Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

TESCO Mobile

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #1
Hi,

Had issues with Tesco mobile this year and found some a work around. If you know you are going away - I would query it with them first. The customer service chap slipped into the conversation that they effectively had a "bad batch" of SIMs that had an in-compatability with roaming (I believe it was possibly specific to the Iphone). If you have one of those SIMs, there's nothing you can do - but get it changed!

The solution otherwise, is to go to:

- settings
- Sim applications
- "when abroad" and change network selection to Manual.
- It's an almighty pain in the butt. However - it does work. It should work even if you don't do it in advance of entering the new territory.

E.g. when travelling north of the border - I've had to pull in, switch it and then manually connect to a network.

hope that helps someone!

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: TESCO Mobile

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #2
:up:

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #3
Nice one Killian

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #4
Was in Scotland in may and had 4 days no coverage, in France now and it's just scraping coverage, they are using the cheapest local services they can get, the old 02 system at home 2g occasional 3g, going to try your suggestion now Killian

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #5
Let me know how it goes... Fingers crossed it helps!

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #6
No still sh1t but I'm not on IPhone using the android

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2017  ·  #7
Quote by killiand

Hi,

Had issues with Tesco mobile this year and found some a work around. If you know you are going away - I would query it with them first. The customer service chap slipped into the conversation that they effectively had a "bad batch" of SIMs that had an in-compatability with roaming (I believe it was possibly specific to the Iphone). If you have one of those SIMs, there's nothing you can do - but get it changed!

The solution otherwise, is to go to:

- settings
- Sim applications
- "when abroad" and change network selection to Manual.
- It's an almighty pain in the butt. However - it does work. It should work even if you don't do it in advance of entering the new territory.

E.g. when travelling north of the border - I've had to pull in, switch it and then manually connect to a network.

hope that helps someone!

Thanks for that but only partially successful with me. Here's the story.

So just back from France and I had the same issues. When I turn the phone on (Samsung Galaxy S5, Android) it would get data roaming. But after about 90m seconds and message came up saying something like SIM data updated and then the data roaming disappeared. My wife who also has an Android phone did not even get this little bit of data roaming, she got nothing at all. Anyway I found this work around on the second last day. But still strange things happened. Sometimes the Tesco Mobile Sim app disappeared and do not re-appear for a few minutes. But eventually I did all of this and after choosing Manual I was presented with two networks. I tried the International but that didn't work. Then I tried the National which is TESCO IMSI and bingo! It worked. That night I turned the phone off to conserve the battery power and the next day back to square one. No data roaming. So I've emailed Tesco to ask them what is going on. I heard that some of their SIMs may be faulty so we'll see. I'll keep the forum informed. Joe

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2017  ·  #8
Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2017  ·  #9
By any chance the phones that you are using, were they purchased from tesco along with the sim card, or were these phones orginally registered with another network?
When you change networks, the new operator sends about 5/6 configuration messages to your handset for installation. These configuration messages will only be successful if the orginal network releases the security codes to enable the updates.
Personal, I reckon that the data problem is one of 3 situation,
- the orginal network provider has the data security code
- the data configuration message was missed or balls up in the update
- the current network operator mentioned above has a bad roaming policy in that they are not allowing your phone to choose the strongest network available.
Currently we are on the ID network, carphone warehouse, and when we were in France during August, I contacted ID before travelling and they assured us that their roaming services were operating properly aboard. A few minutes later a configuration text arrived which we accepted. Upon the sight of France from the boat deck our phone locked onto a french service and operated flawless during our visit, in fact the quality of service was far better there than here.

