My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Newcastle parking

· 
Posted: 24.01.2018  ·  #1
Motorhomes to be barred from Newcastle car parks

4 October 2017

COUNCIL officials are to erect barriers at the entrance to two car parks in Newcastle to prevent them being used by motorhome owners and eating up valuable spaces that could be used by residents and visitors.

The move to erect the barriers at the Glen River and Downs Road car parks was agreed by local politicians at their monthly meeting on Monday night, with the move coming in the wake of mounting concern about the number of parking spaces motorhome owners take up when they park their vehicles.

The barriers are part of a two-pronged approach to ensure parking spaces are not lost to the large vehicles. In addition to erecting barriers, council officials are to examine the possibility of providing dedicated motorhome parking at the Islands Park or an area currently used as an overflow car park at the rear of Donard Park.

Councillor Laura Devlin said in some cases, motorhome owners park beside one another which significantly reduces spaces for other vehicles.

She said under health and safety legislation, motorhomes must park five metres apart and that the problems the vehicles are causing “cannot be kicked down the road any longer.”

Councillor Devlin added: “I fully welcome motorhomes to Newcastle and value the revenue they bring to the town. I am happy to proceed with looking at Islands Park as a potential base for these vehicles and having spoken to a number of motorhome owners, this location would be their preference.”

Councillor Willie Clarke said the presence of motorhomes in a number of car parks has been a source of “tension and frustration for many,” particularly in relation to the loss of spaces at the Glen River car park.

“It is important that we remain motorhome friendly as Newcastle is a tourist destination and while Islands Park has been suggested as one possible base, if we cannot find a suitable site for the motorhomes this is going to create problems in other parts of the town.” he continued.

“It is important the barriers that are erected complement Newcastle given the huge investment there has been in the resort over recent years. We must not do anything that will in any way diminish what is a beautiful area.”

Councillor Clarke said it would be important that before pressing ahead with any concrete plans for dedicated motorhome spaces at the Islands Park area to consult with local residents.

He added: “A parking area at the rear of Donard Park would still allow motorhome owners to have access to a range of facilities which are close to businesses and amenities.”

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Newcastle parking

· 
Posted: 24.01.2018  ·  #2
I wonder could councilor Devlin produce the Health and Safety legislation which states that motorhomes must be parked 5m apart, I have looked through some of the H&S legislation and can find no reference to motorhomes.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2018  ·  #3
I suspect he has got the idea from some club like the Caravan Club where they have a minimum spacing

dealgan
Love's the Craic
Homepage: declangrady.com
My Motorhome: 2006 Knaus Sun Traveller 650LG-RM
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci140
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2018  ·  #4
I did wonder about the 5m spacing. Seems like a lot of distance.

Wasn't there some sort of stipulation about campsites having a distance between caravans to prevent fire spreading ? It may have been a caravan club regulation ?

edit: Beaten to it by TommyS :)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Newcastle parking

· 
Posted: 24.01.2018  ·  #5
Its the spacing for static mobile homes in a holiday park.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2018  ·  #6
As far as I know its an advisory by planning and the fire authority but not enshrined in legislation by the HSE. I see it as a smokescreen to make other councilors agree to do something under the guise of H&S, as usual the truth has nothing to do with it, but I am open for correction.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.