I use it regularly and have had no issues for a number of years

12 (52.17%)
I have used it, but sporadically and with no longevity and no issues

8 (34.78%)
I have used it and experienced no issues

1 (4.35%)
I have never and will never use it due to possible concerns

2 (8.7%)
I have never and will never use it as i'm qualified/experienced in this area and it's not good

0 (0%)
Total votes:23
killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

Dipetane!

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #1
Thought I'd throw this out there considering it has cropped up in a conversation and see what we all say!

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Dipetane!

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #2
Killy I had a little merc a 12 ton furniture van which was used on a contract around Essex, When that finished we started to use it for overspill with a big one running down to Spain ,on the first trip it used quite a bit of oil even through it had only 30,000 on the clock. Went to see a good fitter that I knew and after checking it over he told me, take it out and clog it especially up hills, it has been nursed too much and the oil control rings are sticking. Give it plenty of work which we did and never had any problems after that. As regards Dipitane ,if things like this were as good as they say then a major oil company would snap it up and put it in their product. Anything that cleans leaves no lubrication behind and this must increase wear on moving parts.

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #3
Dipetane is as good as they say it is IMO. I can't see how it has relevance to oil consumption etc as it is a fuel additive to clean out the fuel system ??

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #4
That was I was trying to show that a lot of motorhomes need a good bit of work to make them run properly, quite a few only travel a small distance ,look at their total mileage. If you want to cleanse your pump and lines put a bit of petrol in your fuel, this has additives in it for use in cars and it is normal to add it at a ratio depending how low is the temperature you want to operate at,. to your fuel.in Northern places like Canada and here in a bad winter. These wonder Additives have been around for a long time but none have made it to the big time yet.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #5
Not used it on the motorhome, but I used a similar thing from Millars Oils in the last 4x4, dont think it made a button of difference but will try it again in the current one and see how it goes.

I have heard that if you use a small amount of non synthetic 2 stroke oil in the fuel it works wonders, but have also heard the term snake oil used!

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #6
I've also tried an number of off the shelf additives, but didn't see any difference. A few years ago, I tried 2 stroke in an old Renault diesel engine, I thought ( probably imagined) it was quieter and less smoke , not sure about fuel consumption though. There was a lot of discussion on the internet about 2 stroke helping with combustion and DPF life.

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-…-study.php

I think snake oil sounds accurate.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #7
Every time we go out in the Motorhome I make sure it goes over 3000 revs at least once! (Usually 7 or 8 times)

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #8
Quote by Ally

Every time we go out in the Motorhome I make sure it goes over 3000 revs at least once! (Usually 7 or 8 times)

James Dean - eat yer heart out!

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #9
Like that - got the recommendation of 2 stroke, but like ally I make sure when we're going anywhere She gets a good run along the way! Although I've no dpf or any of the other fancy Mumbo jumbo 😂

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #10
Drive er like yer late for mass 😁😁

I have an app on the phone to keep track of mpg on car, mh and the work van,

Used diptane for 6 months and it made no difference to mpg or preformance for me,

I have heard all sorts over the years to clean the system
A gallon of kerosene to a full tank
A gallon of petrol to a full tank
A pint of 2 stroke to a full tank

I dont know rightly but if you drive er on like its ment to be driven you should have no bother, well thats been working for me for years

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #11
My local mechanic recommends that with anything over 5 or 6 years of age is given a shot of dipetine into a full tank of fuel about a week before the vehicle lands to him. He reckons that not only does it clean the fuel system, it also cleans the exhaust sensors, cat etc. I haven't done the MH yet.
With a pair of 06 reg petrol cars in this house, I usually do both about twice a year. Maybe I'm barking mad.
Malcolm

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #12
Quote by mad max

Drive er like yer late for mass 😁😁

I have an app on the phone to keep track of mpg on car, mh and the work van,

Used diptane for 6 months and it made no difference to mpg or preformance for me,

I have heard all sorts over the years to clean the system
A gallon of kerosene to a full tank
A gallon of petrol to a full tank
A pint of 2 stroke to a full tank

I dont know rightly but if you drive er on like its ment to be driven you should have no bother, well thats been working for me for years

You are preaching from the same hymn Book as myself there John, Pedal to the Metal works for me too :up:

MAURICE
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #13
Drive it like you stole no smoke no poke lol.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #14
Ally, with all these poor old motorhomes sitting around with cobwebs hanging from them , do you think a meet up in your home twenty and a santa pod type run down the seven mile straight would clear the tubes and if it was a success the next one in Ballyjamesduff. There would be no fluff up the exhausts after that ! It would be cheaper than additives

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2018  ·  #15
I had diesel knock in my car and used Diptane for a few weeks and it stopped the knock , I was surprised but it did work

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2018  ·  #16
Quote by nilrac

Ally, with all these poor old motorhomes sitting around with cobwebs hanging from them , do you think a meet up in your home twenty and a santa pod type run down the seven mile straight would clear the tubes and if it was a success the next one in Ballyjamesduff. There would be no fluff up the exhausts after that ! It would be cheaper than additives

Sounds like a plan, I'll get onto the parades commission and see if I can get the roads closed :lol:

dealgan
Love's the Craic
Homepage: declangrady.com
My Motorhome: 2006 Knaus Sun Traveller 650LG-RM
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci140
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2018  ·  #17
Quote by Ally

Sounds like a plan, I'll get onto the parades commission and see if I can get the roads closed :lol:

Nawh.... Keep the roads open. We like a challenge :up:

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2018  ·  #18
There's quite a few videos out there myth busting pretty much all fuel additives. So science would suggest that they're not that effective.

I'm with Ally on this one, I always like to push the van a little bit every now and then to stretch her legs. Never do it on a cold engine though or with a fully packed van on a uphill :P

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2018  ·  #19
Get the revs up from time to time must be a good thing. But the jury is still out for me on Dipethane. The problem seems to be sitting through opinion, heresay and actual science.

I found a good [url=

]video[/url] on YouTube that does seem to be based on actual scientific research. The engineer in this video references actual published scientific papers. No reference to Dipethane, but fuel cleaners in general. He's final wrap up and advice seems reasonable.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2018  ·  #20
What exactly is Dipetane please,Because I have never seen it.As regards additives does anybody remember when you went in to a petrol station the attendant ( we didn't have to get out in those days ) used to ask you how many shots of Redex from a dispenser.,would you like ,after that we had Wynns in little plastic bottles which they promised a cleaner engine and more MPG, Lately Topaz were saying if you used their fuel you would again get more MPG. Never found any difference. I like Jack the Rev have used a drop of two stroke oil because it is made to clean and lubricate a two stroke engine which has no other lubrication. And when I did I would swear it seemed to make the engine more quite. Cant say about MPG because I never checked it. Some people will swear by their favourites. But until proven I don't trust the claims of these products

limi
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus 580 Travel Liner
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2018  ·  #21
Two stroke oil does make the injector pump run smooth and with less noise, I have used it for a few years in cars vans and camper, The Land rover forum guys think it works well,
I have used dipetane as well not sure of the different if any between two stroke oil and it,

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Dipetane!

· 
Posted: 08.02.2018  ·  #22
Quote by limi

Two stroke oil does make the injector pump run smooth and with less noise, I have used it for a few years in cars vans and camper, The Land rover forum guys think it works well,
I have used dipetane as well not sure of the different if any between two stroke oil and it,

What ratio ?

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2018  ·  #23
when I used it about a big tea cup full to a tank.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2018  ·  #24
I was recommended a 200:1 volume mixture of JASO-FC grade 2-stroke oil in low sulphur diesel.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2018  ·  #25
Unfortunately nilracs measurement makes more sense to me 😆 Good video - a few more thoughts for consideration!!

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2018  ·  #26
I doubt you'll find out exactly what Dipetane is due to trade secrets etc. It does seem to have an odour similar to kerosene in my opinion. It works by aiding the combustion process to give a more complete burn and hence little or no carbon build up. It has proven to be very successful in lowering emissions to pass the NCT/MoT. Better fuel economy can be a by-product of lower emissions. Coca Cola achieved a 17% fuel improvement with their truck fleet using Dipetane.
Ulster University used it on a home heating gas oil burner and achieved a fuel improvement of 10.5%. According to themselves, they are covered by Lloyds Insurance and have a 100% claim free record.
Usually Id be skeptical but it has worked for me in the past as regards dirty injectors.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.