired.
From here - https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

If the MOT has run out
You can’t drive your vehicle on the road if the MOT has run out. You can be prosecuted if caught.

The only exceptions are to drive it:

to or from somewhere to be repaired
to a pre-arranged MOT test

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2018  ·  #18
Thanks for that one and all, I had not researched but I was going on the HELP DESK at the DVLA advice which was WRONG
Meantime I need to make my mind up if only out of good manners towards the garage in the village who have the van in their yard at the moment
Will get my head together and get on the phone this afternoon
I wonder if the Insurance is still valid if you are taking it for repairs with no MOT and maybe no tax as that runs out at the end of the month, will have to ring them as well
Oh of course there is not a Pug commercial dealer with 15 miles of me,
Sorry I have gone into rant mode
David

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2018  ·  #19
I think that a “good rant” is completely forgivable David in the circumstances. Good luck getting it sorted mate.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2018  ·  #20
Its me again
update no 4

Bet you all thought that I had not bothered letting you know every thing was ok well you are BL***DY WELL WRONG

Van still at garage MOT ran out and tax runs out at end of month

Peugeot Technical UK have now acknowledged that they have seen this fault before and after about a zillion phone calls to them advise that it is the Speed Sensor on the Gearbox and have kindly sent my garage a page out of the official workshop manual showing location and how to remove. Arrr very good we all thinks only problem with this my van does not have one and where they say it is, is a blanking plate with a Pug symbol on it so it has never had one, but Pug tech UK wont accept this so I am now left with only one option, my garage are going to book the van into the nearest Pug commercial service station and take it under trade plate and wait to see if their plug in analysis show anything different to theirs and a mobile Auto electricians which both show nothing

And as I still cannot drink due to painkillers I cant even get (you know the word)

David

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2018  ·  #21
That's turning into quite a saga. I hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Robbie
Starline S680
My Motorhome: Hymer S680
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2018  ·  #22
Your having a bad run there David sorry but thanks for sharing the story as its interesting to date

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2018  ·  #23
David can i ask you is your vehicle still under warranty and what is the present mileage?

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2018  ·  #24
Quote by ntg

David can i ask you is your vehicle still under warranty and what is the present mileage?

No problem it was registered December 2012 and think that the current mileage is around 28,000

David

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2018  ·  #25
Unfortunately that takes you out of the normal manufacturers warranty period unless you have extended warranty, my suggestion would be to get your Motorhome to a registered dealer who will be tasked with giving you a diagnosis of the exact problem and cost to repair.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2018  ·  #26
Update no 5
We might hopefully getting somewhere the third plug in showed that there was a problem with the ABS unit which is a real sod to get at. New one from Pug £1400 plus and they say 5 hours labour(£125 ph), local guys have found somewhere that will recondition existing unit and have quoted around £500 all in including labour, Also told them to send off the dash to Cartronix Van now SORN as out of tax. Will update further if and when I get it back
David

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2018  ·  #27
Still without a van been without now for over a month.
The fault is just about as bad as it can get money wise.
After Peugeot stopped fitting the speed sensor on top of the gearbox (For those of you just looking in read previous updates) the had a go at fitting a ABS ECU with the speed sensor being incorporated. Ok not a problem garage get it out and send it off for repair to a company they have used dozens of times before.
After about a week received phone call telling them that although they can repair over 95% of units sent to them they cant do this one. They do not recognise it and believe that when Peugeot started fitting these they must have found some cheap job lot as later models they have repaired loads. So back to square on garage have now been taking to another company who have agreed to have a look at it even though they have seen the report from the first company.
If they cannot do it looks like I am looking at a new unit which only quote obtained to date is from Peugeot at £1400 plus Vat.
I am getting serious about giving up the painkillers so I can get well and truly

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2018  ·  #28
Bad news David, bloody electronics .... If only you could get it sorted, at least you could get using it again to ease the pain & frustration of the impending bill. Chin up anyway mate, don’t let it grind you down.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2018  ·  #29
Just out of curiosity David, did anyone try the brakes on a road test just to see if it is the abs system or maybe a computer glitch?