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.10.2017  ·  #10
The phones were not Tesco phones originally. And I can't remember what the original networks were. We bought both second hand, one in Ireland and one in England.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.10.2017  ·  #11
In France now and have not had more than 50% signal strength mostly 25% sometimes 0% tried to use data and didn't even get a old and fashioned dial tone noise, using Tesco phone and sim

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.10.2017  ·  #12
Quote by eirebus

In France now and have not had more than 50% signal strength mostly 25% sometimes 0% tried to use data and didn't even get a old and fashioned dial tone noise, using Tesco phone and sim

Obviously Tesco mobile roaming partner in France must not be up to the job of providing good coverage. I think that you should make a complaint to Tesco mobile about your difficulties.
Malcolm

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.10.2017  ·  #13
I had data problem back in 2015 whilst roaming in France but for the two phone calls i did make there was no bother,

I was using iphone something or other,
Text was ok aswell,

Look on the bright side lads,
No phone ringing annoying you whilst away enjoying a break

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #14
Quote by mad max

I had data problem back in 2015 whilst roaming in France but for the two phone calls i did make there was no bother,

Text was ok aswell,

Thanks. My problem was that with a van with a seized engine I needed data roaming to find mechanics, tow trucks etc. So a real problem that I could only get internet access with wifi which wasn't available on the side of a dual carriageway!! I want to make sure that this doesn't happen again and if Tesco mobile won't work then I'll have to change to another operator.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #15
I don't use the phone much but when I need it I expect it to work and I just can't trust Tesco to do this at home or abroad they seem to be using the cheapest Steam driven network s they can get their hands on the old O 2 network at home . Carphone warehouse Id seems more reliable for a rare phone user like me

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #16
Quote by joeirish

Quote by mad max

Text was ok aswell,

Thanks. My problem was that with a van with a seized engine I needed data roaming to find mechanics, tow trucks etc. So a real problem that I could only get internet access with wifi which wasn't available on the side of a dual carriageway!! I want to make sure that this doesn't happen again and if Tesco mobile won't work then I'll have to change to another operator.

Different thread Joe,

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #17
Quote by mad max

Quote by joeirish

Quote by mad max

Text was ok aswell,

Different thread Joe,

No I was referring to your comment about no annoying phone calls. Sometimes even when enjoying a break a phone is necessary.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #18
Quote by eirebus

I don't use the phone much but when I need it I expect it to work and I just can't trust Tesco to do this at home or abroad they seem to be using the cheapest Steam driven network s they can get their hands on the old O 2 network at home . Carphone warehouse Id seems more reliable for a rare phone user like me

As I said earlier, I am with carphone warehouse ID network, which is also on the old o2 network. When in Ireland coverage can be iffy went you go very rural. It seems to really good near most towns and cities. After been in France this summer i couldn't fault the coverage available.
Malcolm
Ps, ID is cheaper than tesco because you can tailor your plan according to your usage.

Davidod
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Itineo FB650
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X250
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #19
I spent three weeks in France between August and September without any 3/4g mobile broadband despite switching operators between every available operator in various locations. I was only able receive SMS Texts but I could not not send them. While I was in France my son was in Italy (also using Tesco Mobile), he initially had the same problem but was able to get his mobile broadband by changing operators. I ended up using locally available WiFi services to get internet connections.

On my return I contacted Tesco Mobile and was also told about the issue as described above. Both my son and myself are using unlocked OnePlus 3 phones and obviously everyone's principal concern is that we need certainty for our nest trip that preferably this issue is completely sorted or at the worst we will be able to manually change to a working solution.

The big concern is that none of us will be able to test this until we are abroad by which time it will be too late if we find that our mobile broadband is not working.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #20
With a breakdown like Joe had you need to be sure of a good phone service and Tesco are not providing one , once in rural locations it doesn't work I mainly had less than 50# signal and alot of 0#

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #21
I've travelled north of the border a couple of times and had to connect to UK networks manually - and it worked and streamed google maps. But when I was in Bulgaria, the congestion (I'm guessing )must've been savage as between 9 and 9 there was no actual ability to use the Internet despite it showing 3G... Might be time to write to Tesco and get a formal response!!

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #22
Jees didnt realise it was that patchy whilst roamimg,
I only used the phone twice in the two weeks away in france in 2015 so i didnt really notice it that much,
Must keep a closer eye on things going forward

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #23
The good networks like Orange in France are not available on Tesco

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #24
joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2017  ·  #25
Quote by killiand

so on the sim issue.... https://www.tescomobile.ie/hel…travelling (iphone roaming issue) and the solution: http://www.tescomobile.ie/iphonesimexchange

But that doesn't solve the quality issue so will drop a note on that and see what's said!

Nor does it seem to be for Android phones. I wonder if anybody has any definitive solution for Android phones. I have had some comms wit Tesco folk and their solution regarding APNs etc was what I had already done.

So not sure what to do now except explore other operators. So who is the best for SIM only in France would folks say.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2017  ·  #26
Meteor have a €20 offer currently if you port your number,
Free calls free texts & 15gig data (4g )

One of my work colleagues (also with tesco mobile) is in hungry at the moment and cannot pick up any signal, lucky he had watts app and can communicate that way,
Both him and I are thinking about changing as not much use outside Ireland

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2017  ·  #27
I'm the same as you Joe , if I had a problem coverage was useless , ok in city's but we are rarely in city's ,

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

TESCO Mobile

· 
Posted: 06.10.2017  ·  #28
I don't know about foreign, but my wife's Tesco Service is crap down in the Hook .she looses connection until the phone picks up WiFi in the pub and the the phone service work's

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.10.2017  ·  #29
Quote by Thorn123

Quote by eirebus

As I said earlier, I am with carphone warehouse ID network, which is also on the old o2 network. When in Ireland coverage can be iffy went you go very rural. It seems to really good near most towns and cities. After been in France this summer i couldn't fault the coverage available.
Malcolm
Ps, ID is cheaper than tesco because you can tailor your plan according to your usage.

Anybody else use ID in rural areas (where we live is very rural)?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.10.2017  ·  #30
@ Joe
Try and get a sim pay as you go in an old phone,
Thats what im doing with meteor (or what ever thry are called this week)
Sim should be deluivered by tuesday or wednesday,

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2017  ·  #31
And has anybody used iD in France or Germany. Does data roaming work with this SIM only offering.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2017  ·  #32
Quote by mad max

Thats what im doing with meteor (or what ever thry are called this week)
Sim should be deluivered by tuesday or wednesday,

Eir (formely Meteor) not working for me,
ID sim delivered today so the trial begins,
Im work mainly in galway county and with this new work cloud computer package the internet in rural areas will be a big bonus if it works,

Ill report back with feedback if anybody wants?

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2017  ·  #33
Please do! I'm struggling me for coverage at home near Kinnegad, so any feedback welcome!

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2017  ·  #34
Quote by killiand

Please do! I'm struggling me for coverage at home near Kinnegad, so any feedback welcome!

Well,
The news is good so far,
I was back west (renvyle & tullycross) on friday and and ballinasloe & Athline area today most out of the town calls,
Had coverage everywhere that i checked except one spot in renvyle that no phone has coverage so cant really fault ID for that,

Also figured that with the €15 top up you can buy add on out of that so you can have a nice little package all for €15 a month and still not be tied to a contract,
I had planned taking a bill with ID but im not going to bother now just open the webpage reguster visa details and just top up when needed,

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2017  ·  #35
Excellent, will have a proper look into them now - thanks for the feedback! 👍

Interestingly, since the storm where we lost more or less all coverage - ie had 3G in the house when I never had it before (probably jinx myself!!)

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2017  ·  #36
Its important to remember that ID only do 3G only as they are based on the old 02 network.
As I posted before we opted for bill pay because it's so easy to change your plan online for the next month. From November I will reduce my data down to a small amount because the MH will be parked alot more and I can use work and home wifi. After next Easter I will jack it up again.
Malcolm

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2017  ·  #37
Im getting 4g Malcolm

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2017  ·  #38
Quote by mad max

Im getting 4g Malcolm

Cool, they must be upgrading their network.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2017  ·  #39
Maybe i should have said that differently,
It says 4g on my phone at times but i must do a speed test the next time for the craic and see what the 4g speed actually is,

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2017  ·  #40
My phone is only 3g so I can't check.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.