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #30
Quote by petie

Just out of curiosity David, did anyone try the brakes on a road test just to see if it is the abs system or maybe a computer glitch?

Everything fine would have had a clean pass on the MOT apart from the computer telling the MOT computer that I didn't have any brakes and the rest
So automatic fail.

David

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #31
If everything was working fine maybe it is a break in the wiring or a dodgy sensor,telling the computer there is a fault,maybe best to check the wiring first then try a second hand abs unit for comparison, whenever the company checked the abs unit did they find it was faulty on a bench test,or did they find no fault at all.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #32
The faulty speed sensor is built into the ECU for the ABS and is not of a make they had ever seen before.
The ABS unit itself is fine having already been tested by a Auto Electrician as well as rolling road tested.
I am lead to believe they now mainly use Bosch units hence the stupid high cost to replace.
Should hopefully know by the end of this week believe me they have tried just about everything to get me back on the road short of writing it off in a test run.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2018  ·  #33
Here is a curved ball thrown in.
By any chance is your van over 3500kgs gross?
If so, the manufacturer had a tachograph fitted before the conversion into a motorhome. This may have been bypassed because a motorhome doesn't need a tachograph and maybe this is ballsing up your computer systems. It's a long shot.
Malcolm

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2018  ·  #34
No only 3300 kg I would guess that Autosleeper are probably one of Peugeots best customers in the UK so they could dictate what they get

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #35
Hello I am still here Vanless
Well the unit was sent to TWO companies who thought they could repair it but it was beyond repair so had to bite the bullet and ordered a new one
Simple well NO after about two weeks correspondence with Bosch in Germany they were about as much help as a chocolate teapot, the unit was not made available to Bosch Agents in Europe only to Manufacturers and they stopped making it in 2013 after less than 2 years in production. So after another hundred phone calls a unit was found but the price had jumped to £1500+ not including VAT so over £1800 just for the unit. Well its in but the thing would not speak to the van even though it was being programmed by Peugeot and they are now lost what to do.
Estimate of the bill so far is it is in the Stupid zone if i ever get it back could be looking at £4000 plus with labour and having the dash board sorted.
To be honest i don't want it now don't feel that I can trust it anymore
I know that it can be an expensive hobby but this is beyond a joke
David

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #36
Feel for you David, really do.
Modern electronic nightmare.......

Hoping you get it sorted for the summer,
Keep us updated.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #37
I feel for you. That’s terrible in a modern vehicle. I hope it works out for you. Unbelievable that it can’t be sorted by Peugeot

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2018  ·  #38
:(

That's awful David, a ridiculous turn of events and shame to Peugeot, really hope you get something sorted and soon, I know what you mean about losing faith in a van.

Biggles
Homepage: rlcontrols.co.uk
My Motorhome: Elddis Ariane
Base Vehicle: Renault Trafic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2018  ·  #39
Just an idea for you Sir.

A few years ago I had a similar failure on a BMW, in my case the parts were going to cost more than the car was worth etc.

I posted my plight in the BMW section of a motoring forum called PistonHeads, someone on there knew the answer and helped me sort it.

It may be worth a post, it doesn't seem like you have anything to lose :

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=160

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2018  ·  #40
Hi all "I'm Back"

Lost the will to care anymore.

Been down to the garage today with some vane hope that I might have a van soon.

They have ben messing around with the new unit for a couple of weeks now and then involved Peugeot who still could not get it to work. So today they took it to whoever they sent the original to and they tell them that the new unit is Faulty, you just could not make it up, so another new one now to be found/ordered and then we will see.

Have decided to still go to Newbury Motorhome show to stay as I had already booked for the weekend with friends so am now going to take my caravan

David

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.